Aircraft QoL

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 5
Rank 5

Aircraft QoL

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

With the hope that I get a job offer, I am trying to figure out how to order my bid for aircraft. As I do not have any jet time, I am aware that I will be assigned to a narrow body.

My priorities are:
  1. Shorter pairings. Home more often.
  2. Pay (after flat pay)
  3. Airbus over Boeing
  4. Upgrade time
I would be fine sitting right seat for fifteen years if I could afford it and it would guarantee that I have the lifestyle I want (watching my kids grow up). Metal preference is just that, but I am getting tired of having a control column in front of me that I use for 15 minutes out of my 12 hour day.

Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated. I have been looking through the recent posts asking similar questions, but have not found much.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Aircraft QoL

Post by Loading... »

If you want a narrow body Airbus you only have 2 options lol. If you want Vancouver base you only have 1 option. Either option is good. A320, generally longer legs but pays more after flat pay.
A220 has a awful engine sound that would make it unbearable to fly. But the legs are shorter and pay is lower.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Rouge bus *usually* has the most single days/shorter pairings and 220 *usually* has the longest. Keep in mind the flying/pairings etc are always changing, every month and every season. There really isn't a huge difference comparing them and the entire landscape will change completely over the 15 years you're talking about.
Metal preference is just that, but I am getting tired of having a control column in front of me that I use for 15 minutes out of my 12 hour day.
The 37 is the most reliable NB in the fleet. By far. And typically the chillest flying. The maintenance delays and endless deferrals on the bus are your trade off for the control column and small flight deck.

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Bingo Fuel »

Can confirm. If Airbus is the way you want to go, Rouge has the best variety of pairings. The 220, although new, definitely has its share of maintenance issues, and generally 4 day pairings. The 220 training is worlds better than the 320 training. Narrowbody captain upgrades are currently possible around the 2 year mark.

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

What are the pairing lengths on the 737 out of YYZ?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Loading... wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:38 am If you want a narrow body Airbus you only have 2 options lol. If you want Vancouver base you only have 1 option. Either option is good. A320, generally longer legs but pays more after flat pay.
A220 has a awful engine sound that would make it unbearable to fly. But the legs are shorter and pay is lower.
The 220 whale mating call is only associated with a narrow range of power settings! The engines sound “normal” in flight!

Having flown both, the 320 is a better airplane, but the 220 does have some advantages. Both mainline 320 and 220 have a mix of “good” and “bad” pairings, but what qualifies as each depends a bit on your personality and goals in life!

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

bring me the horizon wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:29 am What are the pairing lengths on the 737 out of YYZ?
They range from 1-5 days, with the vast majority 3 days or less.
C1CADC0F-B162-4EAC-88F8-630BCE4E0A74.jpeg
C1CADC0F-B162-4EAC-88F8-630BCE4E0A74.jpeg (77.87 KiB) Viewed 4305 times

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

I am too lazy to search, but what you all are saying is ALL of these choices are now available from day one or day 3 or whenever you get to choose?

There used to be a dude who posted what everyone got each class, where is that guy?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

kilocharliemike wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:44 am I am too lazy to search, but what you all are saying is ALL of these choices are now available from day one or day 3 or whenever you get to choose?

There used to be a dude who posted what everyone got each class, where is that guy?
There are openings on every fleet, exactly what is offered on each PIT course varies by training department availability.

If I had to guess, I would say that the guy who used to post all the offerings either moved to a different position where that info is harder to come by, or got in trouble for sharing it here.

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

[/quote]

There are openings on every fleet, exactly what is offered on each PIT course varies by training department availability.

If I had to guess, I would say that the guy who used to post all the offerings either moved to a different position where that info is harder to come by, or got in trouble for sharing it here.
[/quote]

Thats too bad, sharing is caring...

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

The March 22 class had
5- 220
9- 737
2- 320
2- 319
There were also 10 RP spots, 3 cargo, and 5 WB FO. There isn't always that much variety. Getting your choice obviously depends on picking a very high seniority number.

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Cheers Bob!

Raphael
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Raphael »

bob99 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:38 am The March 22 class had
5- 220
9- 737
2- 320
2- 319
There were also 10 RP spots, 3 cargo, and 5 WB FO. There isn't always that much variety. Getting your choice obviously depends on picking a very high seniority number.
Would you mind sharing what the 5 WB FO and 10 RP spots were (base/type)?

Thanks!

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

2 330FO YZ or UL
3 87FO YZ

3 87RP UL
7 77RP UL

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

bob99 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:04 am The 37 is the most reliable NB in the fleet. By far.
Yes but do you know why? The other NB aircraft have a good amount of self-monitoring of their systems and will tell you when something fails whether you’re using it at the time or not. The 737 just lets you figure it out yourself.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

lownslow wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:44 am
bob99 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:04 am The 37 is the most reliable NB in the fleet. By far.
Yes but do you know why? The other NB aircraft have a good amount of self-monitoring of their systems and will tell you when something fails whether you’re using it at the time or not. The 737 just lets you figure it out yourself.
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Clearly you are an airbus pilot and don’t know what you’re talking about. Enough said.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:11 pm With the hope that I get a job offer, I am trying to figure out how to order my bid for aircraft. As I do not have any jet time, I am aware that I will be assigned to a narrow body.

My priorities are:
  1. Shorter pairings. Home more often.
  2. Pay (after flat pay)
  3. Airbus over Boeing
  4. Upgrade time
I would be fine sitting right seat for fifteen years if I could afford it and it would guarantee that I have the lifestyle I want (watching my kids grow up). Metal preference is just that, but I am getting tired of having a control column in front of me that I use for 15 minutes out of my 12 hour day.

Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated. I have been looking through the recent posts asking similar questions, but have not found much.
Still boggles my mind how you do not know how/where your life will be until day 2

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

So more about Quality of life and equipment... which equipment will get you the most flights to...('cough'layovers) the Caribbean/Mexico? Sun is a big factor in my QOL...focus people

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

kilocharliemike wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:07 pm So more about Quality of life and equipment... which equipment will get you the most flights to...('cough'layovers) the Caribbean/Mexico? Sun is a big factor in my QOL...focus people
Sorry lol. You know we as pilots are basically all ADHD. I’ll defer your query to someone who actually works at AC

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Bingo Fuel »

kilocharliemike wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:07 pm So more about Quality of life and equipment... which equipment will get you the most flights to...('cough'layovers) the Caribbean/Mexico? Sun is a big factor in my QOL...focus people
Rouge A319 (even though a big chunk of that fleet is A321). Some nice layovers at resorts if you have the seniority to hold it. Havana, Mexico City, St Lucia, Grenada, Costa Rica, Panama, etc

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Air Canada”