A more-to-the-casual side of the spectrum examiner in Victoria

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

M. Essaie
Rank 2
Rank 2

A more-to-the-casual side of the spectrum examiner in Victoria

Post by M. Essaie »

Recently retired ATPL and had a class one for 40 years. Now I'd like to get a Class 4 but am not elegible for self-declaration. Anybody have experience of an AME on the island who has a human/rational approach to the issue thereof?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: A more-to-the-casual side of the spectrum examiner in Victoria

Post by Bede »

1) Are you referring to a CATEGORY 1 MEDICAL conducted by a Civil Aviation Medical Examiner (CAME)? In Canada an AME is an aircraft maintenance engineer.
2) explain "human/rational approach to the issue thereof".

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I also thought you were talking about a class 4 instructor rating and was wondering what an AME (maintenance engineer) had to do with it…

But on the basis that you’re asking about medicals: If you have ever held a category 1 medical then you still do, unless the minister withdrew it, or you surrendered it in writing. All you need to do is renew it, which any CAME can do.

If you have a condition that precludes renewing a category 1 medical certificate and you want to downgrade to a category 3 medical then you need to write to TC first, and when they have issued your category 3 in your ADB you can get that renewed by a CAME.

It’s very hard to think of a circumstance where downgrading to a category 4 medical will be appropriate: the category 3 medical standards are actually more permissive. If you don’t qualify for a category 4 medical by declaration then I don’t think a CAME can help you - there is no CAME route to a category 4, as far as I know. On the other hand there are many conditions disqualifying for a category 4 medical with which a category 3 will still be issued.

You will at the same time want to downgrade (or have already downgraded) your ATPL to a PPL.

In theory all CAMEs should examine you to the same standard. Have you used the search engine on the TC website?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

? Hang on? Doesn't your ATPL stay valid as long as you have a Cat1 medical, and pass an IFR ride every24 months?
That is, I could have an ATPL, quit flying and flip burgers for 10 years, and start up again, and as soon as I've passed the IFR, and have th medical, I'm 'AA' once again, no?

Return to “Flight Training”