Have you had Laser eye surgery?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

milezero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Have you had Laser eye surgery?

Post by milezero »

Hey all,

I'm currently a king air captain thinking about getting laser eye surgery. I've done the groundwork with the eye center, called my aviation doctor and read the TC info on it...I understand this blurb (from the TC website) means it will be at LEAST 30 days before I can fly again:
How long does one have to wait before returning to flying or Air Traffic Controller activities?
Return to flying must be delayed until TC/CAM has reviewed the results of the surgery. A follow-up report should be submitted 30 days after the procedure. You can fax or mail the report to the local RAMO and you should receive prompt notification that you can return to flying if all is satisfactory.
Has anyone gone through this recently and if so how long was the wait once you submitted the post-op form to get approval to go back flying. My biggest concern is getting caught in the TC medical typhoon for an indeterminate amount of time. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Have you had Laser eye surgery?

Post by negroni »

Took a month before I could send in my 30 day checkup form and then about two weeks to get the medical updated. You don't actually lose your medical you self ground. But you need the updated medical on your sticker with the restriction removed. TC took forever with it so as soon as I saw my online profile was updated I called and printed a temp. Look into all laser prk. London eye center, Pacific laser etc. I don't recommend Lasik especially if you have dry eyes already.

Best decision I've ever made. Wish I did it years earlier, it's completely changed my life. Just remember you get what your pay for. Going on 5 years with zero regression, in my late 30s. Was about -3.75 with astigmatism prior.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

You have to remember this is government, and they're fairly useless, impotent and slow to do anything. Just don't tell them you're getting it done. Get the surgery when you're on the start of a chunk of days off, preferably a week or two. If you're unlucky enough to have a complication ground yourself. Otherwise go back to work but collect and hang on to any reports from your post surgery follow up and just carry on with normal life. Don't even mention eye surgery during your annual medical, just ace the eye test.

Laser surgery was the best money I every spent.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

If you do it, go with the Relex Smile lasik technology. Best one is in Montréal but I think there’s one in Toronto and maybe YVR.

Much better success rate, quicker recovery, your eyes will be less sensitive to light and less halos at night. Don’t do the el cheapo 500$ Package on discounted 1990 era lasik tech

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

ragbagflyer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:49 am You have to remember this is government, and they're fairly useless, impotent and slow to do anything. Just don't tell them you're getting it done. Get the surgery when you're on the start of a chunk of days off, preferably a week or two. If you're unlucky enough to have a complication ground yourself. Otherwise go back to work but collect and hang on to any reports from your post surgery follow up and just carry on with normal life. Don't even mention eye surgery during your annual medical, just ace the eye test.

Laser surgery was the best money I every spent.
You do realize when you do your medical every year TC can and does access your personal medical files? I get the point of them being slow but eventually they are bound to find out.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

780Pilot wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:10 am
You do realize when you do your medical every year TC can and does access your personal medical files? I get the point of them being slow but eventually they are bound to find out.
I do realize that. When and if they do connect the dots they'll do nothing about it, especially if you just say oops and supply supporting documents from an eye exam. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
bwgilchrist
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bwgilchrist »

I had my eyes done prior to commencing flight training. I had monovision PRK Laser.

The monovision correction is essentially Lasik for bifocals - they adjust one eye for far and one for near.

It took quite a while dealing with Transport Canada on this to have them accept the treatment for my CAT 3 medical. As soon as I found the standard it was fine though ( my eyes weren't that bad).

When I went for my CAT 1 medical, it became more of an issue ( CAT 3 is corrected in both eyes, CAT 1 the standard is applied to each eye.). I was able to pass the both eyes and one of the two eyes, but couldn't pass the other eye. No huge issue though - went to the optometrist and has a set of lenses done up to correct both eyes to the same.

Biggest issue was trying to get the correct info on the standards out of TC.

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

I had Advanced LASIK in July 2021, it took 14 months to get my new sticker with the restriction removed.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ragbagflyer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:27 am
780Pilot wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:10 am
I do realize that. When and if they do connect the dots they'll do nothing about it, especially if you just say oops and supply supporting documents from an eye exam. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.
I don't know if it's true or not, but my CAME advised me that TC is quite specifically on the lookout for pilots whose eyesight suddenly and mysteriously improves, and like to throw the book at them. That means convictions under the Aeronautics Act, cancellation of aviation documents and worse. That was prior to COVID, so they may have other priorities now - but remember government wheels tend to grind very slowly, but very small.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

TurkeyFarmYQX wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:39 pm I had Advanced LASIK in July 2021, it took 14 months to get my new sticker with the restriction removed.
Could you fly in the meantime?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

photofly wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:00 pm I don't know if it's true or not, but my CAME advised me that TC is quite specifically on the lookout for pilots whose eyesight suddenly and mysteriously improves, and like to throw the book at them.
Couldn't you just get the surgery, and then when it comes to your next aviation medical, just fake that you still have poor vision? I can currently only read the top 3 lines without my contacts in. It would be simple to get the surgery, and then go to the medical and fake just being able to read the top 3 lines even though I would have 20/20. Just squint a bit and don't read any further down than you did last year.

