Approximate net pay for new f/o on Q ?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jayflight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Approximate net pay for new f/o on Q ?

Post by jayflight »

Hi, I’ve seen the pay scale posted on this site showing the hourly rates of pay. Should the average new hire (flying the Q from yhz) expect any more than 80 hours per month? I’m trying to get a feel for what to expect as a net income during the first year. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Approximate net pay for new f/o on Q ?

Post by braaap Braap »

Not sure with the new rates but I would guess. Base salary with next to no per diem will be ~$1250/check (twice monthly)

jayflight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jayflight »

Thank you.

paytoplay
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by paytoplay »

Last edited by paytoplay on Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REFPLUS10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by REFPLUS10 »

And little to no open flying available on the FO side right now. Count your pennies!

jayflight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jayflight »

Thanks , that is very helpful 👍

Highflyer885
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Highflyer885 »

And little to no open flying available on the FO side right now. Count your pennies!

SO no overtime for FOs despite the shortage??
I mean at YTZ...!

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by braaap Braap »

Highflyer885 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:46 am And little to no open flying available on the FO side right now. Count your pennies!

I mean at YTZ...!
Shortage?! What shortage? Theyve had the FO hiring tap on full blast for the last year and havent been able to transfer E2 FOs yet because theyre so backed up with CA training.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

braaap Braap wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:16 pm
Highflyer885 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:46 am And little to no open flying available on the FO side right now. Count your pennies!

I mean at YTZ...!
Shortage?! What shortage? Theyve had the FO hiring tap on full blast for the last year and havent been able to transfer E2 FOs yet because theyre so backed up with CA training.
And porter’s catching up with the E2. Slowly… the bottle neck was the lack of ACP/LC pilots.

Highflyer885
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Highflyer885 »

Sorry to beat this same drum, but just to clarify...Not a lot of flying for FOs at YTZ initially after line indoctrination?

65hr above mentions as blocked, but paid the 80MMG.....Is this the average flying time to expect per month for new FO in YTZ?

Someone mentioned line indoctrination is slow too??? Can anyone elaborate on this for the new guys/gals who just went through it recently.
Is it accomplished in the three weeks stated in the hiring info or does it drag on due to staffing shortage?

Thanks so much!

p.s. PM me if you wish to elaborate..... :) if that is easier for you.

Timetoflyagain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Timetoflyagain »

Lineindoc can seem slow as, depending on the time and experience you’re bringing..you’re either scheduled for 40 or 60 sectors. Wayyyy over TC minimums. That’s because you’re being trained to land on Canada's only aircraft carrier…CYTZ. Some low timers who’ve struggled go up to 80 sectors. Have a few bookoffs, AOG’s, wx cancellations so yes, lineindoc will stretch on and on…and if someone else is close to the finish line, they might take your flights to get them done.

The FO transfer to the E2 will begin picking up. There are now over 125 E2 Caps on the list and approx 30 FO’s. Most, if not all Caps were right seat qualified from day 1.

Highflyer885
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Highflyer885 »

Thank you Timetoflyagain,

SO basically they won't be done in three weeks as stated. Hopefully with nicer weather that is one factor eliminated to some extent.

Newly indoctrinated folks.....how long was your stint? in this phase of training?

Thanks again

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Where are you getting the 3 weeks for line indoc? Are you maybe confusing line indoc with company indoc? Can't think of any operator the type/size of Porter putting a calendar time on line indoc; usually it is a combination of minimum flight time and sectors flown required but ultimately making sure that the candidate is prepared for line flying.

Have Pratts - Will Travel
Highflyer885
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Highflyer885 »

Was told after I asked the question at the interview.

3 weeks classroom, 3 weeks Simulator and 3 weeks of line indoctrination.

I have been away from flying for many years and just getting back to it. So, not sure how much things have changed over the years.

I called in today to ask and was told they are caught up with Q training as they cancelled the March and April classes to catch up.

Still, she mentioned that the 3 weeks line indoc is an estimate. The whole training process is more like 3 months total from day 1.

Hence my question for any new hires about their take and experience on this question.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Highflyer885 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:10 am Was told after I asked the question at the interview.

Can confirm.

I was told the exact same thing in my interview for the E2. And then again in an email when I was trying to get an estimate of sim dates. And then again in another unrelated email.

Three separate times I was told "3 weeks classroom, 3 weeks Simulator and 3 weeks of line indoctrination."

I've now completed the company indoc and it was three weeks although the 3rd week was at home learning. I'm in sim now and it's scheduled to take just over three weeks. No idea about line indoc yet.

And for anyone who's been in this industry for more than a day the three weeks is obviously just an estimate.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Chaxterium wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:38 am
Highflyer885 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:10 am Was told after I asked the question at the interview.

Can confirm.

I was told the exact same thing in my interview for the E2. And then again in an email when I was trying to get an estimate of sim dates. And then again in another unrelated email.

Three separate times I was told "3 weeks classroom, 3 weeks Simulator and 3 weeks of line indoctrination."

I've now completed the company indoc and it was three weeks although the 3rd week was at home learning. I'm in sim now and it's scheduled to take just over three weeks. No idea about line indoc yet.

And for anyone who's been in this industry for more than a day the three weeks is obviously just an estimate.

E2 line indoc taking longer due to trainer availability. I assume some of this is Q side. If you have E1 rating, they pushing people through faster. I personally had almost 6 weeks off after groundschool to sim, but that was at the height of the training craziness. Once you get going in line training, it’s fairly quick. Min 25 hours of flight, 4 sectors. Most have been doing 35-40 with 10 or more sectors

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

$1,600 twice a month sounds about right as base pay.

AFAIK, there is virtually no overtime on the Q for the FOs right now. CAs are a different story.

As far as line indoc, it all depends. Mine took 1.5 months back in 2018. I wouldn't count on three weeks; heck, some people are sitting home for three weeks waiting for line indoc to begin. Still others get everything done in well under a month.

capt_Z
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by capt_Z »

What's the current payscale for Q FO?

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 11.16.11.png
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 11.16.11.png (59.96 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

Companies , all companies not just Porter, really have to improve new hire pay, $50 an hour?? That’s not near enough..

Return to “Porter Airlines”