ground schools canceled

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: ground schools canceled

Post by braaap Braap »

Aviatard wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:02 pm
Oleo 4 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:26 am
The last thing the pilots of WestJet need is a surplus of available 705 pilots on the market.

[…]

Competition is what makes all of us better
These statements contradict each other.

No they dont. Supply and demand rules. More competition = higher demand and lower available supply = higher wage pressure. Less competition = lower demand and higher available supply = decreased pressure on wages.

Its contradictory if both statements were referring to the same type of competition.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Mr.Alberta wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:55 pm
So Tbaylx, Are you suggesting these 4 people did not get hired by Lynx? Or did they lie about their qualifications and work history? What part is untrue about that statement? Pretty sure there are indeed more people than you care to admit jumping ship maybe?
What does it even matter? Even with the repo man saga, Flair has lost 4 Captains in 4 months this year, meanwhile WestJet is losing a pilot every 18 hours! that means since you wrote this post and I replied to it, 19 WestJet pilots have quit. And in that same time, nobody has given up on flair. To me that speaks volumes about the confidence F8 drivers have in our company even after getting kicked in the nuts.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

co-joe wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:16 am
So Tbaylx, Are you suggesting these 4 people did not get hired by Lynx? Or did they lie about their qualifications and work history? What part is untrue about that statement? Pretty sure there are indeed more people than you care to admit jumping ship maybe?
What does it even matter? Even with the repo man saga, Flair has lost 4 Captains in 4 months this year, meanwhile WestJet is losing a pilot every 18 hours! that means since you wrote this post and I replied to it, 19 WestJet pilots have quit. And in that same time, nobody has given up on flair. To me that speaks volumes about the confidence F8 drivers have in our company even after getting kicked in the nuts.
In all fairness, Westjet isn't losing highly experienced captains, except the 10 that were fired 16 months ago (but that's an entirely different discussion.)

Westjet's battle is recruiting and retaining the next generation of pilots. A battle that AC is winning; when WJ loses a young recruit to AC, they're lost forever. Losing a new FO recruit to Flair is temporary.

IMHO, you'll see more Flair FOs move to WJ should ALPA make considerable gains in the CA. Especially in the YEG and YYC base, as many young FOs desire what a large carrier has to offer, and prefer a western base. A lot hinges on the WJ contract and it's too soon to call.

However, I do agree; the atmosphere at Flair is very positive. Despite the recent nut punch, there's still a high level of excitement, energy, and ambition for the future. It's nice.

Last edited by J Roc on Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilotguy53
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy53 »

pilotguy53 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:52 am
tbaylx wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:35 am
pilotguy53 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:45 am Does anyone have any updates on this one? Are we still looking at likely a 2024 resumption for ground school starts? TIA.
We are tentatively planning a May 23rd ground school to cover an increase in block hours per aircraft. Primarily YEG openings.
Thanks for the speedy reply!
Have calls already gone out for the May 23rd GS? TIA.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

pilotguy53 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:39 pm
tbaylx wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:35 am

We are tentatively planning a May 23rd ground school to cover an increase in block hours per aircraft. Primarily YEG openings.
Not yet, we're still discussing the class size and the course is still tentative. We haven't seen any significant level of resignations yet this spring. I suspect we'll lose some pilots to AC this summer so we'll be running a summer course at some point.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

J Roc wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:11 am
In all fairness, Westjet isn't losing highly experienced captains, except the 10 that were fired 16 months ago (but that's an entirely different discussion.)

Westjet's battle is recruiting and retaining the next generation of pilots. A battle that AC is winning; when WJ loses a young recruit to AC, they're lost forever. Losing a new FO recruit to Flair is temporary.

IMHO, you'll see more Flair FOs move to WJ should ALPA make considerable gains in the CA. Especially in the YEG and YYC base, as many young FOs desire what a large carrier has to offer, and prefer a western base. A lot hinges on the WJ contract and it's too soon to call.

However, I do agree; the atmosphere at Flair is very positive. Despite the recent nut punch, there's still a high level of excitement, energy, and ambition for the future. It's nice.
Disagree. 10-12+ years to upgrade? In this environment, not many want to wait that long in the right seat. If they are going to leave to go anywhere, it's most likely going to be Air Canada. Also Flair has 4 western bases. WJ has 2 (3 if you include Swoop).

