Other forthcoming CAR changes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Other forthcoming CAR changes

Post by photofly »

Aside from changes to flight test pass requirements (viewtopic.php?t=172411) there are some other, minor, changes in progress:

Student Pilot Permits (Helicopter) will be validated by a class IV medical (as SPP-aeroplanes are now).

Flight time requirements for written exams will be reduced to 25% of the hours requirements for the licence or permit (down from 50% at present) and to only 5 hours for a PPL or PP-R.

A category 4 medical will be adequate for the flight test for PPL and CPL (so you don't need to have the category 1 or 3 medical to complete the training) - which is making permanent a COVID exemption.

All 70x operators will be required to produce SOPs, regardless of the complexity of the aircraft or the number of crew - even single pilot operations.

The word 'cockpit' is being replaced with 'flight deck', which will, I'm sure, tickle some of the more conservative readers here.

NOTAM will no longer be an acronym for NOtice To AirMen - but will be a word in its own right.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Other forthcoming CAR changes

Post by digits_ »

Those all seem neutral or good changes.

The notam one seems to be highly symbolic though. I doubt Canada has the power to sungle handedly redefine an internationally used definition.

If it's a word, we shouldn't write it in caps anymore either.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:06 pm Those all seem neutral or good changes.

The notam one seems to be highly symbolic though. I doubt Canada has the power to sungle handedly redefine an internationally used definition.

According to the TC document, "the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) doesn’t refer to
“NOTAM” as an acronym but rather a universally used term" - so this is Canada following, not leading, the international body.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

If mankind is now peoplekind, why is airmen not airpersons?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Because NOTAPs aren’t a thing?

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

All 70x operators required to produce and follow SOP's?! Watch the 702 & 703 VFR helicopter operators scramble to write something that vaguely reflects their operation and convince the 8 different personalities with a combined 50,000hrs that they should be doing things "the standard way".

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

photofly wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:16 pm Because NOTAPs aren’t a thing?
Correct. I went to Nashville a few weeks ago and they explicitly called it "NOTAMs (Notice to Air MIssion)" on the D-ATIS.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

averageatbest wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:33 am
photofly wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:16 pm Because NOTAPs aren’t a thing?
Correct. I went to Nashville a few weeks ago and they explicitly called it "NOTAMs (Notice to Air MIssion)" on the D-ATIS.
This, I like.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Notam will be NoTice to Air Missions.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

kiaszceski wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:35 am Notam will be NoTice to Air Missions.
That would have to be NOtice To Air Missions. But per the TC document (did you bother to read it?) only in FAA-land. The Rest Of The World is sticking with NOTAM as a non-acronym.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

photofly wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:44 pm
Flight time requirements for written exams will be reduced to 25% of the hours requirements for the licence or permit (down from 50% at present) and to only 5 hours for a PPL or PP-R.
So this would mean that you could write the SARON and SAMRA at 375 hours as opposed to the current 750 hours.

What's the benefit in that? If I remember correctly, once you write both exams, you have 2 years to acquire the required time and apply for the ATPL, otherwise you have to rewrite the exam... I know there's something about that 2 years being frozen if you do a PPC (or recurrent?) after you've written the exams, but I don't recall the exact rules so if someone can clarify these two points please

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

photofly wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:37 am
kiaszceski wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:35 am Notam will be NoTice to Air Missions.
That would have to be NOtice To Air Missions. But per the TC document (did you bother to read it?) only in FAA-land. The Rest Of The World is sticking with NOTAM as a non-acronym.
No, because Canada and TC are just puppets, so sooner or later it will become what Uncle Sam is saying.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:10 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:06 pm Those all seem neutral or good changes.

According to the TC document, "the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) doesn’t refer to
“NOTAM” as an acronym but rather a universally used term" - so this is Canada following, not leading, the international body.
Looks like I learned something new today!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

One change I wish TC would make is for there to be a requirement for actual IMC for the instrument rating. The fact that you can conduct an entire instrument rating in "simulated conditions" beggars belief.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

How do you feel about people getting Helicopter instrument ratings in helicopters that aren’t approved for IFR flight (which is almost all of them)?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

What date are these new rules coming into effect?
Specifically the SOPs for all aircraft?
Thanks

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Loading... wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:51 pm What date are these new rules coming into effect?
Thanks
They’re still proposals at the moment, supposedly zero cost and low impact and therefore zero controversy. If you disagree or otherwise want to comment, you can email CARAC before 30 November.

I would expect the amendments to go through in a couple of years’ time.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Choppermech1986 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:21 pm All 70x operators required to produce and follow SOP's?! Watch the 702 & 703 VFR helicopter operators scramble to write something that vaguely reflects their operation and convince the 8 different personalities with a combined 50,000hrs that they should be doing things "the standard way".
HAHA I can hardly wait.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

kiaszceski wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:50 am
photofly wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:37 am
No, because Canada and TC are just puppets, so sooner or later it will become what Uncle Sam is saying.
If that were entirely true then the ADS-B mandate would be for the U.S.-only 978 MHz UAT and not the 1090 MHz ES.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

photofly wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:56 pm
Loading... wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:51 pm What date are these new rules coming into effect?
Thanks
They’re still proposals at the moment, supposedly zero cost and low impact and therefore zero controversy. If you disagree or otherwise want to comment, you can email CARAC before 30 November.

I would expect the amendments to go through in a couple of years’ time.
So they're proposals, not actual changes that are forthcoming anytime soon...

Return to “General Comments”