Hiring after DECEMBER

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Navajo350
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hiring after DECEMBER

Post by Navajo350 »

x2 ^^ looking for how long we have been in the pool for, before a call. Any other information would also be appreciated. Looking forward to flying the Q and meeting new people again

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

Anyone have any idea how the cost of living negotiations are going?
Right now the interest rate increase driven my mortgage higher to the point where I am no longer eligible to hold the renewal. You’d think at minimum we would get an inflationary raise to reflect the mad cost of living. Raising per diems help but that is not income. The bank only cares about what your salary is. 41,000 or 76,000 doesn’t cut it for “professionals”.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Maskless1 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 pm Anyone have any idea how the cost of living negotiations are going?
Right now the interest rate increase driven my mortgage higher to the point where I am no longer eligible to hold the renewal. You’d think at minimum we would get an inflationary raise to reflect the mad cost of living. Raising per diems help but that is not income. The bank only cares about what your salary is. 41,000 or 76,000 doesn’t cut it for “professionals”.
First and foremost, "per diems", or Meal Cost Replacement (MCR) as we call it, is not compensation for your time and services performed. The banks have it right, but until we (collectively) refuse to accept any airline suggesting that it is, that problem will not be fixed.

With that, the last communication that was released (prior to the scheduled December 7 talk) stated that the company and the union were far apart on what they thought was appropriate. We need a significant increase in pay yesterday, an immediate change to scheduling practices today, and job security for tomorrow. The company has offered half-ass 'bonuses' to specific pilots to address the captain shortage a while back and I assume that the company has come to the table with another half-ass measure to address the immediate issues facing their operations without a thought about the issues we'll face in the short and medium term future.

The next (and last announced) round of talks are on December 16. Don't hold your breath.

TL;DR: Don't expect anything groundbreaking.

Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

We need $10,000 on each side just to afford to get by. We’ll see what next year brings but I’m not optimistic with the new flair FO numbers. In the US the race to the top is on, meanwhile here we’re still racing to the bottom. It’s a competition to see who can pay the least. WJ is definitely making money. Our flights are full and the ticket prices are high. Sure they’re probably losing money on a hand full of high competition routes but it doesn’t turn an overall loss. I suspect “no profit” until both CBAs are complete.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

The company has given up on Encore and is letting it die. That's the growing consensus. PTA is done, retention talks aren't going anywhere, and the YYZ base is just about ready to shut up shop.
The staffing issues at Encore could easily be resolved with money or even a merger, but the company isn't willing to water the Encore plant anymore.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Strategy to make the most leave, and put the rest on LOA while flow them, once the staffing because unsustainable from the company point of view, and revert back to point-to-point flying, hence eating the same plate as Flair.

Congrats to all that will flow very soon instead of in 5 years!

Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

kiaszceski wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:02 pm Strategy to make the most leave, and put the rest on LOA while flow them, once the staffing because unsustainable from the company point of view, and revert back to point-to-point flying, hence eating the same plate as Flair.

Congrats to all that will flow very soon instead of in 5 years!
I wouldn’t be surprised to see it slowly fade out. But I think it’s more likely we’ll see 15 tails stick around in yyc to connect into their “global hub”. Probably much less of an expense to the company to fully staff 15, with better compensation. If they really want to fill all of these new airplanes they’re getting, they have to keep the feeder network open at least out west. I’m all for flowing faster but they need to fix the pay and progression anyways. 15 years to captain is too long if the pay is this low.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Encore will fold into Pasco. It is the most plausible to me.
The people staying at the new Encore will flow as fast as Pasco/Encore can train Captain, with their seniority.
Pasco people will have a CPA with Westjet like AC is doing with Jazz. BOTL. This might take 2-3 years if they're able to fill the GSs and keep they new pilots. They might bump the pay once it folds into Pasco, to 65k/100k.
Pure speculation, but they are smart to screw us.

