Reserve for New Hires

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BaaBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reserve for New Hires

Post by BaaBoo »

Understanding the long period on reserve post hiring, and the new full block reserve, I was wondering if anyone can provide insight as to:

-what are reserve call out times? Is it all short call?
-how many flying hours the average cojo is picking up while on reserve?
-is it possible to bid on open trips while on reserve or is it more of a twiddle your thumbs and hope for a phone call (or not) ?
-for the commuters, what’s the max amount of consecutive days you can be on reserve? Is it an option to try to group these together?
-any other info you think would be helpful?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Aviator12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Reserve for New Hires

Post by Aviator12 »

Bottom 10% eligible for short call reserve- 2 hours to report
Bottom 20% eligible for long call reserve-12 hours to report
Short call A (0400-1600) and B (1300-0100) can bid what you want.
Can be scheduled 2-5 day blocks, 18 days/month
You can call in and try to pick up open time but reserve is the last on the list to get flying assignments. I’ve heard of guys doing this successfully but I didn’t bother. They like to save short call reserve for last minute sick or commuting issues etc.

I started last fall based in YYZ. 2 months of training, 1 month of line indoc and 3 months of reserve. First couple months were mixed line and reserve. Last month was all 5 day reserve blocks. I got called out on all except 2 blocks. I skipped LCR and now have full regular line flying. I’m guessing they are short fo’s. Because of the new reserve system senior pilots can bid it now.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Reserve for New Hires

Post by averageatbest »

Aviator12 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:56 pmI’m guessing they are short fo’s. Because of the new reserve system senior pilots can bid it now.
Might that have anything to do with their inability to fill ground school classes?

Return to “WestJet”