Morningstar 757 schedule/flying

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Morningstar 757 schedule/flying

Post by Blueontop »

Looking for information on the 757 gig, what are the routes that are typical, day/night flying, what are the hours of the night flying, what a typical week/month looks like, remuneration/OT availability, what does a layover look like (if any), upgrade time, bond?

TIA for dealing with all the questions, couldn’t find anything on the Morningstar forum
---------- ADS -----------

Spotify
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Morningstar 757 schedule/flying

Post by Spotify »

Same very much interested. I get the feeling lots of guys are using this as a steppingstone to get into Air Canada.

HayNah757
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HayNah757 »

So right now on the FO side things are busy. Very busy. We have a bunch of new hires and once they're on line that should really help.

Schedule is difficult. Typically arrive at the office around 11pm-1am. Flight leaves 90 minutes later. Fly to the west or east cost. Arrive 3am-5am local time. Sleep for the day. Flight back to Toronto around 7-9pm local. Arrive back in Toronto around 1am-3am.

When we are properly staffed you can usually count on one trip per week. So leave Tuesday. Back Thursday morning. That's your week. Weekends off.

As of right now most of our pairings are two days. Leave Monday night, back Wednesday morning as an example. We don't typically fly on weekends or holidays which is nice.

With that said though we do have weekend trips. The weekend trips can be long but they're super easy. We do weekends in Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal. Typically you'll fly out on the Thursday night. Get to YVR/YYC/YMX early in the morning and then you don't fly out again until Monday night. On the YMX weekend we hop over to Halifax on the Sunday night.

Now the nice part is that you're completely free when you're on your weekends. You're not on call. Guys go skiing, hiking, road trips, etc. Our Montreal weekend hotel is downtown across the street from the Bell Centre. Last time I did a Montreal weekend the girlfriend came down on the train and we spent the weekend together in Montreal. Not a bad gig.

You can typically expect to do a weekend trip once every 2-3 months.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

HayNah757 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 am So right now on the FO side things are busy. Very busy. We have a bunch of new hires and once they're on line that should really help.

Schedule is difficult. Typically arrive at the office around 11pm-1am. Flight leaves 90 minutes later. Fly to the west or east cost. Arrive 3am-5am local time. Sleep for the day. Flight back to Toronto around 7-9pm local. Arrive back in Toronto around 1am-3am.

When we are properly staffed you can usually count on one trip per week. So leave Tuesday. Back Thursday morning. That's your week. Weekends off.

As of right now most of our pairings are two days. Leave Monday night, back Wednesday morning as an example. We don't typically fly on weekends or holidays which is nice.

With that said though we do have weekend trips. The weekend trips can be long but they're super easy. We do weekends in Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal. Typically you'll fly out on the Thursday night. Get to YVR/YYC/YMX early in the morning and then you don't fly out again until Monday night. On the YMX weekend we hop over to Halifax on the Sunday night.

Now the nice part is that you're completely free when you're on your weekends. You're not on call. Guys go skiing, hiking, road trips, etc. Our Montreal weekend hotel is downtown across the street from the Bell Centre. Last time I did a Montreal weekend the girlfriend came down on the train and we spent the weekend together in Montreal. Not a bad gig.

You can typically expect to do a weekend trip once every 2-3 months.
Thanks for the detailed info!
How long is the bond and how much? Pro-rated?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

That sounds like a really good job. I do t know why anyone would leave that.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

HayNah757 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 am When we are properly staffed you can usually count on one trip per week. So leave Tuesday. Back Thursday morning. That's your week. Weekends off.
What is it like when you're not properly staffed? Is more even possible with the updated duty regs? I don't know how you could do this more than once a week and not be a fatigue zombie - weekends off or not.

Morningstar_Reality
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Morningstar_Reality »

Bede wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:22 pm That sounds like a really good job. I do t know why anyone would leave that.

There you have it. The fact that the company is constantly having to hire without expanding or retirements tells you that plenty are indeed leaving for a reason.

Morningstar_Reality
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Morningstar_Reality »

thepoors wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 am
HayNah757 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 am When we are properly staffed you can usually count on one trip per week. So leave Tuesday. Back Thursday morning. That's your week. Weekends off.
What is it like when you're not properly staffed? Is more even possible with the updated duty regs? I don't know how you could do this more than once a week and not be a fatigue zombie - weekends off or not.

It can get much worse than that when not properly staffed, which we aren't at the moment and hasn't been for years. Years ago we even had to grieve the staffing situation due to how skinny the company was running us. We're talking scheduled over 100 credits per month. Things are not that bad now, but not exactly great.

