Air Canada Maintenance Interview

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fnguyen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada Maintenance Interview

Post by fnguyen »

Hey all,

I recently applied to Air Canada and was able to land a virtual interview later this month for an AME position at YYZ. However, I am still finishing up my program (will be done in April) so this will be an apprenticeship opportunity. I was wondering if anybody knows the hiring process for AMEs at Big Red and how long the process took. This will be my first interview for an AME position, so I'm not sure what to expect. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada Maintenance Interview

Post by -42 »

Welcome to graveyards…..forever.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I wasn't going to chime in but after seeing -42 post here goes. What you'll be doing for the first 10 years any kid off the street can do. You will never get to take the machine out and run it up after fixing the snag. Night shift for ever is probably correct. I can never understand why anyone would want to work for an airline,

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Welcome to graveyards…..forever.

100% this, and before you get dismissive, because you're probably over the moon because Big Red has shown interest, have a read about night shift health effects...

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Wha ... hifts.aspx

That being said, I wouldnt be able to recommend anybody go the large airline route. I actually cant think of any route in cdn aviation that's highly desirable, for many reasons.

But I digress. The fondling of aircraft , probably the bigger the better, is most likely what's driving you.

Kinda like titties, if one is into that sort of thing anymore...

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I got a letter from AC one time to go for a job interview. Room full of us showed up then someone came in and said its for the upholstery shop. Someone asked if there was any chance of transfering to the floor or engine shop etc, the answer was after anyone with seniority bid, otherwise never. I got up and walked out, no one else did.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

They are hiring a lot of people these days and most of the interview questions will be very generic HR stuff. There will probably be a question or two to see what you know about the company, a few questions about how you deal with conflict, how you deal with making mistakes, how you respond when there is a safety issue etc. They generally like to hear that you are very excited about the company, and know a little about what aircraft are in the fleet. They will also like to hear that you always follow the rules, always go to a supervisor when there is a safety concern, and get along very well with coworkers.

If you get hired you will working in the hangar as an apprentice on various checks until licensed when you will probably get a course very quickly and have more choice. Shifts are all seniority so the sooner you start the sooner you have a chance at better shifts. The pay scales are all fixed as per the union contract and you are looking at a 10 year climb to top rate once licensed unless you are able to get in on a higher scale initially and it's worth asking for but unlikely since you have no experience currently.

They prefer to hired licensed people but are getting pretty desperate lately so that might work in your favour. There is a good chance though that they might offer you a trim and fit (furnishings or cabin work) position though instead. If you take that you'll probably have some opportunity to volunteer to help with other stuff and get actual experience and logbook entries but if that doesn't happen then move on before you get stuck in a position that is always lower paying because it doesn't require a license. It is a way in though, and will allow you to apply for internal postings in the future ahead of outside candidates if actual apprentice positions open up.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

YYCAME wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:48 pm
They prefer to hired licensed people but are getting pretty desperate lately so that might work in your favour. There is a good chance though that they might offer you a trim and fit (furnishings or cabin work) position though instead. If you take that you'll probably have some opportunity to volunteer to help with other stuff and get actual experience and logbook entries but if that doesn't happen then move on before you get stuck in a position that is always lower paying because it doesn't require a license. It is a way in though, and will allow you to apply for internal postings in the future
What exactly are you suggesting when you propose "volunteering"?

That term is universally associated with an individual donating their time and working for free. Is that what you're promoting?

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Hey Pat,

By volunteering I mean that in a unionized environment there are often assigned tasks for the shift, and those can sometimes be competed very quickly leaving a lot of extra time where you have no responsibilities. Some people prefer to chat, play on their phone, etc but if someone was motivated they could offer to help with a job outside the normal scope of their work in order to learn something and get logbook entries. You don't have to volunteer to do more than you are required but I certainly would to make sure I don't get stuck in a lower paying and less secure job position for the rest of my life. So yes, by volunteering they are donating what otherwise be paid leisure time at work. I'm not saying it is a great option but I'm making the OP aware of a choice they might be given and how to evaluate such an offer. It's not a great way to get a well rounded apprenticeship experience but if you were planning on an airline career anyhow you'll be fine. It's probably better than getting stuck pulling panels at an MRO though, so I guess there is that.

In the last 6 years AC has replaced apprentices with a co-op program via the schools as a path to getting experience and licensed but personally I think it a mistake for the union to participate because essentially it gave away all the labour protections, seniority benefits that apprentices would get. Each work semester they are 'hired' again and at the end of the multi year program they still have to apply for a job position which means that even though in theory they have labour rights you would be stupid to ever file a complaint because they would just refuse to hire you down the road.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

So if you get a job card to change a tire or being an appy to help change a tire. You book out the tire assy the tools to do the job set up your warning pylons etc and use up 4 hrs of a 12 hr shift. Then you sit around with your finger up your butt for the remainder of the shift. And seeing how you did such a bang up job you're the expert and will get this job assigned to a lot in the future. Welcome to the airlines.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

This job sounds so fulfilling. Definitely worth 4 years and graveyards.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

Yeah there are some people that can take all night on a tire change or gear lube and then just disappear. They also tend to be given the more mindless jobs because there is less they can screw up. In my experience though if you are interested in troubleshooting/ground runs etc and show some motivation then you can work your way into doing more of those jobs. Just depends what you want out of the job and I'm fine with people choosing either.

I have seen where people get pigeon holed into a certain job though, and sometimes the best defence is to learn the job and all the rules so well that you can make it take longer than everyone else because you actually follow all the procedures and safety rules. You'll also learn to spot smaller defects for stuff others might ignore which means you can generate a lot more paperwork. Then you get moved to another job because your doing it too well :)

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

It’s a dead end job these days in the airlines.

ludivicchua
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ludivicchua »

Usually in the airlines, as much as possible, they will only hire licensed people because it's a fast-paced business and environment. Now they are hiring a lot of Apprentices in batches. Remember 10 years ago, a job opening for such a position happens once in a blue moon with very selective hiring process. It tells you how desperate they are now! Who will work for the airlines? The pressure is in there, the demanding work is in there, the difficult work is in there!

I'm no longer gonna do this job! It's not worth it! This is their solution, to hire new people and pay them to work for this pathetic of a wage lol! Good luck and I hope you last, because many of us didn't! You are gonna get fed up and they are just gonna move on to the next generation of naive Apprentices!

Return to “Maintenance”