Air Canada Pre Employment Medical

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Flaperon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada Pre Employment Medical

Post by Flaperon »

Hi everyone

I'm currently working towards my CPL and likely like many, aspire to end up at Air Canada.

I realize its years away before I have the experience to apply to AC, but one thing I'm worried about is the pre employment medical, particularly regarding the visual acuity requirements. I got my TC CAT 1 with no issues. I have a prescription of -3.75 and I wear contact lenses and probably cant even read the big E on the chart without them. My corrected vision is 13/20 and so I'm not worried about corrected visual acuity.

I know that TCs cutoff in the past was +- 3.00 diopters, even though its not exactly enforced anymore. I'm just worried its something that AC still enforces.

I've heard the AC is pretty strict on their medical. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment in the future and thought that I'd ask here if anyone else has been in a similar boat and still passed the medical and gotten hired into AC or if anyone has been turned away because of it? Did they send you for additional testing or make it harder to get in?

Feel free to DM if you don't want to share publicly.

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

4blue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Canada Pre Employment Medical

Post by 4blue »

I can't speak to Air Canada's requirements, but know that there are thousands of career pilots in Canada earning great wages & supporting families that do not work at Air Canada.

Air Canada can be great, but don't let a fear of not "making it" to Air Canada hold you back from a great career.

Maybe you go work in Sudbury or Thunder Bay or Pickle Lake or Yellowknife or Iqualuit, etc. etc. and never want to leave.

Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Canada Pre Employment Medical

Post by Admiral Benson »

20/20 corrected for each eye individually is Air Canada's requirement at the initial medical. I'm not sure about the uncorrected as that has been relaxed in the past. But your corrected vision has to be 20/20. However these days laser eye surgery is muscular more accepted in the industry. If you have the option to get a procedure done and then use glasses after that to achieve 20/20 that may be a way forward.

AB

Return to “Air Canada”