Search for accidents/incidents

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 3
Rank 3

Search for accidents/incidents

Post by Loading... »

Are you able to search (like how potential employers can) for accidents/incidents for a specific pilot license number? I do applicant screening and just curious if I can do this? (With the applicamts consent).
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Search for accidents/incidents

Post by 7ECA »

Isn't being able to search the "blacklist" for pilots enough?

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

7ECA wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:38 pm Isn't being able to search the "blacklist" for pilots enough?
Where do I do this?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Loading... wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:34 pm Are you able to search (like how potential employers can) for accidents/incidents for a specific pilot license number? I do applicant screening and just curious if I can do this? (With the applicamts consent).
Thanks
Where/how would an employer do this?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Don’t lie to a potential employer and just tell them how you learnt from your mistake

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

digits_ wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:11 pm
Loading... wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:34 pm Are you able to search (like how potential employers can) for accidents/incidents for a specific pilot license number? I do applicant screening and just curious if I can do this? (With the applicamts consent).
Thanks
When you apply

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Loading... wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:34 pm Are you able to search (like how potential employers can) for accidents/incidents for a specific pilot license number?
What makes you think that employers can do this?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The important part of the OP was this:
With the applicamts consent).
Anybody can do this. Have the applicant sign a A2I request for all records that you want, data to be sent to you - and submit it with the appropriate fee, to TC. But it has to be the applicant's request, you can't do anything without consent.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

I worked for the TSB for 20 years. It does not release any personal information to third parties without the individual's written consent.

Pilot licence number is one data field in every occurrence record in the TSB aviation database. It is a non-mandatory item, meaning the occurrence record can be saved without it. Sometimes the pilot does not have a licence. Sometimes a licence number is not available, as in the case of a foreign operator.

One other place where licence numbers are associated with accidents is the TC medical examination form. Since TC would not provide medical records to the TSB unless we had a medical consultant (usually a TC approved CAME), they will likely refuse to provide any medical information to an operator.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Loading... wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 am
digits_ wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:11 pm
Thanks
When you apply
That's absurd. That would run afoul of the Privacy Act and PIPEDA.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:32 pm That's absurd. That would run afoul of the Privacy Act and PIPEDA.
Not when the request is made with the pilot's consent.

(BTW PIPEDA applies to commercial entities only; it doesn't apply to the TSB or Transport Canada.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

photofly wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:59 pm Not when the request is made with the pilot's consent.
Not sure how this would work. A pilot applies for a job and does an ATIP request at the employer's request and then shares the information with the potential employer? I've never heard of such an absurd application process. The OP suggested that companies simply get your accident/incident information when you apply. (He/She said that he would do it only with the applicant's consent.)
photofly wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:59 pm (BTW PIPEDA applies to commercial entities only; it doesn't apply to the TSB or Transport Canada.)
Right. Good catch.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:57 pm
photofly wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:59 pm Not when the request is made with the pilot's consent.
Not sure how this would work. A pilot applies for a job and does an ATIP request at the employer's request and then shares the information with the potential employer? I've never heard of such an absurd application process. The OP suggested that companies simply get your accident/incident information when you apply. (He/She said that he would do it only with the applicant's consent.)
When you apply for a medical, your application authorizes TC to access your medical records from any source. They can't do it without your consent, but if you don't consent they simply wont give you medical certification. It's your call.

It's straightforward for a job application form that you sign to include wording that authorizes TC and the TSB to release to the putative employer records that are able to confirm or counter your assertions of some or no incidents or accidents, and some or no enforcement actions in the last two years. Lying on a job application form is gross misconduct and grounds for dismissal for cause at any future date when the falsehood comes to light. it would make no sense for there to be no mechanism for an employer to verify the information you provide in that respect when vetting your application.

Whether employers do or don't do this, I can't say - but if it's genuinely important to an employer that you have not had any enforcement actions (for insurance reasons, perhaps) or been involved in an accident - then it would be quite negligent of them to rely only your word about it.

The release of information should not be sent to the candidate and then shared with the employer, but sent directly to the employer as an authorized disclosure, to avoid the candidate being able to tamper with it. An employer to whom you deny authorization by refusing to sign the application form would simply discontinue consideration of your application. Thanks, but no thanks, as they say.

Far from working to the detriment of the conscientious pilot, it is actually in their best interest to have an accessible mechanism to permit their clean accident/enforcement records reliably and credibly communicated to a prospective employer to distinguish them from pilots without that clean record.

Return to “General Comments”