Recruiting Video

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Recruiting Video

Post by cloak »

This paranoia that whoever doesn't agree with "us few angry usual suspects" must belong to the sinister corporation is just sad and an obstacle to one's own inner peace. There could be a civilized discussion, when and if there's a mature and respectful discourse. Perhaps, a product of our times when lack of personal contact has confused some into assuming lack of decorum as normal. And it has been shown here that some who ostensibly portray themselves as WestJet pilots or passionately sympathize with them, are either not who they seem or have ulterior motives! Buyer beware!
---------- ADS -----------

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

cloak wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:48 pm This paranoia that whoever doesn't agree with "us few angry usual suspects" must belong to the sinister corporation is just sad and an obstacle to one's own inner peace. There could be a civilized discussion, when and if there's a mature and respectful discourse. Perhaps, a product of our times when lack of personal contact has confused some into assuming lack of decorum as normal. And it has been shown here that some who ostensibly portray themselves as WestJet pilots or passionately sympathize with them, are either not who they seem or have ulterior motives! Buyer beware!
Since I am unaware of who you are but have seen that you were accused of no longer being a WestJet pilot, I will ask, are you currently a pilot in the WestJet group of companies?

WestJet has turned from a great employer that empowers it's employees to go the extra mile to a company that sells off everything and contracts out to the lowest bidder and puts it's employees down at every available opportunity.

Here are some examples:
This is where the standby travel phone number used to live.

This is a quote of the CEO from the most recent town hall:
Question: WestJet is losing 30-40 pilots per month since October. New hire ground schools are cancelled because no one is showing up. How are we supposed to grow, losing pilots and not being able to hire any new ones. Uh, if someone wants to validate those facts and respond...

Alexis: Yeah. Yeah, so, while it is true we are losing more pilots than we want to, so far we are actually able to back fill them. So I think that's good news. And of course we also want to grow our productivity, which is also one sort of growth, but in the long run we of course want to have more pilots.
[looks directly into the camera]
But let's not forget one thing. Not everybody in this company has the interest that we keep pilots and that we'll grow our pilots our pilots out (sic). Because we are in bargaining and it is a pretty transpicious... transpicious (sic) strategy that uh trying to dry up pilot supply by the party we are bargaining with is going to, from their point of view, hopefully increase our readiness to, erm, to pay a expensive deal in the end. Now we are not going to do that because, uh, we'd rather fly few pilots, er, few planes less than agreeing to a contract that puts us into a non-competitive place because this would put all our... [looks down at the office employees in the room] your jobs at risk and this is not what we want to get to. We are in a special situation during bargaining. We just have to recognize that as long as we are in bargaining this game will continue and whoever will like to get some more insight into this [smirks] maybe you want to watch this video that, um, the union has created on anti-pilot recruitment, um, or maybe you don't want to watch it [laughs] but it's pretty obvious what's going on here.
WestJet Encore offered MOA4 to it's pilots and put a clause to get it approved sooner to lose money from it. Once approved, they did not pay it on time, explaining that it was easier for them to pay a month in arrears. The next month, the pay date came and went without the money being sent.

Excerpt from the management email explaining the MOA4:
As you know, there have been many concerns amongst Encore Pilots, that have arisen as a result of the recovery from the pandemic, the cancellation of the Pilot Transfer Agreement (PTA) and the Company’s new strategic direction – all of which have impacted pilot retention at Encore.

We recognize these concerns and over the past several months, the Company has been working collaboratively with the ALPA Master Executive Committee (MEC) to come up with a temporary solution until the next Collective Agreement is negotiated. The result was a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA), ratified by the pilot group on January 10, outlining pilot lump sum payments.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

I realize that my point in my reply above was not as clear as it can be.

WestJet today is not the same WestJet that we had two plus years ago.

Profit has become the number one driving force. The company prioritizes profits over safety. One less slice of swiss cheese in to stop an accident.

The executives have resorted to smear the pilot group in front of and directly to the other employee groups as a bargaining tactic. They continuously fail to recognize the power imbalance between employer and employee and think that they can put their employees down.

