YYZ Training offers?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

alphy89
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YYZ Training offers?

Post by alphy89 »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:30 pm It looks like recruiting for Spring 2023 at YYZ is done. If they continue with the usual trend, the next course will likely be in Fall 2023.
Hoping for fall then!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by alphy89 on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RiderYYZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RiderYYZ »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:30 pm It looks like recruiting for Spring 2023 at YYZ is done. If they continue with the usual trend, the next course will likely be in Fall 2023.
I assume I would be looking at the fall 2023 course? Im guessing that because i and others are now eligible it means that all offers for spring we’re already sent prior to them making us eligible?

nvcatc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nvcatc »

alphy89 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:45 pm
Ahh that's too bad. I would've accepted my IFR YVR offer. It's unfortunate NAV Canada didn't communicate back with me and declined my offer and moved my application without actually confirming this is what I wanted to do. Still waiting to hear back from an email I sent last week too :|

Shucks.
You mention in your other post that you have to move to YYZ. Not sure what your timeline is for that, but if you'd accepted the YVR offer and assuming you license, at minimum you would be stuck in YVR for 4 years before being able to transfer. Transferring is based on seniority, so it's unlikely you'd get to Toronto on your first bid, and then when you are successful at bidding to the area you want, the specialty you're currently in will also need to be able to release you (which can potentially take more years). So if YYZ is where you want to be, then it's probably best to move your application now rather than start in YVR. You could be stuck in YVR for a long time.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

nvcatc wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:10 pm then when you are successful at bidding to the area you want, the specialty you're currently in will also need to be able to release you (which can potentially take more years).
And not to mention you have to actually train and be successful there. Not a guarantee you’ll succeed, but at least guaranteed return rights if you don’t. Some do it, don’t see the value in it and pull the plug on themselves.

I’d guess that if you started training in YVR today you can estimate maybe 6-7 years at the earliest to bid to somewhere in YYZ. With low seniority, you’ll likely get to win a bid to places no one else really wants to go, either. If the list is long, it’s because it’s desirable and generally won by the old folks.

alphy89
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alphy89 »

Yea it makes sense to do the switch now for time sake

Last edited by alphy89 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

Edit: user quoted asked to have content removed.

Last edited by atcguy98 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
alphy89
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alphy89 »

It's true, it seems courses are full. Unfortunately, my application will close in January 2023 as I applied right before covid in Jan 2020. Hoping it can be extended for Fall.

Last edited by alphy89 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

Edit: user quoted asked to have content removed.

Last edited by atcguy98 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
guanin2999
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by guanin2999 »

alphy89 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:08 pm It's true, it seems courses are full. Unfortunately, my application will close in January 2023 as I applied right before covid in Jan 2020. Hoping for Fall

It's unfortunate but it is what it is
This is anecdotal and I don't want to give you false hope but:

I originally applied Oct 2019, and only became eligible for an offer last Jun 2022. My application stayed open past the supposed expiration of Oct 2022, and received an offer 2 weeks ago.

I think they changed the way applications expire, and now count 3 years from the last change in status. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RiderYYZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RiderYYZ »

guanin2999 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:04 pm
alphy89 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:08 pm It's true, it seems courses are full. Unfortunately, my application will close in January 2023 as I applied right before covid in Jan 2020. Hoping for Fall

It's unfortunate but it is what it is
This is anecdotal and I don't want to give you false hope but:

I originally applied Oct 2019, and only became eligible for an offer last Jun 2022. My application stayed open past the supposed expiration of Oct 2022, and received an offer 2 weeks ago.

I think they changed the way applications expire, and now count 3 years from the last change in status. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
DO NOT TAKE MY WORD AS 100% BUT, I was told that Nav Canada changed how applications are handled. They more or less do not expire per say. I believe when you are at the "Eligible for offer" stage, they CAN expire but only then. Again im not certain but I believe that was how it was explained to me when I attended the bootcamp in October.

Zyepherjr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zyepherjr »

Hey spring 2023 classmates! Just wondering how you guys are doing. I received my cat2 and emailed a copy over to nav canada. I suppose all we are to do now is go through the ABC as many times as possible until we're contacted with further instructions. My start date is May 30 so I guess I should be receiving that information towards the end of the month. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”