Has AC stopped hiring jazz until the fall?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Has AC stopped hiring jazz until the fall?

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Is it true AC has stopped hiring Jazz pilots until the fall. The past few months they have barely hired any, but has this dropped to 0 again?
---------- ADS -----------

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Has AC stopped hiring jazz until the fall?

Post by QKZXKV »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:41 pm Is it true AC has stopped hiring Jazz pilots until the fall. The past few months they have barely hired any, but has this dropped to 0 again?
This has usually been the case both pre and post "flow" ratification.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Have any official memos come out stating 0 hiring?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:09 pm Have any official memos come out stating 0 hiring?
Do you think the company will shot itself into his foot?

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

A memo came out last fall when they stopped hiring in October 2022.

WillC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WillC »

Flight OPS VP said so during an AC PIT class. They are protecting the summer schedule. His words: "anyone with an ATPL and 2 years will be hired by September/October"

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

WillC wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:37 am Flight OPS VP said so during an AC PIT class. They are protecting the summer schedule. His words: "anyone with an ATPL and 2 years will be hired by September/October"
The VP of flight ops says a lot of things, mostly he is full of it! The louder he gets, the more things aren't turning out the way he wants. My opinion.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

Alot of new hires at AC have been from Jazz for the last number of classes. It makes sence to stop during the summer. The 60% is an annual requirement, so maybe they will make it up in the fall.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

WillC wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:37 am Flight OPS VP said so during an AC PIT class. They are protecting the summer schedule. His words: "anyone with an ATPL and 2 years will be hired by September/October"
So having two yos is a requirement now not a preference now.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Loading... wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:16 am Alot of new hires at AC have been from Jazz for the last number of classes. It makes sence to stop during the summer. The 60% is an annual requirement, so maybe they will make it up in the fall.
Not sure where you get a-lot of new hires coming from jazz, when numbers have been around 5 in classes of 40 pilots?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:31 pm
Loading... wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:16 am Alot of new hires at AC have been from Jazz for the last number of classes. It makes sence to stop during the summer. The 60% is an annual requirement, so maybe they will make it up in the fall.
Not sure where you get a-lot of new hires coming from jazz, when numbers have been around 5 in classes of 40 pilots?
Yea I’ve also heard 5-10 per,

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:53 pm
Bullshit. Check your facts before posting.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Outlaw58 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:43 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 5:53 pm

Bullshit. Check your facts before posting.

I clearly said “I heard”. That’s pilot speak for “bullshit gossip”. I was never stating I was correct. This is an unregulated anonymous pilot forum. Take things with a grain of salt.

If you have any additional info, would love to see/hear it

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

At best it was 40 a month, which is still just 50%.
Even if they kept it at 40/month, they’re still behind.
So…no, it doesn’t make sense to stop. But it seems like AC just does whatever they want and there’s no consequences whatsoever

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Tim James

Thank you. Then moving on, and this ties into Cygnet, I suppose, but maybe more broadly speaking about Jazz, have you been restricted or limited at all recently in your ability to increase block hours and flying for Air Canada due to the availability of pilots?

Colin Copp

So the - yes, I mean that's a good question. The pilot flow, as you - as we move pilots around the system, it does give some ups and downs in our ability to provide block hours. So it's really principally controlled by the flow and the decisions that Air Canada makes on how many pilots they want to take and when they want to take those pilots.

And our job is really and what we do within Jazz is to provide that backfill of the pilots as required. And it does take a little bit of time to get those pilots through training and get them up to speed and back in those seats and transitioning.

But there's really no significant impact to our ability to deliver on the long term on flight hours. It's more just around the timing of as you move these pilots around the system. It does create some reductions, plus and minuses in the block hours for sure. And the training classes are all full. We have no problems attracting pilots. We've been very successful at getting qualified candidates in the door and in our training classes.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/460368 ... transcript

Savanthi Syth

Hey, good morning. And Amos congrats on the well-deserved retirement and leaving on a high note here. If I might and maybe to Mark the operations have kind of significantly improved and you've done a lot to invest in there. And if there is maybe one area, that may be falling short is probably Jazz continues to perform poorly regardless of the weather. And could you talk about what if there's any line of sight into kind of that operation improving and especially as you head into the peak summer season?

Craig Landry

Yes, it's Craig Landry here, I'll speak to that. So certainly the first quarter was challenging. There is significant weather events in the first quarter that impacted us not only in Canada, but across North America, everything from ice storms to extreme fog. It was certainly a very challenging quarter operationally as the first quarter can often be coming out of the first quarter looking at our April performance and even into the month of May, there's been significant improvement. We see operational performance at this point that's very much in line with pre-pandemic and is a significant improvement as soon the very challenging weather subsided, we're able to reestablish for all the reasons we discussed earlier a much more stable operation.

Jazz is part of that and obviously in the first quarter to the extent that some of these weather events happen in certain parts of Canada. And at different times of day, the Jazz network was impacted by that. In some cases, a bit disproportionately so, but I can tell you that Jazz's performance like Air Canada has recovered in April and May and we feel very confident for the summer.

Savanthi Syth

Is that -- Craig then, I mean, if I look at the completion factors that are at least publicly available, I mean, Jazz continues to be -- I mean Air Canada and Rouge seem to be doing really well and Jazz seems to be worse. So is that something maybe the public data is wrong or how should we think about that?

Craig Landry

Well, I suppose -- it perhaps depends what timeframe you're looking at certainly in the first quarter, when we have difficult decisions at times to cancel flights to accommodate for restrictions and aircraft traffic control or weather or other related events. There typically would be a lower passenger impact on canceling a flight that has a small number of passengers than a much larger aircraft with a larger number of passengers. So at times those flights can be targeted for cancellation in a way that's different from our larger wide body international flights. The recovery of those cancellations is also easier in some cases. So it's the right thing to do for our customers.
So I think you may have seen that as I mentioned in the first quarter during the disruptive period. But more recently, we're seeing flight completion levels at Jazz very much in line with Air Canada.

https://apple.news/A8RMVKfODQdKWif3t0lQhEQ

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

“We have no problems attracting pilots. We've been very successful at getting qualified candidates in the door and in our training classes”. - Colin Copp

Telling the share holders what they want to hear. Very funny 😄

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:51 am “We have no problems attracting pilots. We've been very successful at getting qualified candidates in the door and in our training classes”. - Colin Copp

Telling the share holders what they want to hear. Very funny 😄
I suppose it depends on your definition of qualified, they certainly aren’t in my definition.

capt_Z
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by capt_Z »

AC stops hiring from Jazz to protect summer schedules and Jazz stops hiring post June. To maintain a balance.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

capt_Z wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 am AC stops hiring from Jazz to protect summer schedules and Jazz stops hiring post June. To maintain a balance.
Screenshot the email if that's true.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

capt_Z wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 am AC stops hiring from Jazz to protect summer schedules and Jazz stops hiring post June. To maintain a balance.
Lmao what balance? Did you not see all the vacancies in the last bid? Oh right of course you can’t see it because you got PFO’ed.
Also, stop contradicting yourself, you literally said there’s a Jazz gs in July.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”