Retention Bonus Announced

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Retention Bonus Announced

Post by goingmissed »

With the recent announcement of the retention bonus (aka. Long Service Award), what are your thoughts? Is it enough? Will it change your mind when it comes to leaving?
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Retention Bonus Announced

Post by flyinhigh »

OH, do tell.

What are the details?

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

flyinhigh wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:01 am OH, do tell.

What are the details?
50 after 5 years.

No multiplication required there... a whopping $50 gift card to the WestJet merch store on your five-year anniversary.

You can't even buy a belt with that: https://westjetstore.com/collections/ap ... -padre-tan

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

Encore retention bonus announced finally!!! First they gave us free coffee from Tim Hortons as a reward for our hardwork during summer. Now retention bonus. See I told you guys no other company values its employees like Encore. :smt040

Attachments
E6E47335-4193-4899-8D39-AB4528531D7A.jpeg
E6E47335-4193-4899-8D39-AB4528531D7A.jpeg (266.64 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

BAHAHAHAH. I was having this exact conversation the other day about bonuses that are actually a slap in the face.

Oh goodie, you've bent me over for 5 years and now you are at least going to provide the lube...

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

This has to be a joke.

Right??

Jeeze you guys should jump ship. Go to Flair. AC is hiring hundreds. Why on EARTH anyone would stay at encore or let alone 'flow' to WJ is beyond me.

This is an insult to your group. I'm sorry to hear you guys and gals are in this position.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I don't know what kind of moronic 25-year-old project manager assistant straight out of college, dreamed up that stupid idea during the latest crazy-eights brainstorming workshop session with the equally braindead exec that signed it off, but if you're going to give a 50$ gift card, to be redeemed on your own company store, for a 5 years of service gift, you're way way way better off just doing nothing and not mentioning it. Sometimes, less is more.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

This actually has to be a joke... This is beyond pathetic, it is actually extremely insulting for an outsider, nevermind for those who work there.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

twa22 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:54 am This actually has to be a joke... This is beyond pathetic, it is actually extremely insulting for an outsider, nevermind for those who work there.
The best part was that this came in the same email where they stated that they think we need constant approval, so they have removed the "High Five" system where we could acknowledge outstanding acts by our coworkers and replaced it with a vague promise for something else.
We know recognition is important to WestJetters. Having an environment where being appreciated is a valued part of the work experience and is top-of-mind for all of us. We are currently building the framework for how daily recognition will be shared going forward to ensure consistent and ongoing opportunities to recognize others (and be recognized ourselves!).

While the tool we use will change, WestJet’s overall recognition philosophy will not. We look forward to sharing more in the weeks to come. Until then, we encourage you to continue expressing your gratitude, acknowledging your peers, and saying thank you for a job well done regularly in your interactions with each other; this can include face-to-face, emails, or by leveraging the Praise functions available on Microsoft Teams and Yammer.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:18 am Encore retention bonus announced finally!!! First they gave us free coffee from Tim Hortons as a reward for our hardwork during summer. Now retention bonus. See I told you guys no other company values its employees like Encore. :smt040

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

goingmissed wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:25 am
twa22 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:54 am This actually has to be a joke... This is beyond pathetic, it is actually extremely insulting for an outsider, nevermind for those who work there.
The best part was that this came in the same email where they stated that they think we need constant approval, so they have removed the "High Five" system where we could acknowledge outstanding acts by our coworkers and replaced it with a vague promise for something else.
We know recognition is important to WestJetters. Having an environment where being appreciated is a valued part of the work experience and is top-of-mind for all of us. We are currently building the framework for how daily recognition will be shared going forward to ensure consistent and ongoing opportunities to recognize others (and be recognized ourselves!).

While the tool we use will change, WestJet’s overall recognition philosophy will not. We look forward to sharing more in the weeks to come. Until then, we encourage you to continue expressing your gratitude, acknowledging your peers, and saying thank you for a job well done regularly in your interactions with each other; this can include face-to-face, emails, or by leveraging the Praise functions available on Microsoft Teams and Yammer.

I just don't understand how these people who get paid high 6 figures (if not 7 figures) think that this is ok when the US carriers are offering 5 figure sign on bonuses (or at least they were)

Like, how blind and childish is this management, even a 15 year old would laugh at this :rolleyes:

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

twa22 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:12 pm

I just don't understand how these people who get paid high 6 figures (if not 7 figures) think that this is ok when the US carriers are offering 5 figure sign on bonuses (or at least they were)

Like, how blind and childish is this management, even a 15 year old would laugh at this :rolleyes:
To be fair to the company, this "longevity award" is not a bonus specifically for pilots, but for all employees. It still highlights the fact that the company thinks that $10 a year is something that we are all (even our call center agents) going to admire and appreciate. It feels more like someone leaving 3 cents as a 'tip' versus nothing at all.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

goingmissed wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:55 pm
twa22 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:12 pm

To be fair to the company, this "longevity award" is not a bonus specifically for pilots, but for all employees. It still highlights the fact that the company thinks that $10 a year is something that we are all (even our call center agents) going to admire and appreciate. It feels more like someone leaving 3 cents as a 'tip' versus nothing at all.
That's even worse then, but yea, fully agree with what you and others have said, just don't give anything, less of a slap in the face then this garbage...

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

goingmissed wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:09 am 50 after 5 years.

No multiplication required there... a whopping $50 gift card to the WestJet merch store on your five-year anniversary.

You can't even buy a belt with that: https://westjetstore.com/collections/ap ... -padre-tan
Well now I'm disappointed. I should have stuck around for an extra 6 months or so to get my bonus. :lol: :lol:

The place I worked before encore had the same system. The day I got my 5 year company store certificate, I was deeply insulted. It cemented my intention to leave.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

This is very embarrassing.....and funny at same time.

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Just so everyone is clear - the long service award is applied company wide to all employees. It's not an announcement to do with pilots specifically and labour negotiations with ALPA.
The announcement is just furthering the company's plan to keep improving operations company wide and address the employees as a whole.
At 25 years of employment - you get a one time allotment of 2 weeks paid vacation days. That applies to pilots.
A 25 year pilot gets 6 weeks, in your 25th year specifically you would receive 8 weeks, 26th year 6 weeks, based on today's Collective agreement.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

seriousflyer wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:14 pm Just so everyone is clear - the long service award is applied company wide to all employees. It's not an announcement to do with pilots specifically and labour negotiations with ALPA.
The announcement is just furthering the company's plan to keep improving operations company wide and address the employees as a whole.
At 25 years of employment - you get a one time allotment of 2 weeks paid vacation days. That applies to pilots.
A 25 year pilot gets 6 weeks, in your 25th year specifically you would receive 8 weeks, 26th year 6 weeks, based on today's Collective agreement.
“Furthering company’s plan to keep improving operations” MY A$$. Even if they now want to sit at the table to discuss retention its too late.

TheTurdBurglar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheTurdBurglar »

Let's not pretend this is actually $50.....

It's 50 "credits" towards the gift shop, so you can further brand yourself (on your own dime, when you have to pay the difference owing) after your 5 years of hard dedication.

This is both the saddest and funniest thing I've read on avcanada in a long, long time.

Return to “WestJet Encore”