Commercial Written test

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

anotheremptykitchen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commercial Written test

Post by anotheremptykitchen »

Hi all,

I've recently done my commercial written so I thought I'd share the questions I could remember.
I wrote CPAER 021 06
This one is the Moncton trip. I believe there are two other exams: one with a BC trip and the other a Thunder Bay trip.

- VOR and ADF intercepts
- decode a NOTAM, METAR, TAF, and PIREP (obviously)
- describe the definition of a dead reckoning "air position"
- what information can a civil aircraft receive from a TACAN
- where can you do an approach and landing
- altimeter setting region vs. standard pressure region
- commercial air service recency
- night VFR fuel requirement
- visibility and distance from cloud along an airway
- difference between a GPS groundspeed and DME
- what is the purpose of high octane fuel
- four stroke diesel engines and glow plugs
- what affects night vision (this had a list and you had to choose from A,B,C,D,E... etc. which ones were applicable)
- NDB coastal effect

This is all I can remember but hope it helps!
---------- ADS -----------

josejimenes33
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Commercial Written test

Post by josejimenes33 »

Appreciate the feedback.
If anyone else has some, send it!
Fly safe.

bluesideup111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bluesideup111 »

Hey all,

Does anyone have any other version of material they’ve encountered, anxious to write the cpaer mate of mine had the exact same 021 V anything helps please thanks. Also If you fail the partial exam are you required to then rewrite the whole exam I can’t seem to find a definite answer appreciate it aviators.

Last edited by bluesideup111 on Thu May 25, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

bluesideup111 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:17 pm Hey all,

Does anyone have any other version of material they’ve encountered, anxious to write the cpaer mate of mine had the exact same 021 V anything helps please thanks. Also If you fail the partial exam are you required to then rewrite the whole exam I can’t seem to find a definite answer appreciate it aviators.
I'd recommend doing Harv's pilottraining.ca online ground school. The practice exams there are more difficult than the actual exam, so if you're getting good marks on the practice ones there's nothing to worry about.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

CpnCrunch wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:37 am

I'd recommend doing Harv's pilottraining.ca online ground school. The practice exams there are more difficult than the actual exam, so if you're getting good marks on the practice ones there's nothing to worry about.
+1 Harv’s

anotheremptykitchen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anotheremptykitchen »

If you partial one part of the exam (MET, NAV, GEN, or LAW)...as in get less than 60% on that section, you will only have to retake the section you failed.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

Edit**

I searched this a bit. The only references I can see to rewriting a test say that the subject failed must be rewritten and it gives mandatory wait times. It doesnt say anything about a limit of partials or specifics about failing a partial the way it does in the flight test guide.

So... it doesnt look like it. I have someone going for a partial this week. If he fails, I'll let know.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

If you fail a partial exam you aren’t required to redo the entire exam. You can just rewrite the partial section again. There is no limit on the number of attempts.

There will be implications for licensing since the 24 month clock for exam validity starts running from the first attempt. There will also be additional waiting time between attempts. A second failure would require a 30 day wait period.

References: CARS 400.03 and 400.04

glenomatic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by glenomatic »

I wrote Cpaer 023 03 a few years ago and passed.

I thought I knew the life preservers requirements cold but I still messed it up by not reading the question correctly! As you know from previous TC exams, slow down and make sure you understand exactly what is being asked. I also messed up a weight shift problem by not reading the question correctly.

For the US chart make sure you look at the chart legend, iirc it was very helpful.

Return to “Flight Training”