Smaller Westjet vs Pay Pilots

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Smaller Westjet vs Pay Pilots

Post by truedude »

Well there you go Canadian aviation. You heard it from the top dog at Westjet himself that he would rather see Westjet smaller, than pay pilots more money...

Lets show him how small Westjet can get!
---------- ADS -----------

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Smaller Westjet vs Pay Pilots

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

"We'd rather fly less planes than pay more money to the pilots".

Well that's just great, just think how much money they'll be saving on Victoria Day when no planes are flying!

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

"It's not as attractive as it used to be to become a pilot." - Michael Rodyniuk, president and chief executive officer of Canadian North

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/airlines- ... -1.6300374

truecolours
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by truecolours »

I am hoping this was all just a Duolingo translation error for our esl executive team but probably not. Bring on the smaller airline. Anyone reminded of the we won’t get more wide bodies fit back in the day? I think someone might still be pulling strings around here.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Isn't arbitration and the potential for a strike vote coming up? Jees.

Last edited by DanWEC on Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:21 pm Sounds like strike ammunition to me.
Unfortunately not all of us are in a position to strike.

We will however be on the picket lines with you in person.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Yup,

He is going to shrink revenue. Shrink market share. Shrink the WJ valuation. Just so he doesn’t have to pay pilots. :lol:

You guys must be in negotiations or something

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

Sooooooooo what’s the upgrade time now? 15 years?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

pacman007 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:36 pm Sooooooooo what’s the upgrade time now? 15 years?
What upgrade?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

honestly incredible, i dont know much about business but wow. the fact they would rather harm their own bsuiness than give their employees proper compensation is insane to me.

Is it greed, hate, or something else?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:50 pm honestly incredible, i dont know much about business but wow. the fact they would rather harm their own bsuiness than give their employees proper compensation is insane to me.

Sounds like a boss who -considering himself to be benevolent- realizes his underlings aren't happy with whatever he so generously gifted them. He took personal offence, and is out for blood. This will turn ugly. Very hard to find some compromise or common ground at this point.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:50 pm honestly incredible, i dont know much about business but wow. the fact they would rather harm their own bsuiness than give their employees proper compensation is insane to me.

It’s something else. Negotiations mind games.

Create fear of pushing for higher wages.

Trying to make people think. What’s the point of a raise if I get downgraded? What’s the point of a raise if it puts my upgrade years away?

It is all deliberately manufactured fear. Worse it is so badly done that it doesn’t have even a bit of credibility.

I assume the WJ pilots are in the beginning stages or about to start conciliation

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Fanblade is likely 100% correct. It's utterly textbook and predictable.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Fanblade wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:07 pm I assume the WJ pilots are in the beginning stages or about to start conciliation
Conciliation runs until April 23.

Then the 21 day cooling off period.

Strike would be legal in the days leading up to the May 24 weekend.

Mac08
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mac08 »

I feel like you should strike just to show how stupid it sounds and give him what he wants. A very small 1 or 2 flight a day operation.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Without a doubt, things will get uglier and more aggressive from management before they get better.

I really hope WestJet pilots hold their ground and don’t cave in! There are A LOT of pilots in this country that are closely watching and 1000% support you guys fighting for what you’re owed!

Stand firm

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

West jet pilots have the opportunity to set the wages for all pilots for the next 10 years. All of canadian aviation is watching. Pilots and management of other companies. Show them what we are worth.

MaxAuto
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MaxAuto »

Tells the media we are expanding and growing to assure the concerned east coast residents, but tells the entire company f**k the pilot group and growth if it means paying you industry standards.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Hard positional negotiations tactics like this come down to courage and determination. The company will hold the line and increase the pressure until pilots start getting very worried a strike is around the corner. Then the union starts getting calls about striking being the right decision, are we really going to get a better deal, what's on the table right now...

Worse is when the negotiations team and the MEC start having a chink in their armour and if the company sees all of this they keep increasing the pressure by holding the line. They hope the union caves and gives up, that they accept a subpar deal because they can't take it anymore.

It's a real mind f*ck and it's very stressful both for the MEC, negotiations team and members. I've been there at the table stuck between management and membership and it's not fun. Don't give up wether you're a member or on the bargaining team and MEC. Once yo have that strike mandate keep going, you passed V1 and you're committed. The pressure will be going up on the management side too, some lawyer that has been pushing for this hard line of bargaining tactics will say he's been there before, that unions break and pilots don't strike. Keep going, you want them to feel like you do by increasing the pressure. It's a game of chicken and someone will flinch, don't.

It's gut check time at Westjet and we're all behind you

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

I am tired. Tired of being bullied, lied to and threatened.

Time to break out the flame thrower and burn it to the ground. The jobs (and passengers) will go somewhere else, and so will we.

I wonder how it looks on your CEO resume when you move to another country to kill a $1.5+ billion a year company just to make a point? I honestly don't know because it seems that once you reach a certain level in life, there are no consequences for your actions, and no laws that apply to you.

Return to “WestJet”