New pay scales

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

New pay scales

Post by Malfunction »

Any information on the new pay scales announced?
---------- ADS -----------

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New pay scales

Post by Daniel Cooper »

WJA's pay rates plus 2.5% according to Pilot Career Center.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I haven’t seen anything official but this was posted in one of the flair threads.
1A242127-1DD2-4B6D-B598-CF15A27AC198.jpeg
1A242127-1DD2-4B6D-B598-CF15A27AC198.jpeg (232.85 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
23F0F01F-CA15-4B98-8B2E-17A85825D53C.jpeg
23F0F01F-CA15-4B98-8B2E-17A85825D53C.jpeg (428.66 KiB) Viewed 7268 times

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

$99k for Swoop captain. Honey warm up the van.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:19 pm $99k for Swoop captain. Honey warm up the van.
Jesus Christ!!! How can a human being fly a 737 for $99 000 and look at themselves in the mirror?

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Absolute dogshit

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

What's the upgrade time look like?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Malfunction wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:30 pm What's the upgrade time look like?
> 3 years. Probably > 10-15 years if WJ merge the list by DOH

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Anyway you slice it, that entire pay summary defines the embarrassing state of affairs of the airline piloting profession in Canada.

We only have ourselves to blame.

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

These are only garunteed minimums, I'm sure you can make more than that if you pick up some overtime to make a few more bucks

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:54 pm These are only garunteed minimums, I'm sure you can make more than that if you pick up some overtime to make a few more bucks
You could say the same thing about Jazz ... Just because you can work 120 hours per month and keep up with inflation doesn’t mean it’s a historical pay scale.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:54 pm These are only garunteed minimums, I'm sure you can make more than that if you pick up some overtime to make a few more bucks
I hope this was intended as sarcasm. Or else it’s the most depressing comment I’ve read in a long time.

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:01 pm
I hope this was intended as sarcasm. Or else it’s the most depressing comment I’ve read in a long time.
Take that in both ways I guess :prayer:. We need help though, I first want to see that new flair pay scale being turned down by majority of pilots working there. We must condemn ourselves for accepting lower standards, if the majority does not reject the offer.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Is Westjet buying Sunwing still or whatever happened with that? I remember Transat pilots getting a big raise when they thought there was going to be a pilot merger with Air Canada.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It's interesting to see for which pilot group they can still enlarge the hiring pool (lower experience requirements) and for which they can't...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Aspiredtofly wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:24 am
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:01 pm
Take that in both ways I guess :prayer:. We need help though, I first want to see that new flair pay scale being turned down by majority of pilots working there. We must condemn ourselves for accepting lower standards, if the majority does not reject the offer.
I'll take it one way. The alternative shouldn't be oh well....there will lots of opportunities to work your bag off and make OT :vom:. This comment is exactly the reason our industry is in the state it is in Canada. It's this mentality that needs to be abolished.

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

Pay is big but what about other details in the contract? Reserve rules, min contracted rest, per diems etc?

Hypothetically (and I'd bet this isn't the case) if there was zero per diems then you'd be losing money by comparison to others in the industry. Need to see the big picture.

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

Instructor_Mike wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:21 pm Pay is big but what about other details in the contract? Reserve rules, min contracted rest, per diems etc?

Hypothetically (and I'd bet this isn't the case) if there was zero per diems then you'd be losing money by comparison to others in the industry. Need to see the big picture.
This is a mid-contract LOU that is being voted on to raise the wages. The details you mention remain the same as per the current contract, which you can get here:

http://safeflights.ca/uploads/Labour_Ag ... _FINAL.pdf

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

daedalusx wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:35 pm
You could say the same thing about Jazz ... Just because you can work 120 hours per month and keep up with inflation doesn’t mean it’s a historical pay scale.
There’s guys at Jazz that make well over 200k a year but they’re usually the ones that look like a walking dead extra, are divorced or hate their wives and have no life outside of work and enjoy working 24 days a month.

Let’s Go Brandon
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 pm
daedalusx wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:35 pm
There’s guys at Jazz that make well over 200k a year but they’re usually the ones that look like a walking dead extra, are divorced or hate their wives and have no life outside of work and enjoy working 24 days a month.
I know. There was a jazzie bscaler first year capt that was bragging that he broke 100K on his first year left seat. He would pick up straight time on flica and work out of base and even pay for his hotels. He was working 24-25 days a month and his performance was shit because he was always tired.
For reasons totally unrelated, he was single.
Wonder if it’s the same dude although I doubt that a bscaler would ever be able to break 200k with the new duty regs.

Return to “Sunwing”