Negotiations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Negotiations

Post by tango308 »

pirep wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:21 pm Aka endless stream of 250hr pilots from colleges. No need to raise wages with that demand!
This is not the type of candidate that Jazz is after at the moment. The endless stream of Seneca student is useless without someone sitting next to them with an ATPL. Now how to attract those? Not with PCC ads that's for sure.

If this is not solved quickly (aka within 2-3 months) I predict Jazz will be parking aircraft for the summer '23 dues to lack of captains.
---------- ADS -----------

Nick678
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nick678 »

It doesn’t seem that jazz is in a hurry to fill the 250 plus spots that are supposed to flow to AC by year end so I don’t think they’ll be parking planes anytime soon.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

If flow doesn’t make an attempt to reach the 250 gap by year end, I’m sure many will leave, resulting in Jazz being short staffed anyway.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Nick678 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:02 am It doesn’t seem that jazz is in a hurry to fill the 250 plus spots that are supposed to flow to AC by year end so I don’t think they’ll be parking planes anytime soon.
The simple reason is they can’t train that many people. They did a big wave of hiring recently, and adding all the upgrades, the training staff is 100% booked.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

If it's just a question of money then how much, is Porter remuneration the new "gold standard". What percentage of an increase would the negotiations to secure in order to elevate Jazz's pay scale to match Porter's.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I think pilots overestimate the amount who will just 'leave' because their flow is taking too long. Leave where? This is Canada, if you're at Jazz you've probably had your sights on Big Red the whole time and most aren't going to give that up to gamble at one of the rickety ULCC options. Even if you said WJ, well that's a coin toss you might as well ride it out at Jazz.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

sstaurus wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:02 am I think pilots overestimate the amount who will just 'leave' because their flow is taking too long. Leave where? This is Canada, if you're at Jazz you've probably had your sights on Big Red the whole time and most aren't going to give that up to gamble at one of the rickety ULCC options. Even if you said WJ, well that's a coin toss you might as well ride it out at Jazz.
It’s no longer a “gamble” though. AC hires more and more from Flair etc each groundschool.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

But would they look kindly on someone who quit jazz just to get around the flow? How long would you have to stay at Flair to be 'forgiven'...

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

sstaurus wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:03 pm But would they look kindly on someone who quit jazz just to get around the flow? How long would you have to stay at Flair to be 'forgiven'...
3 months at Swoop.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

sstaurus wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:03 pm But would they look kindly on someone who quit jazz just to get around the flow? How long would you have to stay at Flair to be 'forgiven'...
They don’t care one iota.

Nick678
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nick678 »

I talked to an AC recruiter and they give zero F***’s where you were before. They hire based on your credentials, flight experience, bilingualism, education, etc…

Considering they seem to be ignoring flow I suggest you leave and apply externally.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Fellow Pilots,

Over the past two weeks our Negotiating Committee had opportunities to meet with the Company. Though discussions are still open, the parties remain far apart.

We will communicate more information at the end of the week.

In solidarity,

JAZ MEC

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:56 pm Fellow Pilots,

Over the past two weeks our Negotiating Committee had opportunities to meet with the Company. Though discussions are still open, the parties remain far apart.

In solidarity,

JAZ MEC
The employer is not obliged to move off status quo in a closed CBA.

And the pilot employees are not obliged to mitigate the impact of that choice by the employer.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

If you keep accommodating the company by picking up trips on your days off ... where’s your leverage ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

In solidarity,

JAZ MEC
Tis' the industry standard. We'll see if Jazz management moves the ball when the Encore management proposal comes out.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

daedalusx wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 pm If you keep accommodating the company by picking up trips on your days off ... where’s your leverage ?
I will never criticize or judge a FO making 42k/year doing a WDO. If the individual needs the extra revenue, go for it, it’s within the CBA that we as a group voted for. I am nobody to judge a person’s personal situation.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

averageatbest wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:58 pm

In solidarity,

JAZ MEC
Tis' the industry standard. We'll see if Jazz management moves the ball when the Encore management proposal comes out.
The first ones with a new payscale are going to be Flair pilots.
If the pay is substantially higher than Encore/Jazz then we will see them increase their wawcons.

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:53 pm

In solidarity,

JAZ MEC
If the pay is substantially higher than Encore/Jazz then we will see them increase their wawcons.
So Encore and Jazz are both in contract negotiations? When can we expect a prediction or a sneak peek for the payscales and perdiems

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:21 pm
kiaszceski wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:53 pm

So Encore and Jazz are both in contract negotiations? When can we expect a prediction or a sneak peek for the payscales and perdiems
Not contract negotiations per se... they are both in discussions to solve the companies' problems for as cheap as possible. Unfortunately the pilot attraction and retention issues require expensive fixes.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”