The world thinks you are living the dream!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

The world thinks you are living the dream!

Post by JHR »

So...are you living the dream? Or would you rather be a youtuber?

https://generalaviationnews.com/2023/02 ... newsletter

A new study of Google searches finds that becoming a pilot is the world’s No. 1 dream job, topping the wish lists of 25 countries, including the United States, the UK, and Australia.

Remitly, a financial services provider for immigrants, wanted to find out each country’s desired profession to discover which jobs people would be willing to relocate for. To do this, they analyzed Google searches between October 2021 and October 2022 in all languages for search terms associated with dreaming of a new job or career, such as “how to become a pilot” for close to 200 different job types, and ranked which are searched for the most.

“Becoming a pilot, known for its excellent pay, great job prospects, and travel opportunities, is a clear favorite for everywhere from the United Kingdom and Australia, to Cyprus and Montenegro,” company officials said. “With almost 1 million Google searches per year around becoming a pilot, it’s the ultimate dream job, however a career as a writer isn’t far behind, topping the wish lists of countries including India, New Zealand, and South Africa.”
---------- ADS -----------

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The world thinks you are living the dream!

Post by newlygrounded »

JHR wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:57 am So...are you living the dream? Or would you rather be a youtuber?

https://generalaviationnews.com/2023/02 ... newsletter

A new study of Google searches finds that becoming a pilot is the world’s No. 1 dream job, topping the wish lists of 25 countries, including the United States, the UK, and Australia.

Remitly, a financial services provider for immigrants, wanted to find out each country’s desired profession to discover which jobs people would be willing to relocate for. To do this, they analyzed Google searches between October 2021 and October 2022 in all languages for search terms associated with dreaming of a new job or career, such as “how to become a pilot” for close to 200 different job types, and ranked which are searched for the most.

“Becoming a pilot, known for its excellent pay, great job prospects, and travel opportunities, is a clear favorite for everywhere from the United Kingdom and Australia, to Cyprus and Montenegro,” company officials said. “With almost 1 million Google searches per year around becoming a pilot, it’s the ultimate dream job, however a career as a writer isn’t far behind, topping the wish lists of countries including India, New Zealand, and South Africa.”
Great pay :smt014

Next time I go to McDonald’s I’ll let the cashier know they make extraordinary pay

rando
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rando »

The problem why skilled trades are not popular is because they don't pay credit system like pilots. If electricians were paid elecrocredit, where they go to work for 10 hours, but only get paid 5 credits, the desirability would be huge!

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

The aren’t popular because you actually have to do work.

They do get paid “electro credit”. contractors only charge a fraction of the hours they work. Driving to location, getting supplies, doing billing/accounting.. all on their own time. That’s why labour rates like credit hours are much higher than a typical full time hourly rate.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Um yeah your wrong. All time is billed. Never on your own time. Not sure what crappy contractor you heard this from. That’s just plain dumb on that persons part.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

-42 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:03 pm Um yeah your wrong. All time is billed. Never on your own time. Not sure what crappy contractor you heard this from. That’s just plain dumb on that persons part.
Um, you’re wrong, not your wrong, but I digress. I just had an electrician and plumber fix my garage heater. Day one, 1 hour to trouble shoot, head to the city for parts, told me he waited two hours for the parts. Day two, electrician and plumber spent 2 and 1/2 hours fixing and retrofitting a boiler auto filler tank. Total bill was 4 hours labour plus parts and a 35.00 truck charge.
So he definitely did not charge for all his time, however the labour was 90/hr. Much like us he actually made 45/hr based on how much time put in.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

He charged you. 45 an hour. Hold onto that guy like grim death. Not a very bright individual.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

cdnavater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:44 pm
-42 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:03 pm Um yeah your wrong. All time is billed. Never on your own time. Not sure what crappy contractor you heard this from. That’s just plain dumb on that persons part.
Um, you’re wrong, not your wrong, but I digress. I just had an electrician and plumber fix my garage heater. Day one, 1 hour to trouble shoot, head to the city for parts, told me he waited two hours for the parts. Day two, electrician and plumber spent 2 and 1/2 hours fixing and retrofitting a boiler auto filler tank. Total bill was 4 hours labour plus parts and a 35.00 truck charge.
So he definitely did not charge for all his time, however the labour was 90/hr. Much like us he actually made 45/hr based on how much time put in.
That's a really good deal, most service companies in any trade charge from the moment they leave the shop till the moment they get back at the end of the day. That said, their vans should be fully stocked and spending time to go get parts just shows they weren't prepared properly and chose not to charge you for that.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

co-joe wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:24 pm
cdnavater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:44 pm
That's a really good deal, most service companies in any trade charge from the moment they leave the shop till the moment they get back at the end of the day. That said, their vans should be fully stocked and spending time to go get parts just shows they weren't prepared properly and chose not to charge you for that.
Not really, the parts were a for a non common boiler and I can’t imagine any electrician having these particular parts in their van. In fact there is only one company in the city that sells this boiler.
To that end he was very fair, and I’m sure the mark up on parts more than made up for the discount on their time. They were both there for the 2.5 hours but had to complete the tasks separately, so again fair.
Either way, I will use them again

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:46 am ...

Not really, the parts were a for a non common boiler and I can’t imagine any electrician having these particular parts in their van. In fact there is only one company in the city that sells this boiler.
To that end he was very fair, and I’m sure the mark up on parts more than made up for the discount on their time. They were both there for the 2.5 hours but had to complete the tasks separately, so again fair.
Either way, I will use them again
I would absolutely use them again, and I would recommend them by name, good service is worth paying for, cheap service that's good, is usually slow, if you got all three, that's a unicorn.

Return to “General Comments”