bumping first class passengers for deadhead crew

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: bumping first class passengers for deadhead crew

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

Crewbunk wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:35 pm First of all, you were not booked in First Class. Air Canada hasn’t sold a First Class ticket in over 25 years. As well noted above, Captains, First Officers and Augment First Officers are contractually given a Business Class seat when DeadHeading. RPs in Economy, pending space in Business or Premium Economy upon departure.
RPs DH in economy? wtf?
---------- ADS -----------

iflygirl_92
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iflygirl_92 »

Crewbunk wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:35 pm First of all, you were not booked in First Class. Air Canada hasn’t sold a First Class ticket in over 25 years. As well noted above, Captains, First Officers and Augment First Officers are contractually given a Business Class seat when DeadHeading. RPs in Economy, pending space in Business or Premium Economy upon departure.

Pairings are built 4 to 10 weeks in advance. If a pairing includes a DeadHead the seat is removed from inventory at that time. Never in my 30 odd years of overseeing Pairing Generation have I ever encountered an occasion where that far in advance, Business Class was full.

Understand, there are two levels of Business fares. The lower level is sometimes booked, but the higher flexible fare is always open that far in advance.

Air Canada never overbooks Business Class or Premium Economy. The only time there may be more J passengers than seats, is due to an equipment change. (The 28 seat J cabin substituting for 40 seat J cabin on the 777, or a 20 seat 787-8 for a 30 seat 787-9). However it is extremely unlikely that the DeadHeading pilots weren’t among the first booked.

The only occasion, therefore where a pilot may “bump” a J passenger is a last minute pairing change due to an irrop. Crew Scheduling though, will do everything in their power to not let that happen. Offering a cash payment to sit in Y or go the next day, supplying hotels and meals. But, bottom line is that on a flight of over 4 hours, like yours from the Caribbean, that pilot is entitled to that seat.

As noted on another thread, apparently we are the “lowest paid pilots on the earth”, we are not giving up another contractually granted “payment”.
I love all these assumptions yeah, maybe it wasn't a first class ticket sold but it was definitely a business class ticket
That's OK keep speculating, digging your own graves.
You look like a bunch of pathetic whiny, fucking bitches

dhc2pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dhc2pilot »

iflygirl_92 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:09 am

Pairings are built 4 to 10 weeks in advance. If a pairing includes a DeadHead the seat is removed from inventory at that time. Never in my 30 odd years of overseeing Pairing Generation have I ever encountered an occasion where that far in advance, Business Class was full.

Understand, there are two levels of Business fares. The lower level is sometimes booked, but the higher flexible fare is always open that far in advance.

Air Canada never overbooks Business Class or Premium Economy. The only time there may be more J passengers than seats, is due to an equipment change. (The 28 seat J cabin substituting for 40 seat J cabin on the 777, or a 20 seat 787-8 for a 30 seat 787-9). However it is extremely unlikely that the DeadHeading pilots weren’t among the first booked.

The only occasion, therefore where a pilot may “bump” a J passenger is a last minute pairing change due to an irrop. Crew Scheduling though, will do everything in their power to not let that happen. Offering a cash payment to sit in Y or go the next day, supplying hotels and meals. But, bottom line is that on a flight of over 4 hours, like yours from the Caribbean, that pilot is entitled to that seat.

As noted on another thread, apparently we are the “lowest paid pilots on the earth”, we are not giving up another contractually granted “payment”.
I love all these assumptions yeah, maybe it wasn't a first class ticket sold but it was definitely a business class ticket
Sounds like someone has their knickers in a knot. The sad thing is we have to fly people like you around. You belong on a bus.

canadianpilot101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by canadianpilot101 »

dhc2pilot wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:03 am
iflygirl_92 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:09 am

Sounds like someone has their knickers in a knot. The sad thing is we have to fly people like you around. You belong on a bus.
let them walk lmao, take an e-scooter

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

iflygirl_92 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:09 amI love all these assumptions yeah, maybe it wasn't a first class ticket sold but it was definitely a business class ticket
No assumptions/speculations. Just hard fact. Give me flight numbers/dates, I can tell you exactly what happened.

