How old is to old to go to AC?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: How old is to old to go to AC?

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

altiplano wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:07 am For clarity... Junior 767 freighter Captain is around 4 years seniority I think... pretty sure that's a former furlough... That's a widebody. Pays like a narrowbody though (@#$! you Mckay) and the schedule sucks.

That said, AC isn't as good as it used to be. Far from it. Unless you're a 777 CA already or senior in your seat/base you have to be pretty adaptable as scheduling sucks and the pay isn't enough to make up for it and you work too much.

If you aren't going to be a 777 CA should you not come here? Probably not at the current package... Go be a direct entry EMJ CA at Porter for 200K+ if you are experienced. Force AC to raise new hire pay, all FO pay, make them make a career as an AC A320 CA attractive again. It used to be a really good job. Took 10 years to be the bottom A320 CA because it was pretty fuckin good. Not anymore. Almost new hire position.

We are paid the least and work the most of any developed world Legacy airline. The self aggrandizement that comes out of HQ is comical bullshit...

Also, if you do come here now make sure you're ready to go out this fall. Because when this contract is up, being ready to go out will be the only way to get it back.
You're starting to see other companies helping prop up your position now and it's time for management to pay the piper. This is going to be one helluva fight - hope your group is up for it.

8)
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'd go as soon as is it isn't a pay cut, plain and simple.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

It's not so black and white... the longer you wait the worse your QoL will be. Waiting just means there are that many more above you. Sometimes you gotta take a leap of faith.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

sstaurus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:38 am It's not so black and white... the longer you wait the worse your QoL will be. Waiting just means there are that many more above you. Sometimes you gotta take a leap of faith.
Well you make it seem like it's "black and white". (No offense intended)

Question:

"Would you go to a new job to have very few weekends and holidays off for the next 5 years, or be there when your kids are young to be involved in their life outside school?".

I've had a lot of Mondays and Tuesdays off in my career. It's a lonely existence, when everyone else is at work and school while you go to the gym, run some errands come home and scroll through AVCanada by yourself, then everyone else is off on Saturday morning while I have to go work. Ask any senior pilot: "Do your kids give a sh*t that you fly an A320 or an RJ?" Most will say "NO".

Of course, ideally you want to go to Mainline when you're young and single. By the time you get married and have kids, you're already established with good pay and a good schedule. Those guys and gals are set. We're not discussing them.

For those of us "middle age", that are not yet at AC or have started our flying career later in life, with young kids at home it's a very tough decision. The heart sais "YES, do it. That 787 looks amazing", but then logic kicks in and say "But how will my life be like?"

This is what we're talking about here, right? The topic at hand is "How old is too old to go to AC?". In some cases I'd say you're probably better off waiting till your kids are grown up a bit (teenagers) to take that crappy schedule. Money isn't everything (unless you can't get by day to day). I can't stress enough how important a schedule is.

As a side note, I'm very much against "schedule based on seniority". Everyone should have the right to some weekends and holidays off. Sure keep the seniority for pay, job security, career advancement, but not for schedule. I'm fairly senior in my position now and I'd gladly give up 2 of my weekends a month so everyone else at my company can enjoy at least two of them. I'd also give up Christmas every other year so everyone else can enjoy it too. That's just me and many senior pilots would tell me to "Screw Off". I understand their point of view too.

Last edited by RoAF-Mig21 on Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 am
sstaurus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:38 am It's not so black and white... the longer you wait the worse your QoL will be. Waiting just means there are that many more above you. Sometimes you gotta take a leap of faith.
As a side note, I'm very much against "schedule based on seniority". Everyone should have the right to some weekends and holidays off. Sure keep the seniority for pay, job security, career advancement, but not for schedule. I'm fairly senior in my position now and I'd gladly give up 2 of my weekends a month so everyone else at my company can enjoy at least two of them. I'd also give up Christmas every other year so everyone else can enjoy it too. That's just me and many senior pilots would tell me to "Screw Off". I understand their point of view too.
Bravo!

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

My intent was mostly that I'm agreeing, that it is too personal a question. An understanding partner is required as well, but such is the airline life in general. However, a 'wait and see' approach doesn't help in my opinion. If you have any inkling that you want to go, don't delay it.

I hardly think anyone who has experienced socialized bidding wouldn't prefer it, myself included. Unfortunately, I don't see a path to that changing at AC. Hopefully Rouge gets it back.

Return to “Air Canada”