Hiring after DECEMBER

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

belgianmoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hiring after DECEMBER

Post by belgianmoon »

Good Day all,

What is hiring going to look like after December 2nd .
Thanks .
no fights-only swearing allowed
---------- ADS -----------

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Hiring after DECEMBER

Post by GetAGripen »

Was told they were running groundschools every month, no sign of change.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

belgianmoon wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:38 pm Good Day all,

What is hiring going to look like after December 2nd .
Thanks .
no fights-only swearing allowed
There is a class starting December 2. Following that I assume that classes will continue.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Significantly more leaving than they could even hope to hire. Expect hiring to continue indefinitely.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

YC87DRVR wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:39 am Significantly more leaving than they could even hope to hire. Expect hiring to continue indefinitely.
A healthy company is usually hiring as well.

The "more leaving [than joining]" comment is what tells the story.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

averageatbest wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:05 am
YC87DRVR wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:39 am Significantly more leaving than they could even hope to hire. Expect hiring to continue indefinitely.
A healthy company is usually hiring as well.

The "more leaving [than joining]" comment is what tells the story.
Experience leaving for well anyone with a pilot’s license, also not a good sign.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Will be interesting to see the experience level of new hires from December. For years there's been a PTA/flow carrot to dangle for new hires, even if that did mean 6 or so years to get the chance. From December onwards you'll no longer get a position on the "WestJet group of companies" pilot list. Considering one could just apply directly to WestJet with 1500 hours, I can't see anyone with anything close to this experience level applying to Encore still. Perhaps they'll finally get chance to put their 250 hour program into place that has been anticipated for so long.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

It seems that depending on the interview results, candidates are proposed with either a spot at Westjet or a spot at Encore.
The recruitment team is the one deciding.

Curious to see how this will work out in 2023.

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GetAGripen »

Interesting. What about 1500+ without the 500 multi-crew Swoop and Mainline ask for?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

GetAGripen wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:00 pm Interesting. What about 1500+ without the 500 multi-crew Swoop and Mainline ask for?
Encore.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

GetAGripen wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:00 pm Interesting. What about 1500+ without the 500 multi-crew Swoop and Mainline ask for?
I’d hold out for mainline and not get marooned at Encore if you have that amount of time. Mainline is currently averaging 1 pilot a day quitting for AC. Yet next year they planned to hire 400. So that’ll be more like 800 new pilots they’ll need if they stick to their plan. I won’t be surprised at all to see them to go below 1500 hours soon. It’s either drop the experience requirements yet again, or start paying more to attract pilots. Hmm I wonder which they’ll go for.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

Stay out of Encore if you can. Without the PTA there is literally no reason to go there.

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

skyhighh wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:35 pm Stay out of Encore if you can. Without the PTA there is literally no reason to go there.

Unless, of course, you’re looking to time build to get your ATPL hours. That would be about the only reason right now. :rolleyes:

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

FlyAlberta wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 pm
skyhighh wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:35 pm Stay out of Encore if you can. Without the PTA there is literally no reason to go there.

Unless, of course, you’re looking to time build to get your ATPL hours. That would be about the only reason right now. :rolleyes:
If you want to get 705 time so that you can apply to Air Canada, go to Encore.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:18 pm
I’d hold out for mainline and not get marooned at Encore if you have that amount of time. Mainline is currently averaging 1 pilot a day quitting for AC. Yet next year they planned to hire 400. So that’ll be more like 800 new pilots they’ll need if they stick to their plan. I won’t be surprised at all to see them to go below 1500 hours soon. It’s either drop the experience requirements yet again, or start paying more to attract pilots. Hmm I wonder which they’ll go for.
Any proof of them losing 1 pilot a day for AC? I’ve heard lots leaving from encore and swoop but only a few leaving WJ

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

fish4life wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:25 am
Any proof of them losing 1 pilot a day for AC? I’ve heard lots leaving from encore and swoop but only a few leaving WJ
"Critically low pilot resources" email during a shoulder season.
What's gonna happen during Christmas?

Wait until Flair gets their new payscale, it will help 4-5 years FO to switch to Flair for a DEC position.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

fish4life wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:25 am
Fish4life I stand corrected. I re-read the ALPA email and the 1 pilot a day leaving average is indeed for the WestJet "group". So that includes Swoop and Encore.

GetAGripen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GetAGripen »

I've been pooled.

Kinda surprised there is a pool, tbh.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

GetAGripen wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:55 pm I've been pooled.

Kinda surprised there is a pool, tbh.
From the outside I can see how it would be surprising to be told that you meet the criteria and that they're interested, but also that they don't want you quite yet, especially after hearing how desperate they are for new pilots.

The reason is quite simple; lack of training ability. The trainers are mostly senior pilots and are flowing to mainline and switching to AC. There is a constant requirement to keep current pilots trained with recurrents and PPCs, as well as training new trainers to take over. It's not unlike the story I am hearing from Jazz.

Enjoy whatever flying you're doing now until your number is called. The Q is a lot of fun to fly when you get comfortable enough to hand fly it, but it's a lot of work and anxiety before then.

belgianmoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by belgianmoon »

Good Evening All,

Hope we are in for positive ride here on.

Please can Anyone confirm gs date for January? Calls out yet?

Thanks.

Return to “WestJet Encore”