Preferential bidding system vs bid lines

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Preferential bidding system vs bid lines

Post by RegionalPilot »

I’m curious to know everyone’s opinion about bidding system and what is the best way to do things. I work at Jazz that uses PBS, and have a few friends in the US that uses bid lines.

The comments I’m getting from my friends are they like the PBS because it’s easier to get specific days off and still get the schedule you are "entitled" as per your seniority. The downside of that system is a very messy schedule without consistency, and how difficult it is to bid not knowing what will be available when the builder puts everything together.

Is there a system that proved himself better over the long term?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Preferential bidding system vs bid lines

Post by Bede »

From my experience at both WJ & Jazz, WJ's socialized bidding is better than Jazz's, but Jazz's is better than anywhere else IMO. Having a block builder who's a fellow pilot (I think this is still the case?) can provide a holistic view of the schedule and make sure it's decent as opposed to just assigning whatever you bid.
Bid lines would be my last choice.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Preferential bidding system vs bid lines

Post by rudder »

RegionalPilot wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:36 pm I’m curious to know everyone’s opinion about bidding system and what is the best way to do things. I work at Jazz that uses PBS, and have a few friends in the US that uses bid lines.

The comments I’m getting from my friends are they like the PBS because it’s easier to get specific days off and still get the schedule you are "entitled" as per your seniority. The downside of that system is a very messy schedule without consistency, and how difficult it is to bid not knowing what will be available when the builder puts everything together.

Is there a system that proved himself better over the long term?
Bid lines? That is from the Middle Ages……. I can only think of one US carrier that still has that system (not a coincidence that it is the most archaic large carrier) but has signed a PBS MOA so they will finally be migrating.

In an era of commuting, PBS represents the best chance for a liveable schedule. However, if what you are looking for is a scheduling system that will provide an exception to seniority in order to improve your schedule, you won’t find it. There are however derivatives of PBS as BEDE suggested. It is all about the rules and the algorithms. Schedule quality is ultimately a function of pairing quality. Bad pairings = bad schedules.

Having said that, no computer algorithm will derive a better result than a manual block builder. That is what Jazz still has (due smaller rosters).

Return to “General Comments”