Flying to US with Nexus card only

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flying to US with Nexus card only

Post by garfield »

Hi,

Waiting for my new passport but I need to travel to the USA, a coworker told me I can have problems with the gate agent if I fly with AC. Any experiences?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flying to US with Nexus card only

Post by broken_slinky »

As long as the airport or border crossing has a Nexus kiosk, you're ok.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/tr ... s-eng.html

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Nexus cards require a valid passport. If your current passport is expired and you haven't logged into Nexus to update it with a new one I'm not sure it is considered a valid travel document. Your question is probably more for US customs, but to answer your question any airline will ask you to provide passport information prior to international flight because they are probably required to by law. You can use them as ID at the gate but the check in process doesn't have an exception for passports that I know of.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

I hen I last flew the agents said passport OR nexus card, the issue ironically was at the nexus machines re entering Canada as they didn’t accept the card and needed a passport scan

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Nope....

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Was 10-15 years ago but saw first hand what happens when the border agent asks for your passport in addition to your nexus card and you don’t have it.
The person said they forgot their passport but had a nexus and photo of the passport. They were lectured for quite some time, threatened with immediate revocation of their nexus card and 7 year ban from entering the US as it was a charter so said person was already on American Soil. They we’re given the option to immediately get back in the aircraft and return to Canada or suffer all those consequences, their choice. At 30-40k round trip it was an expensive mistake for that individual.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

https://travel.gc.ca/air/identification-requirements says that you should be able to use your Nexus card but this US site says that it is only valid for air travel if used as at a Canadian per-clearence locations ( https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... nexus/card ) so maybe it depends a lot on where you are flying from and if their Nexus machines work?

Air Canada has a pretty detailed list of what you can use including a Nexus card if you just go here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... nts.html#/

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

YYCAME wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:12 pm
Air Canada has a pretty detailed list of what you can use including a Nexus card if you just go here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... nts.html#/
Although it says a Nexus card is valid id for checkin and at the gate, if you click on "passports and visas" it says that a passport is required to return to Canada (with no mention of Nexus).

But, the government of Canada site says that Nexus is valid id for international travel:

https://travel.gc.ca/air/identification-requirements

The problem is: if the gate agent insists on seeing a passport, there is little you can do at that point.

How long have you been waiting? My wife got her new passport a few months ago, and it was surprisingly fast (only took about a month I think).

You can get the urgent service, which will give you a passport the same day if you have a booked flight that day, or within 2-3 business days if you have an upcoming flight. A family member just used this recently, and it worked smoothly. However, I'm not sure how that would work if you have already submitted your documents. You can walk in to a passport office that offers this service, and they can advise if they can offer you the service.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Thanks for the answers, I will rely with AC website! Passport is expiring in more than 6 months and I leave from an airport with Nexus..just in case I have to wait more than one month to get the new one

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

YC87DRVR wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 am Was 10-15 years ago but saw first hand what happens when the border agent asks for your passport in addition to your nexus card and you don’t have it.
The person said they forgot their passport but had a nexus and photo of the passport. They were lectured for quite some time, threatened with immediate revocation of their nexus card and 7 year ban from entering the US as it was a charter so said person was already on American Soil. They we’re given the option to immediately get back in the aircraft and return to Canada or suffer all those consequences, their choice. At 30-40k round trip it was an expensive mistake for that individual.
Not only that but my understanding is the PIC and private operator can incur fines for transporting passengers without proper documentation entering the U.S. Happened once at my old company and they instituted a policy that every passenger - no matter how often or familiar with you, MUST show their passport for ALL international operations.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Yes you can and no you don't need a passport to have a Nexus card. You can get one with a birth certificate or citizenship certificate.

Some gate agents may be unfamiliar (doubtful at YYZ), ask for a supervisor if necessary.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:09 am Nope....
Are you going to back that up with a source?

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

When I got my Nexus issued, the US Border Agent who conducted the American side of my interview went out of his way to make sure I understood you needed to have a valid passport with you to utilize the Nexus Card. So until I get a letter from the US Government telling me differently, that's what I go by.

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

Cessna 180 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:59 pm Yes you can and no you don't need a passport to have a Nexus card. You can get one with a birth certificate or citizenship certificate.

Some gate agents may be unfamiliar (doubtful at YYZ), ask for a supervisor if necessary.
Only for land crossings, not for air.

For NEXUS Air, a passport is required. I believe you SHOULD technically be able to travel with just your NEXUS card by air if using preclearance... but I wouldn't ever do it. I'd always keep a passport on me.

For the case where you're waiting on a passport renewal - you DO NOT hold a valid passport during that period - when your old passport is surrendered, it is no longer valid. NEXUS air requires a valid passport. So... it's a moot point. You need a valid passport for your NEXUS Air to be used.... and even if you may be able to get away with just your NEXUS card, why would you? Your passport is the underlying travel document... just carry it with you.

If you're concerned about processing times for renewals, you can do an expedited renewal. They'll want a higher processing fee and either: a) a letter from your employer stating that you need your passport for work ASAP or b) any confirmed proof of international travel.

Hint for b) - there is nothing stopping you booking a Comfort or Latitude fare to get the proof of travel..... And if your plans should happen to change after putting in your application, and you were to have to cancel the trip and do a full refund...well, these things happen! I mean, really any fare class would work if cancelled in 24 hrs.

Go to the passport office in person if you want the expedited service. Also, most offices are running about 2 weeks now on standard service, they can tell you at the office.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

If you live in a major city the passport is probably printed in the office. I needed mine renewed and instead of paying for the super rush I paid for the express (not urgent) option and it was done the next day.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:49 am I hen I last flew the agents said passport OR nexus card, the issue ironically was at the nexus machines re entering Canada as they didn’t accept the card and needed a passport scan
That’s the only way you’ve “flown” from your posts here.

You’re obviously not a pilot. Why are you here?

Sure there is a forum somewhere for Sunwing travellers.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:47 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:49 am I hen I last flew the agents said passport OR nexus card, the issue ironically was at the nexus machines re entering Canada as they didn’t accept the card and needed a passport scan
That’s the only way you’ve “flown” from your posts here.

You’re obviously not a pilot. Why are you here?

Sure there is a forum somewhere for Sunwing travellers.
Rookie this is general comments, also when did you become a moderator? Not sure who gave you the power to say who can and can’t post on this website, are you secretly the owner?

I’m trying to help OP with their nexus question, your entire reply was an unsourced NO (very helpful!)

Return to “General Comments”