And ….. we are not the ones whining.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Joe Blow Schmo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:43 pm
RPs DH in economy? wtf?
Oh, you’re preaching to the choir!

F/A’s DH in Y too. But on a lower priority than the RP. It is often a cause of angst, (to them) that a new hire RP is placed in J before some veteran F/A. But in reality, it’s all done according to their respective Collective Agreements.

If the F/As truly thought sitting in J was so important, they’d negotiate it.

iflygirl_92
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iflygirl_92 »

I love that everybody thinks I don’t know what I’m talking about. I know anything speculation underestimating me if amazing keep it up. i’ve been flying since 92 15000 hours later i see a change in the pilots, all entitled little bitches we were never like that
dude, I’m a captain too so don’t even think I don’t know what I’m talking about

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Joe Blow Schmo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:43 pm
RPs DH in economy? wtf?
RPs are treated like second class citizens by both the company and the Union. They are listed for a j-class upgrade but if it's full they're in steerage.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

iflygirl_92 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:57 am I love that everybody thinks I don’t know what I’m talking about. I know anything speculation underestimating me if amazing keep it up. i’ve been flying since 92 15000 hours later i see a change in the pilots, all entitled little bitches we were never like that
dude, I’m a captain too so don’t even think I don’t know what I’m talking about
You must definitely be fun to fly with… Please tell us more about how pilots nowadays are “bitches”. All I hear is a grumpy old pilot upset because he got bumped from business by the company because they couldn’t plan things properly. That “Junior” FO… that bumped you is most likely doing his 10th+ deadhead of the month because of poor planning and I sure hope he got business class.
This is 100% the companies doing and your little tantrum is going nowhere because you’re “bitching” to the wrong group. If you want pilots to suck it up and help out they will gladly do so once they get an industry standard contract. Going above and beyond works when you are being treated right. Remember, take care of your people and they will take care of the business… Until that is done, you’ll be sent at the back because pilots will take full privilege offered in their contract because trust me the company is using ALL the loopholes possible to @#$! pilots around.

iflygirl_92
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iflygirl_92 »

It’s pathetic to bump a paying passenger for a pilot to sit in J

you should be ashamed of yourself you take away an experience from a PAYING passenger like that
PATHETIC

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

iflygirl_92 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:57 am i’ve been flying since 92
From the sounds of it menopause isn’t treating you well

iflygirl_92
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iflygirl_92 »

how do you even know I’m a girl I could be fucking pulling your leg as a guy that’s such a misogynistic comments you’re a little piece of shit

Canpilot7
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canpilot7 »

Think a troll is getting fed here folks. Rule #1: never pay the toll

TheAlcalde
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheAlcalde »

But she said she is a captain! :prayer:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Back of the bus, LOSER!

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

This thread is very entertaining.

One person going off on a psychotic tangent, ranting and raving. The rest of us calmly amused trying to explain what was claimed to have happened, could have. An otherwise boring Tuesday morning.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Regardless of the (lack of) tact, she does have a point that the optics are terrible if you bump a paying passenger from a flight in order to accommodate an employee. There might be a vital reason why that employee is put on the plane, but that's not the paying passenger's problem. The optics are still not good if that's what happened.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

digits_ wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:25 am Regardless of the (lack of) tact, she does have a point that the optics are terrible if you bump a paying passenger from a flight in order to accommodate an employee. There might be a vital reason why that employee is put on the plane, but that's not the paying passenger's problem. The optics are still not good if that's what happened.
Well that’s the company’s issue to solve not the individual pilot.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
iflygirl_92
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iflygirl_92 »

A true professional will allow the passenger to hold his J class sheet and take hie seat in the back you guys fly all the time a paying pastor who reserved J in advance is may be traveling to three times a year max and does it for the experience and you’re mocking that person you guys really are shameful on it allowed that passenger to stay in J class and you go sit in the back

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

What would you know about professionalism?

Return to “Air Canada”