Commuting expenses and taxes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Commuting expenses and taxes

Post by Dronepiper »

Can you claim commuting on your taxes?
---------- ADS -----------

4blue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Commuting expenses and taxes

Post by 4blue »

No

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Dronepiper wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:55 pm Can you claim commuting on your taxes?
No, maybe if you were a contract pilot through your own corporation, for that I’d check with an accountant.
As for commuting, it’s no different than those that drive three hours to the airport, same thing in CRA’s eyes, be thankful they stopped trying to assign the standby travel as a taxable benefit

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

The way things are set up, no. I think it is possible though, but among other things, your employer has to designate that you work out of you domicile and required to travel to start your pairing. For example, travelling salesmen can claim their travel expenses.

There was a TCC case recently about a rail employee who tried this and it was denied.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Conservatives want to bring in a tax credit to skilled workers who travel by air for their employment. It’s geared toward oil sands workers, but if they get elected and bring that in, you’d have a case to claim your commute. I think pilot would be considered skilled .. some days. Lol.

Return to “General Comments”