Yes, you will be a fatigue zombie even with a somewhat normal schedule. But that is more to do with the nature of the business. Night cargo is taxing on the body and there is really no way around it. Fedex and UPS make up for it with spectacular pay and benefits. That's not how we do it up in Canada, eh?

Shre97
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Shre97 »

Hey Guys,

I work as a flight instructor now. Is it possible to get in to any company, on any of the Boeing family A/C with 750TT with MULTI IFR and IATRA, with 50Hr multi time and no turbine hours? I don't mind working long hours and weird schedule.

Thank you

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

You'll need 1500TT just to get on the 208 at morningstar then do that for a few years to jump over to the 757. So... direct heavy jet with 750TT... not in Canada that I'm aware of.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

What about 2300 tt without turbine time?

Info from morningstar employees is appreciated.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

khedrei wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:58 pm What about 2300 tt without turbine time?

[/.

I doubt it, but to try only costs a resume. Apply for the jobs you want not the jobs you think you can get.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Shre97
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Shre97 »

Thanks Invertago. Appreciate it.

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

khedrei wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:58 pm What about 2300 tt without turbine time?

Going from piston poppers to B757 is a big jump. You get about 80 hours in the sim, but a lot of that time will be wasted on learning how to fly fast and high and then slow down for approaches. Then you have the added stress and difficulty of learning to use automation properly and run the FMS. If you haven't ever spent any time in a simulator that's another challenge. They break a lot of stuff and set you on fire, often!

They may hire you, but I would be cautious about accepting the position unless you are VERY confident in your IFR and situational awareness. You'll need at least those two things locked down to succeed.

I would recommend getting on at a regional turbo prop operator or a more advanced medevac platform(Carson or Ornge come to mind) for a minimum of 1 year before trying to jump to jets.

Just my two cents! Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they hired you.

Good luck!

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

80 hours of sim ?
That's a lot of sim !

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

nohojob wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:18 am 80 hours of sim ?
That's a lot of sim !
It's overkill. We do 10 Procedures training events which are 4 hours each. This is done in the FTD which is almost identical to the sim but no visuals and no motion.

After that we do 10 sessions in the sim. It might even be more like 12. I can't quite remember.

So yeah if you add the procedures training time to the sim time you're looking at 80 hours. By the end of it you want to blow your brains out. There's a VFR day, and a HUD and EFVS day. Those are pretty interesting but aside from that it's the usual engine fire, single engine approach, hydraulic failure, non-precision, rinse and repeat.

The trainers are excellent. You will be very well prepared. It's just overkill.

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

Ok, that's make more sense this way. I was thinking of 20 session in a sim ! After 10 sessions you're already in a Zombie state ! ;)

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Other than the one late night departure, this sounds like a great gig for someone to have.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

Duukar wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:12 pm

Going from piston poppers to B757 is a big jump. You get about 80 hours in the sim, but a lot of that time will be wasted on learning how to fly fast and high and then slow down for approaches. Then you have the added stress and difficulty of learning to use automation properly and run the FMS. If you haven't ever spent any time in a simulator that's another challenge. They break a lot of stuff and set you on fire, often!

They may hire you, but I would be cautious about accepting the position unless you are VERY confident in your IFR and situational awareness. You'll need at least those two things locked down to succeed.

I would recommend getting on at a regional turbo prop operator or a more advanced medevac platform(Carson or Ornge come to mind) for a minimum of 1 year before trying to jump to jets.

Just my two cents! Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they hired you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the insight. I know its a big jump.

I'm more than happy to work a regional or medevac but not for what they are currently paying. Ill keep working on building the training business before I accept barely min wage to drive into the city and pay parking.

My IFR and situational awareness is well above average for my TT and I'm very comfortable with various FMS and glass panel systems. Just have to get used to theirs. So that part id be more confident in. The rest of it would be a big jump. I also worked in multi crew environment hauling 40 million lbs of freight at a time for many years in my previous career so I have a good appreciation for SOPs.

I sent one in. We will see. That was a couple weeks back nothing yet.

Thanks again.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Ah you'd be fine. A number of the FOs that were hired in the last 18 months or so had no multi-time at all and they did just fine. They did have some turbine time though so that might be the hard part for you.

I'm sure you'd adapt easily enough but I'm not sure if they'd take someone on with no turbine time. But who knows. Worst that can happen is they don't call you.

Return to “Employment Forum”