GFA - Trough (Purple lines) vs trowal line

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ols500
Rank 1
Rank 1

GFA - Trough (Purple lines) vs trowal line

Post by ols500 »

Hi could someone explain the difference between them and why a trough forms from a weakening trowal.

I understand a trowal as a trough of warm air aloft (I used to know the term occluded front, cold front catching up to a warm front in a system) and trough as a elongated area of low pressure. I've seen multiple times a trowal line turning into a trough line on the GFA. See linked files. Could someone explain the meteorology behind this?

thanks ollie
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
trough.png
trough.png (358.38 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Trowal.png
Trowal.png (359.02 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: GFA - Trough (Purple lines) vs trowal line

Post by photofly »

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ols500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ols500 »

thx

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ols500 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:31 pm Hi could someone explain the difference between them and why a trough forms from a weakening trowal.
… I've seen multiple times a trowal line turning into a trough line on the GFA.
I will have a guess: it’s marked as an occluded front (trowal) for as long as it’s associated with an adjoining warm/cold frontal system. Once the warm and cold fronts have dissipated, what’s left is noted as a trough rather than a front.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”