Flair is Canada's worst airline

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Flair is Canada's worst airline

Post by Donald »

As per number of complaints per 100 flights.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/flair- ... -1.6863897
---------- ADS -----------

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Flair is Canada's worst airline

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Donald wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 am As per number of complaints per 100 flights.

I mean, that doesn't necessarily mean what you think. The likes of Spirit and Ryanair probably lead in passenger complaints also.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:40 am
Donald wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 am As per number of complaints per 100 flights.

I mean, that doesn't necessarily mean what you think. The likes of Spirit and Ryanair probably lead in passenger complaints also.
Are they Canadian airlines?

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Donald wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:45 am
Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:40 am

Are they Canadian airlines?
That's irrelevant. My point was that ULCC's generally lead when it comes to complaints, passenger dissatisfaction and other such metrics. Partly due to unrealistic expectations from passengers thinking their $49 fare entitles them to the same service an $800 fare at traditional airline does. That and no shortage of people who don't bother to read the T&C and think the airline is scamming them when being charged for that checked bag.

But I'll ask. What was the point of your post?

Major Cong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Major Cong »

I think your title is misleading (probably deleberately). They are better than most at the moment for on time performance.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:00 pm My point was that ULCC's generally lead when it comes to complaints, passenger dissatisfaction and other such metrics. Partly due to unrealistic expectations from passengers thinking their $49 fare entitles them to the same service an $800 fare at traditional airline does. That and no shortage of people who don't bother to read the T&C and think the airline is scamming them when being charged for that checked bag.

Frankly, I’m surprised Flair lead the list by such a wide margin. Normally, people complain because their expectations were not met. I would have thought Air Canada was on top of the list as people expect “more”.

For example, a friend recently flew on Flair from YYZ-YVR. I asked how his flight was, and he said, “it was fine”. Talking further, the flight was two hours late, the cabin was filthy and he noted he had to pay for a cup of coffee. But … for him, it was fine and he’d fly them again. His expectations were met.

When I saw this survey, I was most curious about what facet made them complain. Because, not just they didn’t enjoy the flight, but they actually made a formal complaint. Was it baggage, fares, food, refunds, etc. That would be more telling and something for the airline to improve.

And Tbayer. Don’t take these surveys personally. I think it’s more a factor of the method of data collection than a judgement on your airline.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Crewbunk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:31 pm
Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:00 pm My point was that ULCC's generally lead when it comes to complaints, passenger dissatisfaction and other such metrics. Partly due to unrealistic expectations from passengers thinking their $49 fare entitles them to the same service an $800 fare at traditional airline does. That and no shortage of people who don't bother to read the T&C and think the airline is scamming them when being charged for that checked bag.

Frankly, I’m surprised Flair lead the list by such a wide margin. Normally, people complain because their expectations were not met. I would have thought Air Canada was on top of the list as people expect “more”.

For example, a friend recently flew on Flair from YYZ-YVR. I asked how his flight was, and he said, “it was fine”. Talking further, the flight was two hours late, the cabin was filthy and he noted he had to pay for a cup of coffee. But … for him, it was fine and he’d fly them again. His expectations were met.

When I saw this survey, I was most curious about what facet made them complain. Because, not just they didn’t enjoy the flight, but they actually made a formal complaint. Was it baggage, fares, food, refunds, etc. That would be more telling and something for the airline to improve.

And Tbayer. Don’t take these surveys personally. I think it’s more a factor of the method of data collection than a judgement on your airline.
I don't take it personally at all as I don't work for Flair. You may be confusing my with Tbaylx. I agree with your points, but also think there is a not insignificant number of the type I described. I've seen people complain that X ULCC charged them to print out their boarding pass. While arguably draconian, it was probably somewhere in the provided info.

What may also be at play is that with the prices that the ULCCs are charging in Canada, they tapping into a previous untouched market. A market that rarely flew or simply didn't fly at all. Which ads to the whole problem of unrealistic expectations.

Jester123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jester123 »

You pay for what you get. With low fares expect low service.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:00 pm

That's irrelevant. My point was that ULCC's generally lead when it comes to complaints, passenger dissatisfaction and other such metrics. Partly due to unrealistic expectations from passengers thinking their $49 fare entitles them to the same service an $800 fare at traditional airline does. That and no shortage of people who don't bother to read the T&C and think the airline is scamming them when being charged for that checked bag.

Lynx had a lower complaint rate than WJ or AC for the first quarter of 2023, and the reason for the Flair complaints was a complete and utter lack of customer support when things go wrong (which seems to happen often).

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Major Cong wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:24 pm I think your title is misleading (probably deleberately). They are better than most at the moment for on time performance.
I simply paraphrased from the title of the published article.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Donald wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Major Cong wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:24 pm I think your title is misleading (probably deleberately). They are better than most at the moment for on time performance.
No you didn’t. You cut the title to make click-bait garbage.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Donald wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:32 pm

Paraphrased or not, what was the point of your post?

"This just in, the Toronto Maple Leafs fail to make it past round 2" ok and? You think you're doing something with this post or..??

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

rooster wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:30 pm Paraphrased or not, what was the point of your post?
What is the point of any post?
It’s an article about Canadian aviation on a Canadian aviation website.

Argue it. Refute it. Or ignore it.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

‘Bob’ wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:11 pm
Donald wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:32 pm I simply paraphrased from the title of the published article.
No you didn’t. You cut the title to make click-bait garbage.
Hurt your feelings? Take it up with the CBC.
rooster wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:30 pm Paraphrased or not, what was the point of your post?
I'll admit I was surprised at how many complaints that Flair receives, considering that I have been conditioned by the media since birth, to believe that AC is the worst airline on earth.

So I shared the article for discussion.

Thanks.

swimming
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by swimming »

Last edited by swimming on Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

swimming wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:28 am "Lynx had a lower complaint rate than WJ or AC for the first quarter of 2023, and the reason for the Flair complaints was a complete and utter lack of customer support when things go wrong (which seems to happen often)."

Let's wait and see what the second quarter brings...

Lynx's response to this article has been "HOLD MY BEER!"
Doesn't Lynx fly like once a week?

swimming
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by swimming »

Return to “General Comments”