The company pushes what it sees as a retention deal and then promptly reminds the pilots that they will continue to do what is most convenient for them. That one backfired as pilot losses are increasing. From Encore alone, 45 pilots have left since January 1 of this year (~20 per month).

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Did the company finally pay the $850 lump sum from February and march?

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:32 am Did the company finally pay the $850 lump sum from February and march?
No. Only January so far and it was several days late. They have yet to send pay stubs out for it and it's been a week now.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

averageatbest wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 am
kiaszceski wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:32 am Did the company finally pay the $850 lump sum from February and march?
No. Only January so far and it was several days late. They have yet to send pay stubs out for it and it's been a week now.
What if someone leaves in 3 days? Will they be paid for feb and march or there’s a trick to not pay those folks in the MOA?

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:51 am
averageatbest wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 am
What if someone leaves in 3 days? Will they be paid for feb and march or there’s a trick to not pay those folks in the MOA?
They need to be active for one day in the scheduling period. I'm sure the company will consider that to be "on the line, flying," but in reality all that means is that they need to have something, even a GDO, on their schedule.

That's right, if you're going to quit for an April 1 ground school, you're better off putting notice in for April 2 and calling in sick if needed on the first.

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

Well Cloak,

I am sorry that you feel offended that WestJet pilots are no longer content to be the lowest paid 737 pilots in North America, possibly the entire globe. I am sure that the wages of Canadian pilots are going to increasing will causes you deep personal distress and harm. I know this doesn't align with the company's goals or culture at this time but market forces will force the matter regardless of opinion.

I am certain you will survive.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Oh boy! Either simply SDs from other airlines trying to rile up others for their own ends, overzealous (Encore?) pilots who are possibly well-meaning and mostly harmless, still lack perception of the comments or the literary arsenal to adequately articulate their point without being abrasive, or those who offer lots in terms of quantity, yet are average at best in quality! None help the situation. Diplomacy does.

Regardless, those who perceive, understand that there is little disagreement as to what is lacking or needs to be achieved for WestJet pilots, only that the method is not conducive to building consensus. One possible solution might be the involvement of more very senior pilots in negotiations, those who love the company and know its potential and garner great respect from all, to build consensus and move things forward. That will benefit all, veterans, newcomers, the vocal minority, the silent majority, the aspiring Encorians, even those who simply joined to fly jets!!

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

cloak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:18 pm One possible solution might be the involvement of more very senior pilots in negotiations, those who love the company and know its potential and garner great respect from all, to build consensus and move things forward.
Oh boy. I don’t have a dog in this fight but even as an outside observer I can tell you’ve completely lost the plot.

Glory days are done for you. Time to sit down. Nothing to be ashamed of.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I love the "the senior guys aren't part of the negotiations" and "the senior guys are left out". Every time I hear that I ask "did you raise your hand to join the committee?" I am still waiting to get a "yes, I volunteered" to that question.

The old guard was in power for many years. A lot of people in that group find themselves working past 65 because they can't reture. So. Tell me again about how good we used to have it and how great espp and profit share was?

Biff
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Biff »

cloak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:18 pm One possible solution might be the involvement of more very senior pilots in negotiations, those who love the company and know its potential and garner great respect from all, to build consensus and move things forward. That will benefit all, veterans, newcomers, the vocal minority, the silent majority, the aspiring Encorians, even those who simply joined to fly jets!!
WOW. Any credibility that cloak was hanging on to just disappeared. I guess he doesn’t recognize why we unionized in the first place. Probably time to retire “cloak” and stick to your other handles.

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

I gave you a bit of a gentle ribbing there Cloak, no need to go all Will Smith.

I don't know how to break this to you but, it requires at least 2 to have a relationship. The pilots (union) tried that and the company made it very clear that they were not interested in a relationship. They continue to make it abundantly clear that they don't want a relationship. So, since you brought up the term relationship, I'll used that metaphor to ask you a question I would really like to hear your perspective on.

When you are in an abusive relationship with a partner who is all take and no give, what are you supposed to do? Because your only answer so far is, to work harder at pleasing the person who is beating you every day hoping that if you just try hard enough they will stop the beatings and be nice to you.

I am serious, I think you'll survive if we get a raise.

