First Job with flight attendants and toilets
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
-
Major Bedhead
- Rank 2

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:55 am
First Job with flight attendants and toilets
I'm trying to keep this low key, although I can hardly type.
I have been hired by a company that operates aircraft using the KLN90B GPS.
I am used to the 430 or 530 variants by Garmin.
I will be doing a ride within the week and would like to be as prepared as possible.
Does anyone know where I can find a simulator for this unit that doesn't require Microsoft Flight Sim?
Many many thanks in advance,
P
ps. Because it would be the first question I would pose after reading, I have a whisker over 3000TT, 600 multi, no turbine.
I have been hired by a company that operates aircraft using the KLN90B GPS.
I am used to the 430 or 530 variants by Garmin.
I will be doing a ride within the week and would like to be as prepared as possible.
Does anyone know where I can find a simulator for this unit that doesn't require Microsoft Flight Sim?
Many many thanks in advance,
P
ps. Because it would be the first question I would pose after reading, I have a whisker over 3000TT, 600 multi, no turbine.
-
Wigwam Willie
- Rank 3

- Posts: 111
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:55 am
- Location: Sunny Delta
Congrats on your new job. Remember, don't put anything pointy in either the toilets or flight attendants, unless either one looks at you the wrong way. And yes they are easy to confuse. They work the same way.
the manufacturer website should have some software for you to download.
the manufacturer website should have some software for you to download.
Last edited by Wigwam Willie on Mon May 08, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side.
I currently work with the KLN90B and I don't know any simulator. However the closest GPS with simulator I know of is the KLN89B.
You still have a lot of doc online for the 90 as you have probably noticed...
For a ride purposes, I would focuse on the OBS function and the flight plan which are pretty straightforward. Also the nav 5 page is pretty close to a moving map.
Good luck
You still have a lot of doc online for the 90 as you have probably noticed...
For a ride purposes, I would focuse on the OBS function and the flight plan which are pretty straightforward. Also the nav 5 page is pretty close to a moving map.
Good luck
Can't help with the simulator part, but you should have no trouble if you spend just a few minutes playing around with it in the airplane. I, too, was used to the 430/530 when I was put on aircraft with the KLN89/90 series and it was pretty easy to figure out.
Congrats on the new job, by the way!
Congrats on the new job, by the way!
dont know of a sim for the unit. There is a practice function on the box if you can put on external power. Alternatively you can pull the unit out and power it up on a bench and play with it, thats what our company did.
anyways, its easy and user friendly when you learn how to navigate it. Just remember that the outter knob changes chapters, inner knob pages within the chapters. Read the manual young man!
anyways, its easy and user friendly when you learn how to navigate it. Just remember that the outter knob changes chapters, inner knob pages within the chapters. Read the manual young man!
I also used the instructional video, for both the 89 and 90. Very straight forward once you get the pages figured out. Congrats.
Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
You must be speaking in analogies Willie, do you mean a flight attendant can suck money out of a big time airline pilot as fast as the pottie sucks nastys down the drain?Wigwam Willie wrote:Congrats on your new job. Remember, don't put anything pointy in either the toilets or flight attendants, unless either one looks at you the wrong way. And yes they are easy to confuse. They work the same way.
Also went from the 430 to the 90B. Very capable with a few less features and toys like giving you the name of the lake you are flying over!
If you can get your hands on the video or the 89B CD they certainly help, sorry i can't help there. As mentioned to get through the ride, Big knob for chapters, small for pages and the knobs pull out for the extra airport info etc.
FPL page you can just enter your destination(s) into flight plan 0 and rotate to nav page and it's good to go, although if you have the time you can load and store like the 430. We use nav page 5 on the left and right sides.
Feel free to pm for any more questions and good luck.
If you can get your hands on the video or the 89B CD they certainly help, sorry i can't help there. As mentioned to get through the ride, Big knob for chapters, small for pages and the knobs pull out for the extra airport info etc.
FPL page you can just enter your destination(s) into flight plan 0 and rotate to nav page and it's good to go, although if you have the time you can load and store like the 430. We use nav page 5 on the left and right sides.
Feel free to pm for any more questions and good luck.
What they said...I came from the 430's and 530's also. Just keep in mind that with the KLN's you get all the same information, and they do the same functions, but YOU have to go through the machine with the knobs to get it done.
Big Knobs = Chapters; Small Knobs=pages was the best explanation that someone previous to me gave.
Big Knobs = Chapters; Small Knobs=pages was the best explanation that someone previous to me gave.
Ironically, I just loaned my copy of the manual for the KLN90B to a friend of mine who's heading out to do his PPC renewal.
I really got to hate the 90B when I first used it. It wasn't nearly as "user-friendly" as the 400 and 500 series of Garmins. Once I managed to figure out (mostly by accident) how to initialize the way I wanted it set up, life got a whole bunch easier.
There's a quick reference sheet that comes with the manual. I found this to be worth it's weight in gold. It really got rid of a lot of the extraneous stuff for all the "techno-geeks" and explained it to the rest of us without a PhD in rocket science. I think I still have a copy of it around.
PM me if you would like me to scan it and e-mail it to you.
Cheers
I really got to hate the 90B when I first used it. It wasn't nearly as "user-friendly" as the 400 and 500 series of Garmins. Once I managed to figure out (mostly by accident) how to initialize the way I wanted it set up, life got a whole bunch easier.
There's a quick reference sheet that comes with the manual. I found this to be worth it's weight in gold. It really got rid of a lot of the extraneous stuff for all the "techno-geeks" and explained it to the rest of us without a PhD in rocket science. I think I still have a copy of it around.
PM me if you would like me to scan it and e-mail it to you.
Cheers






