Sault College Acceptance

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Martindubravsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sault College Acceptance

Post by Martindubravsky »

Just wanted to come here to ask if there's anything major I should know about as I have just accepted my offer to the Flight program at sault college for 2023. I'm really excited and hopefully you guys can fill me in on anything.
---------- ADS -----------

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sault College Acceptance

Post by wing'd »

Deleted

Last edited by wing'd on Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martindubravsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks for letting me know as someone who has already been in the program. I've heard a lot about the dropout rate and I am dedicated to making sure I do well. During your first year I assume you were in residence, how was that? Is there much to do there? Or do you get bored easily?

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wing'd »

Last edited by wing'd on Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
nutlord
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nutlord »

Could you answer questions publically, then we can all learn?

Martindubravsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

nutlord wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:21 am Could you answer questions publically, then we can all learn?
Well if anyone answers to my post in the comments hopefully it can help u too

martinFan25
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by martinFan25 »

Hello, I am currently a grade 11 student in Ontario who is passionate about aviation and has a goal to make it to commercial airlines. I have been researching different flight colleges and schools for the past year and have been trying to find the best one for me. I am expecting to have average grades of around the high 80's and am wondering if that would get me into the programs. I am mostly focused on Confed, as it is a short program, and is much better than sault from what I have heard.

I expect to live on residence, and if you do have any recommendations for other schools, they must have subsidized flight training (Which is why I am comparing Sault Confed and Seneca).

Also, private flight training is not an option for me.

My questions are.

1: Am I able to get into the programs with these marks?
2: Which program is the best if I want to go into Commercial Aviation?
3: Are there any other subsidized programs that would be good for me?

Thank you.

dot123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dot123 »

Final year Sault college student here, I was just like you when I accepted my offer to come to this school years ago because of all the good things I hear coming from the school. As someone who has a love for aviation and had learned to fly before getting my drivers license, I was eager to start my aviation career from sault college. I was motivated to get through my training and was looking forward to meeting people who had similar interests as mine.

Now! As someone who's been here and had seen the worst of this college, I can say with confidence that the cons far outweigh the pros of this school.
The atmosphere here at sault college is very toxic, The program is structured in a way that does not benefit the students, Management is oppressive, and I feel like i'm hanging on a thread here while the college is just trying to find an excuse to get rid of me. Since I am still here, I will not get into the particulars of my situation in fear that I may be treated even more unfailry than I already do.

One of the major issues I have here is with regards to the disaplanery system put in place by the program, we call these letters of warning (LOW). These LOW's are allegedly meant to address behavioral or performance deficiencies which may affect college operations or safety. You can collect a total of 5 LOW's before you are kicked from the school (the first 3 are warnings, fourth is where you'll be put in academic probation). Now that may sound fair at first, I mean we are an operation here and have a schedule we must abide. However, you can collect these LOW's and be removed from the program for very strupid reassons as well. This includes wearing a touque inside the hangar, not wearing a tie, and in one case mentioning that you're not feeling fit to fly on the day of your flight from an impromptu condition. I know people who are hanging on a thread here and are cutting corners to ensure that they don't collect that last LOW which is dangerous. These LOWs stay on your record permanently regardless if you withdraw from the program and re-enroll and have to re-do the items that you were unsuccessful in again. They don't go away unless you have a solid case with evidence. The college does not award you by having these LOWs removed for good behaviour. Even if you're the guy that drives to the airport to help conduct ground runs, push airplanes all day if you don't have a ride back home, or be in good academic standing.

Another issue I have is with regards to the learning plans after failing a flight. These are allegedly designed to target weak areas of your flying air exercises. It may sound reasonable at first until you realize that the amount of hours they slot in (and what you can get done once you're in the air) may not be suffient enough and a student may need more time to adress these weak areas. If you are unsuccessful, then you're out the door! This only gets worse during this time of year where you get to fly once a month and your flying skills begin to degrade as time passes. These learning plans don't compensate for these kinds of elements. I brought this issue up to management during my ppl learning plan with lengthy gaps in my flying and in short they said "once you signed it, there's nothing we can do to" (I'm just repharsing to make it sound what they were really trying to say).

