Logging the Hours

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Christopher F.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Logging the Hours

Post by Christopher F. »

Hello Folks.

So, I have a question for you.
I leave here in Regina and I received a proposal to fly for a company as FO. I’m Commercial Group 1 + IATRA. The company is a private company “not commercial” and they have 3 C208 Caravans.
As the C208 is certified for single pilot operation, is it legal to log those hours in my Pilot Logbook? “Co-Pilot/SIC/DUAL” one of them I mean!

They told me as it requires only 1 pilot, it’s not required to do the PCC. Anyways, I’m not sure if I could log those hours.

I have an additional question:
At my flight school I was not allowed to fly with another student building hours and both, me and him/her log the hours, one as PIC and the other as DUAL.
What about you school guys?
I know in US it’s legal and normal for all students.
I wanna know where is the publication that all those information about “logging hours” is place!

Thank you guys!
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Logging the Hours

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Christopher F. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:21 am Hello Folks.

So, I have a question for you.
I leave here in Regina and I received a proposal to fly for a company as FO. I’m Commercial Group 1 + IATRA. The company is a private company “not commercial” and they have 3 C208 Caravans.

As the C208 is certified for single pilot operation, is it legal to log those hours in my Pilot Logbook? “Co-Pilot/SIC/DUAL” one of them I mean!

They told me as it requires only 1 pilot, it’s not required to do the PCC. Anyways, I’m not sure if I could log those hours.
No
I have an additional question:
At my flight school I was not allowed to fly with another student building hours and both, me and him/her log the hours, one as PIC and the other as DUAL.
What about you school guys?

No
I know in US it’s legal and normal for all students.
I wanna know where is the publication that all those information about “logging hours” is place!

CAR’s

Thank you guys!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Logging for what purpose? For licenses? Then likely no. To show experience to other employers? You can always tell them you were an FO on a Caravan for XX hours, but couldn't log it due to lack of multi crew SOPs. It's up to that company to value that as they want. Generally it won't carry much weight, but it *might* set you apart from other low time pilots.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Christopher F.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Christopher F. »

Hello Big Pistons Forever
Where exactly CAR's says about it?
I remember reading everything for 703,704 and 705 but I don`t remember seeing anything.
I`d really appreciate if you could share with me the section they state that information.

Thank you so much!

Christopher F.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Christopher F. »

Hello Digits

Exactly. You got it.
I`m not yet concerned about Hours for Licenses. I only wanna get my 500 hours based on the Insurance to be eligible for most of the companies.
So, in this case, I can`t put it on my "REGULAR" Pilot Logbook. However, I could have a "secondary" Pilot Logbook and log those hours there and on my resume for future applications, to mention I have this experience.
Is it correct?

Thank you so much!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Christopher F. wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:41 am Hello Digits

Exactly. You got it.
I`m not yet concerned about Hours for Licenses. I only wanna get my 500 hours based on the Insurance to be eligible for most of the companies.
So, in this case, I can`t put it on my "REGULAR" Pilot Logbook. However, I could have a "secondary" Pilot Logbook and log those hours there and on my resume for future applications, to mention I have this experience.
Is it correct?

Thank you so much!
If you are concerned about insurance requirements then they decide what counts and what doesn't. That will vary per operator

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Christopher F.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Christopher F. »

In this case, the best to do is to have another Pilot Logbook or an Excel to keep track of my experience.
Thank you again

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Christopher F. wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:41 am I only wanna get my 500 hours based on the Insurance to be eligible for most of the companies.
I'm not sure on this point, but that could void your insurance. If TC doesn't count it, an insurance company may not either.
Also, could you elaborate on "Insurance to be eligible for most of the companies"?
Christopher F. wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:41 am So, in this case, I can`t put it on my "REGULAR" Pilot Logbook. However, I could have a "secondary" Pilot Logbook and log those hours there and on my resume for future applications, to mention I have this experience.
Now that will get you in a lot of trouble.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You could put it in your regular logbook and re-purpose an unused column for time at the controls you can't credit towards a licence or rating (or recency) or mark the entries with asterisks and don't add them into the column totals on each page.

There should be no problem about recording extra information in your logbook, as long as it's clear.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Christopher F. wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:36 am Hello Big Pistons Forever
Where exactly CAR's says about it?
I remember reading everything for 703,704 and 705 but I don`t remember seeing anything.
I`d really appreciate if you could share with me the section they state that information.

Thank you so much!
Part 4 of the CAR’s defines the privileges of your license.

Christopher F.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Christopher F. »

Thank you so much guys.
Now I`m aware.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”