Float training + Hour building

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

emilyl0rd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Float training + Hour building

Post by emilyl0rd »

G’day,

I’m a kiwi PPL currently studying for my CPL.
I’m looking to head over to canada in a few months to do a float endorsement and build some float hours. I may have a job lined up in nz but will need to build 40 hours on floats to meet their insurance minimums. Does anyone have any recommendations on the cheapest hour building/ float rating training in canada?

Looking for the most cost effective solution. I can go anywhere.
Happy to do it on anything (cub, 172, 180) for the right price.

I’m planning on just doing a FLVC, instead of the full conversion if possible. I don’t actually need the float rating on my nz license as that can be signed off by my prospective employer when i have the hours. Can i still fly floats PIC/solo after the 7 hour endorsement is done on the FLVC?

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

crpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Float training + Hour building

Post by crpilot »

I'm not sure about costs currently, but would recommend looking into Fort Langley Air or Air Hart, both in British Columbia.

Check out the following Advisory Circular regarding the FLVC.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/refere ... no-400-003
"When the pilot training is for a Canadian rating, TCCA does not endorse the FLVC or the foreign licence with any rating."

I would interpret that as meaning that you cannot obtain a float rating as an "add-on" to your FLVC. The FLVC will only include those priveliges that you already hold on your NZ license. Unless you can get the float rating added to your NZ license, then re-apply for a new FLVC with the relevant priveliges, you cannot exercise the float rating legally as PIC of a Canadian reg seaplane. Do your 40 hrs require you to be PIC?

If so, I think your best option would be to apply for a full license conversion, and then have the float rating endorsed on your Canadian license. You may also find it difficult to find a float operator that allows you to solo with only the 7 hour rating. Most have higher insurance requirements...
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Flight Training”