Page 1 of 2
Porter interview
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:17 pm
by maple leaf
Message when I got home from work today to call Porter to set up an interview. Too late to call back today so I will have to call them on Monday. Anyone had an interview yet? Technical/psychological/written test? Any idea at all? Sim eval? If you were given an interview was it short notice or a few weeks down the road? Thanks.
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:46 pm
by like2fly
All the best with the interview. Care to share about your experience...flight time, turbine etc.
Cheers
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:23 am
by maple leaf
7000 hrs, approx 4500 pic over 12500lbs, university degree. I don't know if the interview is for Capt. or F/O. I have no dash time and no time over 30 000lbs.
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:17 am
by Kosiw
Am wondering if Porter is interested in "locals" first??
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:07 pm
by blue-sky
im from west coast and I just got called
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:00 pm
by loopy
congrats, your the first I've heard of got the call. Good luck.
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 pm
by Dockjock
I'm from YYC and got the call too. Travel to/from the interview is at own expense though so I had to decline. Too early for me to take a chance on an airline with basically zero info out there yet. Coulda got the info in the interview obviously, but at this point I'm not willing to pay $600 for it! Sounds interesting I will probably keep in touch and perhaps try again once they've started up.
This is all I got:
-Interviews week of April 17-21
-Groundschool/training in May (approx 1 month)
-Startup date "Fall"
Left me to wonder what the pilots will be doing from June-September??
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:58 pm
by LH498
How may hours do you have and what kind?
Thanks
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:49 pm
by Dockjock
4200
Porter Who?
Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:24 pm
by 1000tolevel
Hey, never heard of them.
Who and what and where? I saw some 10 Q-400 orders? Is it for real? How do you apply?
Thanks
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:40 pm
by Bliss
This is only the start, I think from doing some math that hiring will go on for a while, unless of course they already have a crew of pilots from the factory to help them get off their feet.
Think about it: Min of 3 or 4 crews per plane, Capt and F/O's. Multiply this by their 10 confirmed orders means at least 60 to 80 pilots, that's being conservative, say 70 as the average.
5 days of interviews means 14 people need to be guarantee hires PER DAY of interviewing. That does not include the people who interview who don't get the offer. Given the average work day with lunch breaks and all you would have to have shuffle people in and out of the interviews in less than 30 minutes without time to fall behind or get behind schedule.
Too many people in too little time. No doubt they are looking at their best canidates first perhaps for Capt positions. Once they are hired and trained up they will probably be looking for the F/O's and have the Capt's help out with training and NFP in the Sim. Remember most everyone will be new, the more training the better?
I think we'll see a period of interviewing of at least a month or maybe a delayed start for those hoping for F/O spots untill most of their Capt's are trained or ready to go.
Just my 2 cents, someone feel free to check my math ....
p.s. me is slightly sauced.
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:52 am
by CLguy
Bliss, they will not be starting operations with 10 aircraft. They will probably start with a few aircraft and take delivery of the rest over the course of a couple of years, so there will be no need to hire 70 pilots in one week.
I have also heard they have some factory pilots who are jumping shit to join them, so that should take some of the initial hiring pressure off them.
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:09 am
by Bliss
Thanks CLguy, I figured it would take a while for delivery of the a/c.
Everything seems clearer now, the day after...

interview
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:34 am
by Darkhorse
you have to pay your own way to go to the interview. No over the phone interviews.
They will not discuss anything over the phone. Including starting salary for capt. or FO.
So if anyone out there has more info on this after their interview...please share
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:32 am
by pika
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:40 pm
by Kosiw
No info over the phone.....don't like the sound of that...

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 am
by wallypilot
Yeah, I agree. Why can't companies just be straight up with this kind of thing? I guess in the current hiring climate, they don't have to be. However, it's also possible that they also just don't have exact numbers pinned down yet for salaries. afterall, operations haven't ramped up yet.
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:28 am
by windshear
My guess for Captain's salary apprx. $80K and F/O's $40k-$45k.
Any thoughts?
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:06 am
by Doc
If I lived anywhere near 416/905 I'd be jumping all over Porter. Nice new airplanes. Pay probably not half bad. Bob Deluce at the helm, so you know the homework has been done. I'll bet they get a few TC guys going over, who are getting tired of pushing paper, and not throttles? A lot of the "young Turks" will be holding out for jet jobs at Jazz and WestJet, but for some of us "grey hairs", Porter would be a pretty pleasant place to be. Worry not, they'll have no problems filling the seats. Kind of makes me want to throw a leg over the old Hog, and head down to the island for a look-see!
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:28 am
by windshear
I agree with you Doc, it sounds like a great gig. I'm flying a jet now and I applied to Porter. Have an interview in a couple of weeks. We shall see.
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:48 pm
by stupido
Windshear when do you have an intrview ???
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:15 pm
by Dockjock
No doubt, sounds like a good opportunity. But anyone with 5000 hrs has been around long enough to see more than a handful of startups in Canada with big plans and big promises go Tango-Uniform quickly. Porter itself has already had one false start; forgive me if I wait until they've called "gear up" on at least one revenue flight before I drop MY hard earned dollars on them.
For every Westjet, Cargojet, and Harmony there's a corresponding Canjet 1, Greyhound Air, Roots Air, and Jetsgo. I'd definitely fall into the "young turk" category as far as Doc is concerned, and I don't have spare bucks just hangin around waiting to get spent on airfare or gas money for my (non-existant) Harley to have a looksee at the next newest startup that may or may not want me to pay for my own training, pay a Captain $50K to fly a 70-seat airplane, or work me 25 days a month.
Zero info available, none forthcoming on the phone, and a charged political climate surrounding their startup. Deluce has already made $25mil for NOT starting this airline- that he will get richer is a certainty one way or another. I just think it's a little bit, how to politely put this, "old school" to on one hand say they want 3000-5000 hrs as a minimum, while at the same time conveniently forgetting that people with that experience weren't exactly born yesterday.
DOC
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:20 pm
by Darkhorse
I have also heard negative issues regarding the deluce backed airline interests. Is there any truth to them having previous airline companies which have gone south and left people hanging?
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:35 pm
by twinpratts
You mean like Air Ontario?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:31 am
by CLguy
Air Ontario is only one of a very long list of Deluce backed Air Carriers.