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

flying4dollars wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:45 pm

Disagree. 10-12+ years to upgrade? In this environment, not many want to wait that long in the right seat. If they are going to leave to go anywhere, it's most likely going to be Air Canada. Also Flair has 4 western bases. WJ has 2 (3 if you include Swoop).
WestJet has 3 bases in the west.
YVR, YYC & YEG.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

That's why I said, "A lot hinges on the new WJ CA." If ALPA can secure a contract competitive to AC, then I think you'll see more Flair FOs make the move to WJ. However, that's just my opinion.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

Airbrake wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:45 am

Disagree. 10-12+ years to upgrade? In this environment, not many want to wait that long in the right seat. If they are going to leave to go anywhere, it's most likely going to be Air Canada. Also, Flair has 4 western bases. WJ has 2 (3 if you include Swoop).
YVR, YYC & YEG.
I'm aware. I only mentioned YEG and YYC as AC doesn't have a YEG or YYC base. I was referring to Flair FOs living in the YEG/YYC bases looking for a career move to a large carrier, who don't want to commute for AC. As I said, I could be wrong, but if WJ ALPA can secure large gains in their CA, Flair may lose FOs from those bases.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

J Roc wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:55 pm

Disagree. 10-12+ years to upgrade? In this environment, not many want to wait that long in the right seat. If they are going to leave to go anywhere, it's most likely going to be Air Canada. Also, Flair has 4 western bases. WJ has 2 (3 if you include Swoop).
YVR, YYC & YEG.
I'm aware. I only mentioned YEG and YYC as AC doesn't have a YEG or YYC base. I was referring to Flair FOs living in the YEG/YYC bases looking for a career move to a large carrier, who don't want to commute for AC. As I said, I could be wrong, but if WJ ALPA can secure large gains in their CA, Flair may lose FOs from those bases.
Fair enough. I certainly hope WJ gets the gains they want for both CA and FO's but I still don't see Flair FO's sliding over to WJ except maybe the really low time FO's but I could of course be wrong.

HKPILOT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HKPILOT »

tbaylx wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:04 pm
pilotguy53 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:39 pm

Not yet, we're still discussing the class size and the course is still tentative. We haven't seen any significant level of resignations yet this spring. I suspect we'll lose some pilots to AC this summer so we'll be running a summer course at some point.
Any updates for the May 23 class? How many hires? Any invites?

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

flying4dollars wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:50 am
J Roc wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:55 pm

YVR, YYC & YEG.
Fair enough. I certainly hope WJ gets the gains they want for both CA and FO's but I still don't see Flair FO's sliding over to WJ except maybe the really low time FO's but I could of course be wrong.
You may be right. The last few FOs I've flown with enjoy the job at Flair and have no desire to move, and in no way do I encourage FOs to leave. Quite the opposite actually; I think there are great benefits to being at Flair, and the working relationship with the company and management is far superior to what the large carriers have to offer. I suppose it depends on what you value, and there's a lot of value in what Flair has to offer.

That being said, I also hope WJ ALPA can make large gains. I wish my ex-colleagues the very best. I pray they don't get Kaplan'd this time around.

MAX8 Driver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MAX8 Driver »

J Roc wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:23 pmI think there are great benefits to being at Flair, and the working relationship with the company and management is far superior to what the large carriers have to offer. I suppose it depends on what you value, and there's a lot of value in what Flair has to offer.
What are the great benefits? Where is there lots of value in what Flair has to offer?

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

"I suppose it depends on what you value." lol

Some guys appreciate a positive working relationship with their management team. Maybe it's being home more. Maybe it's fast upgrades. As I said, it depends, but it's also not for everyone. So, thankfully, for those who want something a little different, AC and WJ are hiring....A LOT. What a wonderful time to be alive, amirite?

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

MAX8 Driver wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:51 pm
J Roc wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:23 pmI think there are great benefits to being at Flair, and the working relationship with the company and management is far superior to what the large carriers have to offer. I suppose it depends on what you value, and there's a lot of value in what Flair has to offer.
What are the great benefits? Where is there lots of value in what Flair has to offer?
One of the highest starting FO wages, lots of single day pairings, lots of bases.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Aren't you a Flair pilot?

MAX8 Driver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MAX8 Driver »

flying4dollars wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:24 pm
Aren't you a Flair pilot?
Yes. I know what Flair has to offer, and why I personally value working for the company. I'm interested to hear other opinions.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

All this sounds like all that Teal-aid that was said back in the day about WestJet... look how that turned out.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

QKZXKV wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:53 am All this sounds like all that Teal-aid that was said back in the day about WestJet... look how that turned out.
And? Would you go to the employer that for sure will treat you shit or the one that might in a decade after you’re already on CA pay?

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:59 am
QKZXKV wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:53 am All this sounds like all that Teal-aid that was said back in the day about WestJet... look how that turned out.
And? Would you go to the employer that for sure will treat you shit or the one that might in a decade after you’re already on CA pay?
In my experience, the employer will ALWAYS treat you that way. It's subtle to start with and then eventually it just boils over and is out in the open.

All I'm saying is, don't get to cheerleader like, it's bound to be a letdown in the future... welcome to Canada!

Return to “Flair Airlines”