New pay scales

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New pay scales

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:11 am E2 captain pay is good but I still feel like there is room for improvement on the FO side.
Likely be more pressure if AC adjusts theirs. It seems a consistent average amongst Canadian airlines that FOs are 'only' worth between 55-70k. I'd love to see AC FO's, especially for the talent they are still acquiring starting closer to the US mainlines, 91-95k then onto formula.

For now though, well done Porter, 4 months into a brand new AOC, literally 17 days since revenue day zero, and already raising the industry bar.
---------- ADS -----------

rando
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rando »

flyinhigh wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:39 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:11 am E2 captain pay is good but I still feel like there is room for improvement on the FO side.
At 63K per annum, it’s pretty descent.

I did think the DH8 should have come up though. Folks who were on the fence about transferring over previously will be bailing from the Dash program in a New York minute now, leaving that program severely deprived.
Decent compared to what? Other airlines in Canada?

It’s not decent until every FO makes at least 100k yr.

100 a year today is same as about 80 3 years ago. Our government Ponzi scheme monetary system moves much faster than wages.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:45 am
Likely be more pressure if AC adjusts theirs. It seems a consistent average amongst Canadian airlines that FOs are 'only' worth between 55-70k. I'd love to see AC FO's, especially for the talent they are still acquiring starting closer to the US mainlines, 91-95k then onto formula.

For now though, well done Porter, 4 months into a brand new AOC, literally 17 days since revenue day zero, and already raising the industry bar.
eh, raising the bar would be upping the Q pay quite a bit. This is because they need more guys on the EMB.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I agree that FO pay should be 100K to start. That puts it at roughly 2/3 of first year captain pay which I think is fair given the responsibilities and requirements of the job. AC first year pay should double but I doubt we will see that.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:00 am I agree that FO pay should be 100K to start. That puts it at roughly 2/3 of first year captain pay which I think is fair given the responsibilities and requirements of the job. AC first year pay should double but I doubt we will see that.
Agreed on both, pay needs to come up commensurate with experience, that being said, if they continue to put 250 hour pilots in the right seat, I don’t see it happening to the degree we would like to see.
Some airlines in the past have an additional salary per 500 hrs PIC, could something like this work, I think so. That being said, I believe the non ATPL pilots should be compensated fairly as well. The net result of paying more for more experience will have and increase for the lower experience 704, 703 ops.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:23 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:00 am I agree that FO pay should be 100K to start. That puts it at roughly 2/3 of first year captain pay which I think is fair given the responsibilities and requirements of the job. AC first year pay should double but I doubt we will see that.
Agreed on both, pay needs to come up commensurate with experience, that being said, if they continue to put 250 hour pilots in the right seat, I don’t see it happening to the degree we would like to see.
Please provide an example of any major in the country that has a 250 hr pilot in the right seat. I'd say most nothern carriers dont even do that in turboprops.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

khedrei wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:34 am
Please provide an example of any major in the country that has a 250 hr pilot in the right seat. I'd say most nothern carriers dont even do that in turboprops.
I agree that there really isn't a significant number of 250 hour pilots in the right seat of an airliner. Aside from a handful of Sunwing cadets, I can't think of anyone with that sort of experience in the right seat. That being said, its not exactly wild speculation to see that this is where things are headed. Every major airline in Canada has been gradually lowering the experience required to get in with them. An email from the union at Transat explicitly mentioned that the company was seriously looking at a cadet program to meet their staffing requirements.

Companies will sooner hire someone with less time than pay more. Our American brothers benefited when a hard floor was placed on the experience required. We don't have that here, at least not yet. So I think it's fair to assume we will continue to see First Officers being hired with exceedingly fewer hours before we see any signifiant movement on the pay side.

Last edited by Tbayer2021 on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
canadianpilot101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by canadianpilot101 »

Wasaya and Perimeter do for sure on the classic dash/ beech 1900/ metros.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

canadianpilot101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:49 am

Saying they require a minimum of 250 hours is different than putting a 250 hour pilot in the right seat of a 1900. Im not saying it hasn't ever happened. I assume you know someone personally that got hired with 250 hours? Otherwise its hear say.

Also, putting ONE 250 hour pilot in the right seat doesn't mean they make a habit of it. Using the term "continue" seems to imply its happening often and everywhere.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

khedrei wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:57 am
canadianpilot101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:49 am

Saying they require a minimum of 250 hours is different than putting a 250 hour pilot in the right seat of a 1900. Im not saying it hasn't ever happened. I assume you know someone personally that got hired with 250 hours? Otherwise its hear say.

Also, putting ONE 250 hour pilot in the right seat doesn't mean they make a habit of it. Using the term "continue" seems to imply its happening often and everywhere.
Sorry to burst your bubble, it has been happening at Jazz for years, not months. I also encountered a 750TT Captain on metro 3, who told me they flew with bare commercial licence in the right seat, in the mountains no less.
Not sure where you’ve been but it is happening on a fairly large scale, the only major not looking at this right now is AC, as they have Jazz for that.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

I asked to provide an example of a MAJOR in canada that hires 250 hour CPLs.

Wasaya and Perimeter are not majors. Unless your definition is different than mine.

Again, I could be mistaken... That's why I asked for an example.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

Sunwing, Jazz. 95% of the northern operators do that in turboprops.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

khedrei wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:19 am I asked to provide an example of a MAJOR in canada that hires 250 hour CPLs.

Wasaya and Perimeter are not majors. Unless your definition is different than mine.

Why don’t you tell us your definition of “major”, list them and we can tell you who is, mmmkkkkay

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

This is probably trying to keep a union out (they hired a lot of guys to the jet from outside Porter that would be used to a union, and they pissed off basically all the dash 8 people with pay cuts and equipment "freeze").

I hope their employees see through this and organize regardless.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

khedrei wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:19 am I asked to provide an example of a MAJOR in canada that hires 250 hour CPLs.

I’m not sure what your definition of major is but Jazz has been doing it for as long as I can remember and Sunwing has a large cadet program. About 1/3 of the 120+ pilots hired in the last year were straight out of flight school.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

How about the airlines listed in the main page of this forum. Large 705 operators. Seems to make sense.

Sunning doesn't hire 250 hr pilots.

Jazz lists their hiring minimums at 500 hours. I think it was 800 a couple weeks ago.

Perhaps I'm missing something but I still don't see it.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Jazz has 100% been putting 250hr college kids in the right seats of Q400’s and RJ’s for years now.

When I started at Jazz my initial sim partner was a college kid, told me he had more time in the sim in his log book than in an actual airplane.

Jazz was his first job. Ever.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

khedrei wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:06 pm How about the airlines listed in the main page of this forum. Large 705 operators. Seems to make sense.

Jazz lists their hiring minimums at 500 hours. I think it was 800 a couple weeks ago.

They don’t hire them off the street at 250 hours but they do through the college programs and the jazz approach program that’s starting up

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

khedrei wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:06 pm How about the airlines listed in the main page of this forum. Large 705 operators. Seems to make sense.

Jazz was 750, now 500 off the street

Encore has listed 250 hour min since late 2021... has anyone been hired off the street with the mins, no, but it might happen in the near future

As others have said, Sunwing and Jazz have been hiring 250 hour cadets for years now

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I am a trainer at SWG. I can assure you that I have trained many 250hr pilots in the last 12 months.

Return to “Porter Airlines”