Wide body with no former jet-time

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 3
Rank 3

Wide body with no former jet-time

Post by Loading... »

I heard that unless you have former jet experience, you cant be considered for a WB position on initial hire. Just wondering if anybody knows whether or not this rumour is true?
This would seem abit silly, certaintly for those coming from Jazz.
---------- ADS -----------

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Wide body with no former jet-time

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Loading... wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 am I heard that unless you have former jet experience, you cant be considered for a WB position on initial hire. Just wondering if anybody knows whether or not this rumour is true?

They will stick to that right up until they don't have any candidates that meet the requirement. Then all of the sudden, the requirement will no longer be enforced.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Is the worlds lowest paid WB pilot a popular choice for new hires?

Let’s Go Brandon
dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:00 am
Loading... wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 am I heard that unless you have former jet experience, you cant be considered for a WB position on initial hire. Just wondering if anybody knows whether or not this rumour is true?

They will stick to that right up until they don't have any candidates that meet the requirement. Then all of the sudden, the requirement will no longer be enforced.
That's what I was told as well. As long as there are candidates that meet the "jet time 'required'" rule for WB FO, they do not consider candidates with no jet time. With that said, there have been and there will be more WB FOs with no jet time.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

WB FO positions should all be formula pay Day 1 (just like CA positions).

That would solve the unbid WB FO position available for new-hire dilemma.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

Several guys I know that went to AC in the last 12 months got WB with no jet time. Albeit on the 767.

YYZshill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZshill »

new hires with no jet time can bid RP widebody positions. widebody FOs require previous jet experience. 767F is considered a narrowbody at AC

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:16 am Is the worlds lowest paid WB pilot a popular choice for new hires?
BOTL in my class was 777 FO

Tigger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tigger »

Seriously, why in the world is that “silly?” I can sleep fairly soundly in the bunk right now knowing that my FO(s) have at least some experience flying jets and can baby sit an RP who might have none; I doubt I could manage a single wink if I knew there was only Dash8 or 1900 guys up there alone…

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Tigger wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:57 am
I doubt I could manage a single wink if I knew there was only Dash8 or 1900 guys up there alone…
Well I have news for you :lol:

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

Seriously, why in the world is that “silly?” I can sleep fairly soundly in the bunk right now knowing that my FO(s) have at least some experience flying jets and can baby sit an RP who might have none; I doubt I could manage a single wink if I knew there was only Dash8 or 1900 guys up there alone…
Because a large turbo prop like a Q400 is harder to fly, than a E175 or something like that. So I rather have the pilots, with better piloting skills, e.g. the Q400 pilots, in the right seat over an RJ or E175 pilot.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Loading... wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:48 pm
Because a large turbo prop like a Q400 is harder to fly, than a E175 or something like that. So I rather have the pilots, with better piloting skills, e.g. the Q400 pilots, in the right seat over an RJ or E175 pilot.
B85B1DA1-6BFC-4C46-B4D3-3BB5EE3CBCC8.gif
B85B1DA1-6BFC-4C46-B4D3-3BB5EE3CBCC8.gif (276.82 KiB) Viewed 3692 times

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Lol. Keep telling yourself that. I’d throw a meme or a gif in, but it seems others already have manifested my opinion in picture format. Cheers

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Airplanes aren’t hard to fly. If you have any time on them. Perhaps this gig isn’t for you.

Tigger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tigger »

Well, I guess we found the guy who obviously doesn’t know bugger all about flying jets…. You are comically wrong, but thank you for 100% proving my point. Don’t let your crazy over-confidence overcome your obvious ignorance — at least in my flight deck.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

All I can think of is the poster was referring to perhaps; certain aspects of the Q. I for example found doing V1 cuts more challenging in the Q because things happen can happen quicky…vs the 37 or 320. But as for the flying itself, well a Q is more like a big King Air :wink:

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Disclaimer:- I don't work at Air Canada.

This can be done - just requires the training to be adjusted (add a few sessions) to emphasise the differences in handling imho. The basics of flying don't change.

Line Training can be modified so new Pilots initially only take-off and land at their home base until they get some experience on Type (SOP at at lot of Airlines globally). Add a few extra flights with an Instructor here as well.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

What are the chances that some Dash8 FO spent much time studying issues related to high altitude jet operations.

Captains going for crew rest might prefer leaving the controls to a couple of pilots who have been immersed in the jet world for several years. People who took company related training in high altitude operations several times, who discussed such issues with fellow pilots about said operations, who heard and learned about incidents in their companies about mistakes made in such operations.

It might be nice to have two crew who know better than anybody how to successfully bust minimums to get into pickle lake(and that can be a useful background to have for certain rare situations), but that may not prevent a high altitude upset when the airspeed indicators fail(Air France anyone).

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

I was more so refering to engine out operations can be more challenging in a large turboprop, compared to an CRJ (basically centre line thrust). But certaintly both operations have their challenges. However, I think you folks are over reacting, flying a jet is not very difficult at all. High altitude upset recovery is very basic, and can be trained.

Return to “Air Canada”