I'm not advocating doing it, but it seems pretty simple if you want to fake it.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:26 pm
photofly wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:00 pm I don't know if it's true or not, but my CAME advised me that TC is quite specifically on the lookout for pilots whose eyesight suddenly and mysteriously improves, and like to throw the book at them.
Couldn't you just get the surgery, and then when it comes to your next aviation medical, just fake that you still have poor vision? I can currently only read the top 3 lines without my contacts in. It would be simple to get the surgery, and then go to the medical and fake just being able to read the top 3 lines even though I would have 20/20. Just squint a bit and don't read any further down than you did last year.

But you still have to read the bottom line, to pass. So then you put your fake zero prescription lens glasses on and *suddenly* you can read the bottom line?

Every six months, forever?

And then you still have “must wear glasses” on your medical, so you had better actually wear your fake zero prescription lens glasses every time you fly, you don’t want an inspector to catch you flying bare-eyed - your medical says you may not. And don’t forget to carry a spare pair of fake glasses, too.

So if you’re going to wear glasses every time you fly, what would be the point of surgery?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

photofly wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:50 pm
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:26 pm

But you still have to read the bottom line, to pass. So then you put your fake zero prescription lens glasses on and *suddenly* you can read the bottom line?

Every six months, forever?

And then you still have “must wear glasses” on your medical, so you had better actually wear your fake zero prescription lens glasses every time you fly, you don’t want an inspector to catch you flying bare-eyed - your medical says you may not. And don’t forget to carry a spare pair of fake glasses, too.

So if you’re going to wear glasses every time you fly, what would be the point of surgery?
I've flown with many pilots that wear glasses for only a portion of the flight, even though I'm sure their medical states that they need glasses.

Transport Canada is already well aware that many pilots are hiding psychiatric issues by self medicating and purchasing drugs illegally off the internet and are "suffering in silence." https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/public ... atry-ssris One could argue that the hiding of psychiatric issues or treatment is a greater concern than those hiding newly-corrected perfect vision.

For someone who wears contacts, having a second "fake" pair of uncorrected backup glasses is not hard. I can't see a TC inspector asking you to remove your contacts to prove you're wearing them. All I'm saying is that if someone wants to get laser correction and doesn't want to jump through TC's hoops, it would seem pretty easy to do so and never be caught.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I can't see a TC inspector asking you to remove your contacts to prove you're wearing them.
I had a police officer look close-up at my eyeball to confirm I had contact lenses in, and was complying with the requirement of my driving licence. I can't see that it's too much trouble for a TC inspector to do the same.

negroni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by negroni »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:30 pm For someone who wears contacts, having a second "fake" pair of uncorrected backup glasses is not hard. I can't see a TC inspector asking you to remove your contacts to prove you're wearing them. All I'm saying is that if someone wants to get laser correction and doesn't want to jump through TC's hoops, it would seem pretty easy to do so and never be caught.
CARs required you have a real back up pair of glasses in your flight bag. So not sure what you're talking about re; "fake" glasses. That would not meet the CARs requirements.

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:13 pm
TurkeyFarmYQX wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:39 pm I had Advanced LASIK in July 2021, it took 14 months to get my new sticker with the restriction removed.
Could you fly in the meantime?
My medical examiner told me to fly as soon as he filled out the form after thirty days. Is that the correct thing to do? I don't know, but I did it without issue and haven't had any issues with TC. These are weird times.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I had the wavefront intralase lasik surgery. Cost about $5k 10 years ago. It was nice for the 10 years it lastedm My eyesight unfortunately reverted and now I need glasses again. Everyone's bodies age differently.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I had PRK at Focus Eye Centre in Ottawa back in 1994. I finally had to start wearing glasses again after my latest medical back in May.

Back in the day you lost your medical for a year. 30 days is nothing!

If anyone’s considering trying to dupe TC, just remember if something ever happens in the course of your duties, you’ll be left hanging in the breeze…

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Cap'n P8 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:11 pm
If anyone’s considering trying to dupe TC, just remember if something ever happens in the course of your duties, you’ll be left hanging in the breeze…
Perhaps. I remember a few incident reports where the subsequent consequences for someone flying without a valid license (due to slow processing) were pretty mild.

I would expect the consequences for 'only' forgetting about the paperwork would not be severe.

There is a big difference between losing an eye or a leg and not reporting it, vs a surgery that you are generally allowed to fly with but you're missing the required piece of paper.

One is, in the end, an administrative mishap, the other physically limits your ability to fly an aircraft.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:47 pm One is, in the end, an administrative mishap, the other physically limits your ability to fly an aircraft.
At every medical you are asked if you have had any medical incidents or procedures since your last medical. If you say no at that point, and you have had your eyes done, that's not an administrative mishap, that's telling the medical examiner an outright falsehood.

Over 40 years of dealing with TC inspectors I've seen them let a lot of little things slide, but when they are lied to and realize it, the knives tend to come out.

Return to “General Comments”