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

Maskless1 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:46 pm We need $10,000 on each side just to afford to get by. We’ll see what next year brings but I’m not optimistic with the new flair FO numbers. In the US the race to the top is on, meanwhile here we’re still racing to the bottom. It’s a competition to see who can pay the least. WJ is definitely making money. Our flights are full and the ticket prices are high. Sure they’re probably losing money on a hand full of high competition routes but it doesn’t turn an overall loss. I suspect “no profit” until both CBAs are complete.
$10,000???????????? :smt014 you must be kidding. We need at least $25000 each side for FO’s and Captains to even think about staying back. Aint nobody goin to stay for no $10,000. That ship has long sailed my friend. Why would someone stay for 10k when they can be making much much more at AT, AC, Cargojet, Porter, Flair and even Jazz DEC.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:40 pm
Maskless1 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:46 pm We need $10,000 on each side just to afford to get by. We’ll see what next year brings but I’m not optimistic with the new flair FO numbers. In the US the race to the top is on, meanwhile here we’re still racing to the bottom. It’s a competition to see who can pay the least. WJ is definitely making money. Our flights are full and the ticket prices are high. Sure they’re probably losing money on a hand full of high competition routes but it doesn’t turn an overall loss. I suspect “no profit” until both CBAs are complete.
$10,000???????????? :smt014 you must be kidding. We need at least $25000 each side for FO’s and Captains to even think about staying back. Aint nobody goin to stay for no $10,000. That ship has long sailed my friend. Why would someone stay for 10k when they can be making much much more at AT, AC, Cargojet, Porter, Flair and even Jazz DEC.
The old contract at Flair would give an FO at Encore a $24,000/year increase in pay right away. The new contract is closer to 30.

Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

I was suggesting 10k just to LIVE. Lol. Right now the pay is unlivable. 10k would only keep up with inflation. We need way more to stay here. There’s no reason we can’t match porters new pay scale and work to make improvements on that.

Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

I was suggesting 10k just to LIVE. Lol. Right now the pay is unlivable. 10k would only keep up with inflation. We need way more to stay here. There’s no reason we can’t match porters new pay scale and work to make improvements on that.

Yogi21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yogi21 »

Encore gluck gluck 5000

Highlights of the Deal are as followed:

Captains and First Officers will receive lump sum payments of $850 a month if they are Active for one day in the pay period.
Captains and First Officers both move up 2 Pay Steps on January 1, 2023 (i.e., if you are a Captain on a year 3 pay step, you will now be on a year 5 Captain pay step).
New Captains and First Officers will start at year 3 of their respective pay steps.
New Captain Pay Steps added for year 7 and 8 at $106.56 and $109.49 respectively.
Training Pilots will receive a lump sum payment of $500 a month.
Line Indoctrination instructors will receive $120 per training day, previously was $90.
ACP will receive $200 per training day, previously was $155.
Training Pilot expenses account, amount available is $600 per month (this does not roll over), claims must comply with the corporate expense policy.
ATPL course (i.e., Aerocourse) reimbursed for First Officers with receipts, they will also receive a $500 one-time payment when completed.

This MOA would be effective from January 1,2023 until December 31, 2023, or until the date the next Collective Agreement takes effect, whichever is later.

belgianmoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belgianmoon »

Thank you.
What is year 3 pay like.

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GetAGripen »

belgianmoon wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:26 pm Thank you.
What is year 3 pay like.
$51.48 for FO $89.36 for CA from my briefing package.

Thanks Yogi.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

So effective first year rates?

FO: $56,532
$46,332 ($51.48 * 900) + $10,200 ($850 * 12)

CA: $90,624
$80,424 (89.36 * 900) + $10,200 ($850 * 12)

roughly a 30% pay jump? What's the quality of life like at the moment?

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

GetAGripen wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:13 pm
What is year 3 pay like.

Thanks Yogi.
Could you post a detailed payscale here for calculating purposes

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GetAGripen »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:46 pm
GetAGripen wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:13 pm
What is year 3 pay like.

Thanks Yogi.
Could you post a detailed payscale here for calculating purposes

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Can someone explain this lump sump payment of 850 a month? How does that work exactly and for how long?

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:38 pm So effective first year rates?

FO: $56,532
$46,332 ($51.48 * 900) + $10,200 ($850 * 12)

CA: $90,624
$80,424 (89.36 * 900) + $10,200 ($850 * 12)

roughly a 30% pay jump? What's the quality of life like at the moment?
Also to note, 2023 rates are $1 - $1.50 higher for FOs and $1.50 to $2 more for Captains. So the base number will be another $1000 or so higher.

As I understand it, if you are active 1 day in a month, you get $850 added to a pay cheque. It lasts until the new contract is negotiated. Current contract expires Dec 31, 2023 but sometimes a new contract won’t be finalized until a few months later. If that’s the case, the $850 payment continues.

Return to “WestJet Encore”