Overtime

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Northof60th
Rank 0
Rank 0

Overtime

Post by Northof60th »

Just wondering what the overtime availability is like right now at AC and what it's forecasted to be like in the future. I'm hoping to get on in the near future but might need a little overtime to make ends meet. What fleets offer the most overtime? Perdiums? Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Overtime

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

*Facepalm* :|

Between taking out HELOC's to pay mortgage (another thread) until one hits formula or gunning for overtime out of the gate to make ends meet, it still makes me shake my head why people are clamoring over each other for the opportunity to take a number, and get in line behind 4500 other pilots (or whatever that number is now). Management is just loving the motivation to work for peanuts.

Rouge used to be the go to avenue to circumvent mainline's archaic reserve rules and get into a liveable wage category - at least that's what everybody was pitching back in the day. I think management closed that loophole after Transat fell through and they brought back Rouge, so that everyone could truly enjoy their first 4 years in similar miserable financial situations.

If you've got jet time going in, bid WB to maximize your monthly credits and if you've got something to prove, grab the first upgrade on anything that comes up.

Good luck.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

Lately, the top ranks of Reserve are being populated by more senior pilots. With the implementation of ‘best fit’ and the subsequent transformation of the days off in to ‘G’ days off (Guaranteed days off), there is an easier way of attracting a 100% premium to one’s block WITHOUT doing overtime. All flying in or on a G day attracts the premium. No more VO and working extra hours, just pushing days off will garner a premium.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

I wouldn’t count on overtime. Yes it is often available but I have experienced multiple times now when blocks went into the 60-65 hour range and overtime couldn’t be begged, borrowed, or stolen. In all cases it was unexpected and the slump went on for a long time. I’m not talking just no overtime. I’m talking blocks dropping 20%

2001 911
2002 SARS
2003 CCAA
2008 Great Recession
2012 The start of Rouge. Mainline blocks dropped as fly was transferred
2019 Covid.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

On the other side of the spectrum, are there reduced time blocks available? And is there an option to drop pairings from your schedule for others to pick them up for overtime? I have a side business and would rather be spending time on that and flying with a reduced block if that's an option at AC

Freshredmeat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Freshredmeat »

As a noob myself, you really need to understand what you're getting yourself into when you come here

Reserve is an industry worst. Best Fit is a giant dumpster fire that is just face palm for so many levels.

Best is you don't even get DBM -2 like the formula pay pilots. Just because this place likes to just crap all over new hires

If you do elect to fly on a G day, you get a premium for that day. Just that day. So if you're on a layover that day, you get zero. Not even a sticker next to your name on the "Who's a good AC pilot" board up in flight ops

If you get a block the next month, then that moveable Guaranteed day off also vanishes. Just an all around awesome contract.

I see Encore & Sunwing getting raises for no concessions

Here we almost gave away permanent concessions for still inferior pay increases.

So yeah, enjoy flying for a Global Airline that treats its pilots like we are working for Putin

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:10 pm *Facepalm* :|

Between taking out HELOC's to pay mortgage (another thread) until one hits formula or gunning for overtime out of the gate to make ends meet, it still makes me shake my head why people are clamoring over each other for the opportunity to take a number, and get in line behind 4500 other pilots (or whatever that number is now). Management is just loving the motivation to work for peanuts.

Rouge used to be the go to avenue to circumvent mainline's archaic reserve rules and get into a liveable wage category - at least that's what everybody was pitching back in the day. I think management closed that loophole after Transat fell through and they brought back Rouge, so that everyone could truly enjoy their first 4 years in similar miserable financial situations.

If you've got jet time going in, bid WB to maximize your monthly credits and if you've got something to prove, grab the first upgrade on anything that comes up.

Good luck.

You’re such a wiener. You joined and went through it too didn’t you? — were things any better? Didn’t you line up like a cow to get slaughtered too? Let people make their decision and thank your captains for selling out the industry. AC has been the major reason why Canadian aviation sucks so much but for many it’s always going to be a goal to fly for the national carrier. In case you haven’t noticed we don’t have much options here.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Freshredmeat wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:07 pm As a noob myself, you really need to understand what you're getting yourself into when you come here

Reserve is an industry worst. Best Fit is a giant dumpster fire that is just face palm for so many levels.

Best is you don't even get DBM -2 like the formula pay pilots. Just because this place likes to just crap all over new hires

If you do elect to fly on a G day, you get a premium for that day. Just that day. So if you're on a layover that day, you get zero. Not even a sticker next to your name on the "Who's a good AC pilot" board up in flight ops

If you get a block the next month, then that moveable Guaranteed day off also vanishes. Just an all around awesome contract.

Here we almost gave away permanent concessions for still inferior pay increases.

So yeah, enjoy flying for a Global Airline that treats its pilots like we are working for Putin
So go join sunwing.

No Forced conscription here. No Putin here. Plenty of Eastern Bloc mental conditioning going on at Westjet.

If you don’t like it, leave. Don’t be a lil bitch.

You joined 5 months ago. Get a grip.

Overtime is available and should not be shamed as if one were contemplating an abortion. Their choice. Not yours.

Their choice. Not yours.

Want to stay? Your choice. Not mine.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Vanguard wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:45 pm

Good luck.

