AME pay scales on the rise !

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AME pay scales on the rise !

Post by SeptRepair »

orion3 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:26 am Rest period
169.2 (1) Every employee is entitled to and shall be granted a rest period of at least eight consecutive hours between work periods or shifts.

This is why Transport Canada does not currently have it in the CAR's.

Cheers
I'm a contractor, that rule only applies to "employees". In all seriousness, if they ever mandated a duty day ( as well as enforced it) like they due for the pilots, the industry would be in even worse shape then it is now. When on fires etc, there are very few days a person can expect to be away for more than 8 hours from work, let alone get rest for 8 hours.
---------- ADS -----------

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Curious how “the industry would be in even worse shape”? Seems to me that the 40 hour work week is actually quite antiquated. Europe is way ahead in pushing 32 hours. Quality of life hence productivity goes way up. The whole grinding it out is the way of the dodo. No one will care that you “gave er”.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

-42 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:11 pm Curious how “the industry would be in even worse shape”? Seems to me that the 40 hour work week is actually quite antiquated. Europe is way ahead in pushing 32 hours. Quality of life hence productivity goes way up. The whole grinding it out is the way of the dodo. No one will care that you “gave er”.
I think work relationships between AME’s and employers, especially operators, are very strained in Canada.
More companies than not don’t respect the profession, just consider it a necessary evil for day to day operations.
Competent knowledgeable AME’s being paid similar to fresh licenses is another thing quite common these days. I don’t think as a group there are any champions for AME’s, and, as a whole are very ill represented not only in aviation, but as a profession in Canada in general.
The hours of work cited by airframe and engine manufacturers are never respected (standard repair times etc) let alone even known about largely. It’s always the same thing, every job is handled like it’s the first time no matter how many times it’s been done. The 40 hour work week has never existed in my career except at the manufacturer. I think duty day enforced by TC would be a positive step in the right direction to correct manpower (bring wages up), but that’s just my opinion.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Well at Pacific Coastal who is now owned by big brother Westjet who has slaughtered their staff by using Swoop to devastate their staff has deemed us “family” by offering 35.09 an hour for your blood, sweat and tears. Well you’ll probably get your government mandated sick pay, holiday pay and dental(now) so the total package should be less than 10 years ago. But you will get buddy passes that you’ll never be able to use as you will always be working and dog ass tired from your graveyard shift. Enjoy people! Your family!

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Well at Pacific Coastal who is now owned by big brother Westjet who has slaughtered their staff by using Swoop to devastate their staff has deemed us “family” by offering 35.09 an hour for your blood, sweat and tears. Well you’ll probably get your government mandated sick pay, holiday pay and dental(now) so the total package should be less than 10 years ago. But you will get buddy passes that you’ll never be able to use as you will always be working and dog ass tired from your graveyard shift. Enjoy people! Your family!

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Not sure if Im reading that correctly...they just offered $35.09 a hour to live/work in Vancouver???

If thats true, what were they paying previously?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

It’s called “indentured servitude” or as they say in Canada “industry standard”. Well it’s 35.09 but when you take on ACA or babysitting seven apprentice/engineers screw ups
you will get an extra few bucks…..well worth it. Feel like standing in an airport these days on standby for your vacation? What a benefit that is eh? Plus your boot allowance WOW thanks Westjet!

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

I remember getting a bit less than that 20 years ago on the south side. That operator is no longer around but I have to wonder wtf pasco was paying back then.

I remember they used to let a lot of guys go as soon as the fall came around, but most came back in the spring, or so I think. They always had a TON of greenhorns running around there. A real nerve shattering experience for most crew chiefs, lol.

BCIT's best and brightest. You ever hear the story about the "contactless tire pressure gauge"?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

No I did not hear that one. I did have a BCIT “foreign” student/graduate bring me a pair of pump pliers when I asked for a crescent wrench. Honest mistake after 18 months of school…..

Integra_Air
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Integra_Air »

-42 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:36 am Well at Pacific Coastal who is now owned by big brother Westjet
No they're not. Wherever you got that info it's wrong.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

A crescent wrench? You were working on ground equipment right?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Sorry I meant “All 1/16th’s”. Purist.

Rustybeard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rustybeard »

Just a heads up those us wages posted earlier are based off an exchange rate of ( 1.25) at our current exchange rate (1.33) these top wages from the states are almost $80 Canadian an hour. So you could move south and basically double your top wage with what we currently have here.

223DF62A-1955-4FBF-875A-F49EA76C79EF.jpeg
223DF62A-1955-4FBF-875A-F49EA76C79EF.jpeg (235.49 KiB) Viewed 971 times

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

The exchange rate is one thing,but for me, the insane rate of taxation in this country is the bigger negative.

And preemptively, I dont want to hear from any flag draped window licker bellow about "free" health care in canada vs the US.
I've been witness to and witnessed exactly how shit it is for a long time. People who have not experienced anywhere else that is comparable(taxation wise) are usually the ones who parrot that beyond stupid statement.

You get what you pay for applies.

Im getting a bit longer in the tooth, but if the US made it easier for us to go there and work I most definetly would bail for a few years and leave this ever progressing leftist shithole as soon as would be allowed.

Couldn't really care less what happens to aviation here. Its at a point where crash and burn are inevitable.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Rustybeard wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:42 am Just a heads up those us wages posted earlier are based off an exchange rate of ( 1.25) at our current exchange rate (1.33) these top wages from the states are almost $80 Canadian an hour. So you could move south and basically double your top wage with what we currently have here.

Lots including myself have made the change but never more so than post pandemic.

Rustybeard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rustybeard »

Pat Richard wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:22 pm The exchange rate is one thing,but for me, the insane rate of taxation in this country is the bigger negative.

And preemptively, I dont want to hear from any flag draped window licker bellow about "free" health care in canada vs the US.
I've been witness to and witnessed exactly how shit it is for a long time. People who have not experienced anywhere else that is comparable(taxation wise) are usually the ones who parrot that beyond stupid statement.

You get what you pay for applies.

Im getting a bit longer in the tooth, but if the US made it easier for us to go there and work I most definetly would bail for a few years and leave this ever progressing leftist shithole as soon as would be allowed.

Couldn't really care less what happens to aviation here. Its at a point where crash and burn are inevitable.
I could definitely see something along those lines happening. The states could take very AME in Canada and still be short handed. I’m sure the they’ll have some incentives or at the very least easier immigration in the next couple years for these jobs.

Rustybeard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rustybeard »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:04 pm
Rustybeard wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:42 am Just a heads up those us wages posted earlier are based off an exchange rate of ( 1.25) at our current exchange rate (1.33) these top wages from the states are almost $80 Canadian an hour. So you could move south and basically double your top wage with what we currently have here.

Lots including myself have made the change but never more so than post pandemic.
How’s it going so far? Did you make the move permanently state side?

Return to “Maintenance”