Oh! And try to be in good standing with the people there, otherwise the instructors/examiners will probably treat you a little harsher than the rest of the students and give you some unique scenarios or give you a 2 on an excerssise where you briefly busted a tolerance because of turbulcence.

I still have more stories to share, but going any further risks exposing my identity. If I were you, i'd decline that offer of yours and go somewhere other than here to keep your sanity. Yeah the airlines love hiring people from sault college, but once you understand this industry, you will realize that this diploma is just a small box on a large list. You're more than likley going to end up as literally every other pilot here in Canada regardless of where you did your training and end up working the ramps up north or instruct, you're not going to bypass any hour requimrnets by jazz. To quote SuperchargedRS when he says "the reputation of a program is a marketing term, building your time in a tailwheel or glider while holding down a job, like commission sales or bartending, and having a good work ethic will put you years ahead of any senica, confed, etc grad".

You will most likely start developing your dislike for sault college during your early-mid second year as everyone else here. The first years will be your finest and enjoy it while you can until this college begins to demotivate you and put you down a path of bitterness.

T1DPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T1DPilot »

At the risk of getting a cease and desist letter from Sault college. I can confirm all the above is true.

I was a student at the college from 2019-2021. I did not go a single day without worrying about getting removed from the program, even though I was one of the top students. I myself entered third year having just earned my PPL, I had enough of managements bullshit and left. I'm still further ahead than most of my class of 2022, some of which are still working towards CPL or just starting their mock group 3 IR.

On top of all those issues above the school is still facing the delays started back in 2017/18 during the college strike. Them showing off their new planes is an entire publicity stunt, an attempt to deter the publics attention away from the lawsuits that have happened over removal from program and significant delays. A three year program should not take five years and every summer in-between. Unless they can fix that issue and entirely change their management thats been around since before 1995, I would steer clear.

Do you want to fly more than once a month? Go elsewhere.

Go somewhere private that will give you an IATPL or a modular program and please talk to current/former students and get their honest opinion. Some places are just out there to get your money and thats it.

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

While I didn't go there, I've only heard bad things about the Sault program firsthand from survivors, and their comments were the same as everyone above. I would listen and run honestly. It seems like going the college route like Sault or Seneca is bad in general as they feel like they own you.

Martindubravsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

dot123 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:46 am Final year Sault college student here, I was just like you when I accepted my offer to come to this school years ago because of all the good things I hear coming from the school. As someone who has a love for aviation and had learned to fly before getting my drivers license, I was eager to start my aviation career from sault college. I was motivated to get through my training and was looking forward to meeting people who had similar interests as mine.

Now! As someone who's been here and had seen the worst of this college, I can say with confidence that the cons far outweigh the pros of this school.
The atmosphere here at sault college is very toxic, The program is structured in a way that does not benefit the students, Management is oppressive, and I feel like i'm hanging on a thread here while the college is just trying to find an excuse to get rid of me. Since I am still here, I will not get into the particulars of my situation in fear that I may be treated even more unfailry than I already do.

One of the major issues I have here is with regards to the disaplanery system put in place by the program, we call these letters of warning (LOW). These LOW's are allegedly meant to address behavioral or performance deficiencies which may affect college operations or safety. You can collect a total of 5 LOW's before you are kicked from the school (the first 3 are warnings, fourth is where you'll be put in academic probation). Now that may sound fair at first, I mean we are an operation here and have a schedule we must abide. However, you can collect these LOW's and be removed from the program for very strupid reassons as well. This includes wearing a touque inside the hangar, not wearing a tie, and in one case mentioning that you're not feeling fit to fly on the day of your flight from an impromptu condition. I know people who are hanging on a thread here and are cutting corners to ensure that they don't collect that last LOW which is dangerous. These LOWs stay on your record permanently regardless if you withdraw from the program and re-enroll and have to re-do the items that you were unsuccessful in again. They don't go away unless you have a solid case with evidence. The college does not award you by having these LOWs removed for good behaviour. Even if you're the guy that drives to the airport to help conduct ground runs, push airplanes all day if you don't have a ride back home, or be in good academic standing.

