Pilots and their Acronyms..

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dennis_h21@yahoo.ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pilots and their Acronyms..

Post by dennis_h21@yahoo.ca »

I'm not sure if it's just me (probably is) but I cannot believe how many times I had to click away from reading a forum just for the sole purpose of searching up what a certain acronym stands for.. Something about pilots and their acronyms :rolleyes:
Let me be the first and drop a few acronyms I've stumbled upon, and a few that to this day I still have no clue what they mean..

BTW, I don't necessarily mean technical acronyms relating to flying and such, more so acronyms relating to everything else other than flying.

WAWCOM - Wages and Working Conditions (who comes up w this stuff man hahahah)
BOTL - Bottom of the list (Very hard to type it all out I guess..)
MEC - ?? (This one's a weird one, saw it mentioned in a forum where some people were discussing union contracts and all..)
TA - ?? (See above explanation, saw this in a recent flair forum..)
MOA - ?? (I'm guessing something to do with flying time?)
EXPAT - ?? (Type of pilots..? no idea)

Thanks for anyone contributing to this.
Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Pilots and their Acronyms..

Post by co-joe »

dennis_h21@yahoo.ca wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:24 pm I'm not sure if it's just me (probably is) but I cannot believe how many times I had to click away from reading a forum just for the sole purpose of searching up what a certain acronym stands for.. Something about pilots and their acronyms :rolleyes:
Let me be the first and drop a few acronyms I've stumbled upon, and a few that to this day I still have no clue what they mean..

BTW, I don't necessarily mean technical acronyms relating to flying and such, more so acronyms relating to everything else other than flying.

MEC - ?? (This one's a weird one, saw it mentioned in a forum where some people were discussing union contracts and all..)

Cheers!
The union specific ones are pretty confusing.
MEC is the master executive council of the union. There are also LEC's which are local executive committees.
A TA is a tentative agreement, that needs to be ratified by the members to become a CBA or collective bargaining agreement.
MOU is a memorandum of understanding, I actually can't explain this. An MOA is another type of memorandum, that escapes me ATM (at the moment)
Expat is someone who left the country to work abroad, and expatriate. When they come home perhaps we could call them a repat?

The Jazz union discussion seem especially difficult to understand for some reason. Their CBA is massive. When you read the Air Canada ones there's a lot of talk about NB narrow body, and WB wide body pay scales. Scope clauses can get pretty confusing as well.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It's not just pilots. It's everywhere where people want to show off they belong to a 'special' group. If you go the pilot route, you'll find a lot of people using homebrew jargon and abberviations for no reason other than to feel cool or special.

If you're talking to another person, and you expect that they will need you to explain a certain word or abbreviation, and you still use it intentionally without explaining it, you're somewhere between 'trying to show off' and 'being a total asshole'. Also, spoiler, nobody is impressed by you using made up words :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

TLAs everywhere!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:02 pm TLAs everywhere!
FFS

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:03 pm
lownslow wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:02 pm TLAs everywhere!
FFS
This guy gets it

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

My favorite was a maintenance notation for a snag in the journey log. It was "NFF". The pilot went to the maintenance manager and asked what NFF meant. He was told it stood for "No Fault Found" . The pilot responded that it should mean "Not Fu*cking Fixed !" :lol:

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:46 pm My favorite was a maintenance notation for a snag in the journey log. It was "NFF". The pilot went to the maintenance manager and asked what NFF meant. He was told it stood for "No Fault Found" . The pilot responded that it should mean "Not Fu*cking Fixed !" :lol:
Yeah that's definitely NFG.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

You guys are confusing Acronyms (which you actually pronounce, like NOTAM or RADAR) and Abbreviations such as ILS or BOTL.

You’re welcome.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

ogopogo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:23 pm You guys are confusing Acronyms (which you actually pronounce, like NOTAM or RADAR) and Abbreviations such as ILS or BOTL.

You’re welcome.
Abbreviations is the umbrella term for acronyms (which you defined correctly) and initialisms (which you call abbreviations).

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Actually more like paraprosdokian entendres masking as crapulous antigrams.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

MOA is Memorandum of Agreement. How that differs from MOU…BTFOOM

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Cap'n P8 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:00 pm MOA is Memorandum of Agreement. How that differs from MOU…BTFOOM
I agree that it’s hard to understand the difference between a Memorandum of Agreement, and a Memorandum of Understanding.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

'97 Tercel wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:31 pm Actually more like paraprosdokian entendres masking as crapulous antigrams.
I got an ischemic priapism just thinking about it.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:51 pm
Cap'n P8 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:00 pm MOA is Memorandum of Agreement. How that differs from MOU…BTFOOM
I agree that it’s hard to understand the difference between a Memorandum of Agreement, and a Memorandum of Understanding.
Or are they LOU's,Letter of Understanding? bahaha

This poor guy, this is only the beginning. Just wait until you get on a larger aircraft. You will not be able to keep things straight.

dennis_h21@yahoo.ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dennis_h21@yahoo.ca »

co-joe wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am
dennis_h21@yahoo.ca wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:24 pm I'm not sure if it's just me (probably is) but I cannot believe how many times I had to click away from reading a forum just for the sole purpose of searching up what a certain acronym stands for.. Something about pilots and their acronyms :rolleyes:

Cheers!
The union specific ones are pretty confusing.
MEC is the master executive council of the union. There are also LEC's which are local executive committees.
A TA is a tentative agreement, that needs to be ratified by the members to become a CBA or collective bargaining agreement.
MOU is a memorandum of understanding, I actually can't explain this. An MOA is another type of memorandum, that escapes me ATM (at the moment)
Expat is someone who left the country to work abroad, and expatriate. When they come home perhaps we could call them a repat?

The Jazz union discussion seem especially difficult to understand for some reason. Their CBA is massive. When you read the Air Canada ones there's a lot of talk about NB narrow body, and WB wide body pay scales. Scope clauses can get pretty confusing as well.
Thanks so much for answering these!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Try picking up the Airbus FCOM!

Return to “General Comments”