You’re such a wiener. You joined and went through it too didn’t you? — were things any better? Didn’t you line up like a cow to get slaughtered too? Let people make their decision and thank your captains for selling out the industry. AC has been the major reason why Canadian aviation sucks so much but for many it’s always going to be a goal to fly for the national carrier. In case you haven’t noticed we don’t have much options here.
X2. Like it’s just too difficult to see why someone would still come to AC anyway :roll:

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Good luck.

You mispelled winner.

I said no years back, one of the very few industry 'martyrs' on this site, but I watched many a colleague make the same choice, that was yes to AC, and them complain endlessly over beers about their decision.

I listened to the internal routing, as there were always loopholes, to help them navigate the trials and tribulations of AC as a new hire...

And yeah for someone not blinded by 'flying the flag', I'm still scratching my head as to why someone would agree to support AC at their current hiring package. That may change, but right now, I'm embarrassed for everyone who says yes.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

With all the negative comments about AC I still don't see many leaving for other operators once they join. It's still the best long term airline pilot job in Canada.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Simply because seniority rules at AC Ash, its the FOMO. 'If I don't do it now, and piss on the industry, I'll miss 1000 spots, and be on reserve until I'm 64'.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
FelixGustof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FelixGustof »

alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:12 pm
Freshredmeat wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:07 pm As a noob myself, you really need to understand what you're getting yourself into when you come here

So go join sunwing.

No Forced conscription here. No Putin here. Plenty of Eastern Bloc mental conditioning going on at Westjet.

Overtime is available and should not be shamed as if one were contemplating an abortion. Their choice. Not yours.

Their choice. Not yours.

When I read above it clarifies why I won't be entering aviation.

The "just be happy you're not living in Somalia" ethos that really advances a career

Wow, some real dummies in this profession. Yikes

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

More of a Canadian attitude than an aviation attitude

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JHR wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:43 am More of a Canadian attitude than an aviation attitude
It was about as toxic and gross in the U.S about 7-10 years ago as it is here today. It just corrected itself overtime thanks to the 1500 hour rule, mostly.

Alkasultzer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alkasultzer »

I vote 'Yes' to everything

Those idiots at Sunwing & Encore getting pay raises for zero concessions while I was happy to vote Yes to permanent concessions

#winning

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Widebody generally has the highest paying per diems, it also seems like it’s best option for VO. As the overseas rest rules are more complicated it’s become more difficult to fill in the gaps with “legal” pilots. So the VO goes down the seniority list a little more.

I wouldn’t plan on flat pay going away anytime soon and I also wouldn’t plan on being able to do VO to make ends meet over the next 4 years.

Pilots constantly listing for VO do tend to get a bit of a negative reputation, as you can tell from some of the responses.

There are currently dozens and dozens of loopholes that AC extracts throughout the collective agreement to not pay the premium on VO. Most of these are well established and there isn’t much the union can do about it. Who it really hurts is the new hires that come in with one expectation of pay and end up with another, such as working for free.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:58 am

Good luck.

You mispelled winner.

I said no years back, one of the very few industry 'martyrs' on this site, but I watched many a colleague make the same choice, that was yes to AC, and them complain endlessly over beers about their decision.

I listened to the internal routing, as there were always loopholes, to help them navigate the trials and tribulations of AC as a new hire...

And yeah for someone not blinded by 'flying the flag', I'm still scratching my head as to why someone would agree to support AC at their current hiring package. That may change, but right now, I'm embarrassed for everyone who says yes.

You're definitely an idiot and typical troll hypocrite. I did it but if anyone else does it - its embarrassing. Go get a life outside work you wiener. If it was okay for you to accept the shit package - you made your decision. Who are you to go shit on other peoples decisions? Anyone not AC is also embarrassed as you all stand there high and mighty acting like you're the best when you also are not. THANK YOU for holding all of Canada back into accepting shit WAWCON. If anything WestJet pilots will actually steer this industry out of this with their negotiations.

If people want to line up at AC nothing you say is going to change it.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:07 am
JHR wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:43 am More of a Canadian attitude than an aviation attitude
It was about as toxic and gross in the U.S about 7-10 years ago as it is here today. It just corrected itself overtime thanks to the 1500 hour rule, mostly.
Yup. People forget than in the late 2000s in the USA, you had Embraer FOs getting paid 17K-22K a year and capt getting paid 40K in the hope to get a flow through a major to secure a seniority number ASAP. Sounds familiar ? Shit there was even semi-mainstream news talking about the crash pad lifestyle and the cost of flying cheap.
Then Colgan buffalo happened, then the 1500 ATPL rule and then somehow, for no reasons at all, salaries and conditions started to drastically increase.
Here we have cadets “flying” 737-800s at 250 hrs and we’re recruiting South African Capts with fast track immigration programs and we wonder why we still have terrible wages across all airlines, as if employment wasn’t the most basic offer/demand curve.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

alkaseltzer wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:12 pm

So go join sunwing.

Their choice. Not yours.

Cringe worthy.

You and I (our generation) are responsible for the sorry state of our contract. And you think you have the moral high ground to tell someone junior that if they don’t like it, there’s the door?

All you are really doing is flipping the bird at the junior demographic and absolving yourself of any responsibility for the sorry state new hires now have to live through. It is much worse now than when we were hired.

You just made yourself the poster child of everything the bottom half of the list loathes.

Good work.

Return to “Air Canada”