Another issue I have is with regards to the learning plans after failing a flight. These are allegedly designed to target weak areas of your flying air exercises. It may sound reasonable at first until you realize that the amount of hours they slot in (and what you can get done once you're in the air) may not be suffient enough and a student may need more time to adress these weak areas. If you are unsuccessful, then you're out the door! This only gets worse during this time of year where you get to fly once a month and your flying skills begin to degrade as time passes. These learning plans don't compensate for these kinds of elements. I brought this issue up to management during my ppl learning plan with lengthy gaps in my flying and in short they said "once you signed it, there's nothing we can do to" (I'm just repharsing to make it sound what they were really trying to say).

Oh! And try to be in good standing with the people there, otherwise the instructors/examiners will probably treat you a little harsher than the rest of the students and give you some unique scenarios or give you a 2 on an excerssise where you briefly busted a tolerance because of turbulcence.

I still have more stories to share, but going any further risks exposing my identity. If I were you, i'd decline that offer of yours and go somewhere other than here to keep your sanity. Yeah the airlines love hiring people from sault college, but once you understand this industry, you will realize that this diploma is just a small box on a large list. You're more than likley going to end up as literally every other pilot here in Canada regardless of where you did your training and end up working the ramps up north or instruct, you're not going to bypass any hour requimrnets by jazz. To quote SuperchargedRS when he says "the reputation of a program is a marketing term, building your time in a tailwheel or glider while holding down a job, like commission sales or bartending, and having a good work ethic will put you years ahead of any senica, confed, etc grad".

You will most likely start developing your dislike for sault college during your early-mid second year as everyone else here. The first years will be your finest and enjoy it while you can until this college begins to demotivate you and put you down a path of bitterness.
Wow, seems like theres alot of issues at sault, but in my case, its the only place I can go. I am unable to go through with private flight training as it cost too much, I have heard a lot of negative things but I really hope that since Covid things have improved but I will have to see when I go. Confed was another option but I heard it was mostly for float ratings. Seneca was too expensive leaving sault as my only option. But thank you for the heads up.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Confed hasn't done float rating in years. What they don't give you is a multi IFR..

I'd take another look at confed. 1 year less is 1 year less of tuition and living expenses and an extra year of earnings. That will easily pay for your multi IFR at a place like KBM.

Martindubravsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

I understand the issues with both programs but I have already accepted my Sault application

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

martinFan25 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:18 pm Hello, I am currently a grade 11 student in Ontario who is passionate about aviation and has a goal to make it to commercial airlines. I have been researching different flight colleges and schools for the past year and have been trying to find the best one for me. I am expecting to have average grades of around the high 80's and am wondering if that would get me into the programs. I am mostly focused on Confed, as it is a short program, and is much better than sault from what I have heard.

I expect to live on residence, and if you do have any recommendations for other schools, they must have subsidized flight training (Which is why I am comparing Sault Confed and Seneca).

My questions are.

Thank you.
Why is private flight training not an option for you?

My advice is this. Go to university, get a proper degree (that can be used as a backup to flying), then get your licenses on the side. You can do it at your own pace and don't have to put up with all the negative aspects and uncertanty of certain flight colleges.

Martindubravsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:23 am
martinFan25 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:18 pm Hello, I am currently a grade 11 student in Ontario who is passionate about aviation and has a goal to make it to commercial airlines. I have been researching different flight colleges and schools for the past year and have been trying to find the best one for me. I am expecting to have average grades of around the high 80's and am wondering if that would get me into the programs. I am mostly focused on Confed, as it is a short program, and is much better than sault from what I have heard.

My questions are.

Thank you.

My advice is this. Go to university, get a proper degree (that can be used as a backup to flying), then get your licenses on the side. You can do it at your own pace and don't have to put up with all the negative aspects and uncertanty of certain flight colleges.
Private Flight Training is not an option because I CANNOT afford it.

Martindubravsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:23 am

My questions are.

Thank you.

Also this person posting this is not me, it is someone fucking with me.

Return to “Flight Training”