New Hiring Minimums

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

clrdleftbase
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Hiring Minimums

Post by clrdleftbase »

Looks like Jazz just dropped the minimum hiring requirement. The new posting says 500 hours TT with no mention of multi time required. Interesting times ahead :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New Hiring Minimums

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

clrdleftbase wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:46 pm Looks like Jazz just dropped the minimum hiring requirement. The new posting says 500 hours TT with no mention of multi time required. Interesting times ahead :rolleyes:
When I had 500 TT i was teaching people how to land on the numbers from the downwind leg. The Times are a-changing , I believe bob Dylan once said…

I believe mentorship and line training can help “the rookies”

But yea it’s drinking from a fire hose for sure.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

clrdleftbase wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:46 pm Looks like Jazz just dropped the minimum hiring requirement. The new posting says 500 hours TT with no mention of multi time required. Interesting times ahead :rolleyes:
Jazz isn't an FTU and doesn't have any light twins in it's fleet. So while the posting may not make a express reference anyone think it's not required will be in for a rude awaking. I just someone can put a resume "on file" but it will not result in a phone call from an HR rep anytime soon.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:03 pm
Jazz isn't an FTU and doesn't have any light twins in it's fleet. So while the posting may not make a express reference anyone think it's not required will be in for a rude awaking. I just someone can put a resume "on file" but it will not result in a phone call from an HR rep anytime soon.
Why would they drop the hiring minimums if they are not having trouble getting applicants ?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Latest ad for Encore is asking for only 250 hours. So at least Jazz hasn’t gone that low. Yet.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

Just like Encore hasn’t hired any 250 hour fresh CPLs, hiring minimum on the career page doesn’t really translate to reality.
If anything they’ll just start hiring college grads again, don’t they have like 3 years of grads to go through anyway?

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:26 am Latest ad for Encore is asking for only 250 hours. So at least Jazz hasn’t gone that low. Yet.
Lowering minimums instead of increasing pay and incentive to join always works for the best. /s

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

Currently (that will change, more pilots leaving than coming), most new pilots have at least 1000 hours.
But it will be interesting to see what happens later in the year with this.
This doesn't look good for pay.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

I disagree. Lowering minimums is a sign of absolute desperation. And could be used in an attempt to show how many resumes they have on file to claim everything is fine.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

You can't train experience. I am already hearing about Captains that are very concerned about having to fly both sides of the airplane.

Sadly I think it is when, not if, there is going to be a Q400 shaped smoking hole by one of the operators of this airplane.....

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

The thing is the rest of the world pretty much can. We just don’t train for it.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:24 am I disagree. Lowering minimums is a sign of absolute desperation. And could be used in an attempt to show how many resumes they have on file to claim everything is fine.
Jazz has been hiring pilots with 250 hours for many, many years. This is not a new development.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:48 pm
truedude wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:24 am I disagree. Lowering minimums is a sign of absolute desperation. And could be used in an attempt to show how many resumes they have on file to claim everything is fine.
Jazz has been hiring pilots with 250 hours for many, many years. This is not a new development.
From certain flight schools. Their posted minimums have always been higher.

NTPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NTPilot »

Instead of raising the pay (37k-38k/year), they decide to lower the minimum.
Meanwhile union says they don’t have leverage to raise the wages.
On the other hand encore just raised the salary for Q400

Basically with FO salary in regionals we cannot even rent a basement in toronto !

I am not sure how these companies think we should support our families, eat or sleep !!!

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

The union has been clear that we do have leverage. The face that the flying is shrinking by 14% compared to last year is evidence of that. But they are desperate to try every solution aside from pay more. And management at AC and Jazz may just be stubborn enough to let the entire thing collapse.

NTPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NTPilot »

truedude wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:59 am The union has been clear that we do have leverage. The face that the flying is shrinking by 14% compared to last year is evidence of that. But they are desperate to try every solution aside from pay more. And management at AC and Jazz may just be stubborn enough to let the entire thing collapse.
Totally agreed
It just shows how Monopolized the Canadian aviation is unfortunately
I’ve heard couple of Jazz Capt and FO went in the new WJ and flair ground schools
It’s sad to see a pilot with 4 5 years of service in jazz must go to another company to have better pay.

Like how hard is to understand you can live with 40k in toronto unless you are still living with your parents

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

NTPilot wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:17 am
truedude wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:59 am The union has been clear that we do have leverage. The face that the flying is shrinking by 14% compared to last year is evidence of that. But they are desperate to try every solution aside from pay more. And management at AC and Jazz may just be stubborn enough to let the entire thing collapse.
Totally agreed
I’ve heard couple of Jazz Capt and FO went in the new WJ and flair ground schools
It’s sad to see a pilot with 4 5 years of service in jazz must go to another company to have better pay.

Like how hard is to understand you can live with 40k in toronto unless you are still living with your parents
4-5 years capt and FO should have already gone to mainline if they wanted to.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:53 am
Totally agreed

And most do... which is why we are so short captains. That, or they are going to other places. Not everyone wants to be at AC. To keep Jazz functional, they need a blend of turn at the bottom, and some interested in staying for the long haul. But they need to pay to attract new people and keep people long term.

Captains should start at $100 per credit hour, and top out at $200 in 16 years.

And maybe have anyone with an ATPL start at year 4 or 5 on the F/O scale, along with more money for training pilots and LTC pilots, particularly if they will be teaching people to fly.

And there needs to be a clear path forward to AC. Perhaps reserved seniority numbers, along with pay guarantees up to a certain year.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

truedude wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:13 am
kiaszceski wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:53 am

Totally agreed

And most do... which is why we are so short captains. That, or they are going to other places. Not everyone wants to be at AC. To keep Jazz functional, they need a blend of turn at the bottom, and some interested in staying for the long haul. But they need to pay to attract new people and keep people long term.

Captains should start at $100 per credit hour, and top out at $200 in 16 years.

And maybe have anyone with an ATPL start at year 4 or 5 on the F/O scale, along with more money for training pilots and LTC pilots, particularly if they will be teaching people to fly.

And there needs to be a clear path forward to AC. Perhaps reserved seniority numbers, along with pay guarantees up to a certain year.
Never gonna happen.
Do you think AC will pay Jazz FO 60k while their own FOs start below those wages?

Jazz is going to have a pay raise once AC removes the flat pay.
But realistically they have to get down to 80 tails so they still need people to leave for AC, then the recession will hit and we're all gonna get screwed.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Jazz FOs should start at 60/70k, captains starting at 100K, and AC new hire FOs at 100K. I think that would be fair given what the job entails and the experience required. I doubt it will happen though.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”