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

P. S. If you truly believe this is the case, that it is a small number of pilots in the company who are willing and ready to strike, you are going to be in for a very large surprise.
cloak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:18 pm Oh boy! Either simply SDs from other airlines trying to rile up others for their own ends, overzealous (Encore?) pilots who are possibly well-meaning and mostly harmless,

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

cloak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:18 pm Oh boy! Either simply SDs from other airlines trying to rile up others for their own ends, overzealous (Encore?) pilots who are possibly well-meaning and mostly harmless, still lack perception of the comments or the literary arsenal to adequately articulate their point without being abrasive, or those who offer lots in terms of quantity, yet are average at best in quality! None help the situation. Diplomacy does.

Regardless, those who perceive, understand that there is little disagreement as to what is lacking or needs to be achieved for WestJet pilots, only that the method is not conducive to building consensus. One possible solution might be the involvement of more very senior pilots in negotiations, those who love the company and know its potential and garner great respect from all, to build consensus and move things forward. That will benefit all, veterans, newcomers, the vocal minority, the silent majority, the aspiring Encorians, even those who simply joined to fly jets!!
Still out of touch with the current state of affairs at the WestJet group.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

LOL, it must be a pretty balanced message if the messenger is thought to be senior, junior, outsider, and a manager all at the same time! At any rate, senior or junior, it's not the messenger, rather the message that counts. And the message is this: diplomacy is needed to build consensus, coming from "partners" seeking meaningful improvements in accordance with market forces. That will resonate with other partners. Antagonism and silly videos don't. And strikes may seem exciting, but they will cause lasting damages to finances and relationships, not to be taken lightly. Word to the wise.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

cloak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:06 pm LOL, it must be a pretty balanced message if the messenger is thought to be senior, junior, outsider, and a manager all at the same time! At any rate, senior or junior, it's not the messenger, rather the message that counts. And the message is this: diplomacy is needed to build consensus, coming from "partners" seeking meaningful improvements in accordance with market forces. That will resonate with other partners. Antagonism and silly videos don't. And strikes may seem exciting, but they will cause lasting damages to finances and relationships, not to be taken lightly. Word to the wise.
Ok guys. Now I’m scared. Ha!

Work action / strikes have existed since well before Westjets time. If anyone is damaging the relationship around this place, look to the other side of the table. They still refuse to accept their company has been unionized and until they learn to respect the relationship, we are going to continue on this path.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

cloak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:06 pm LOL, it must be a pretty balanced message if the messenger is thought to be senior, junior, outsider, and a manager all at the same time! At any rate, senior or junior, it's not the messenger, rather the message that counts. And the message is this: diplomacy is needed to build consensus, coming from "partners" seeking meaningful improvements in accordance with market forces. That will resonate with other partners. Antagonism and silly videos don't. And strikes may seem exciting, but they will cause lasting damages to finances and relationships, not to be taken lightly. Word to the wise.
You still haven't answered my question.
Since I am unaware of who you are but have seen that you were accused of no longer being a WestJet pilot, I will ask, are you currently a pilot in the WestJet group of companies?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

This thread has turned surreal.
There’s a reason WJ has TEN TIMES as many active grievances per pilot than Air Canada. It’s a relationship of one-sided abuse and contempt that may very well end up in a strike/lockout which could be the final nail in WJ’s coffin. It has been a long time coming.
The idea of some ‘senior pilots’ who ‘love the company’ being able to change this is preposterous. I’ve always enjoyed and respected Cloak’s posts and learned a lot from the analytical responses. Now I’m questioning motives.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Cloak,
Outsider here, have you heard the saying, “the company gets the union they deserve”?
This is what’s happening here, unions don’t just happen, if WJ was working with the group you’d still have the same relationship you had 10 years ago. It’s not because WJ hired a bunch of Jazz pilots.
From what I’ve heard from insiders and what’s available publicly, I’d be voting yes to a strike too! I don’t think anybody takes a strike vote lightly, people strike to send a message, we are sick of watching upper management squeeze us for more and then rewarding themselves with the spoils.
Unless WJ come back to the table in a meaningful way, you will be striking!( or Lockout)!
Good luck WJ pilots

Return to “WestJet”