This can’t be good.

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

derk99
Rank 1
Rank 1

This can’t be good.

Post by derk99 »

If you can’t make it in YOW maybe it’s time to shut it all down.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
IMG_0634.png
IMG_0634.png (1.98 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: This can’t be good.

Post by digits_ »

hmz... 'as you consider your options'

translation: 'please leave so we don't have to pay severance'?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lament
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lament »

YXX closing, now YOW. What base is next?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Or: “we don’t wanna fight porter in YOW, but please don’t send to resumes to them, we will tell you in the future how we will get you to Toronto”

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:24 pm Or: “we don’t wanna fight porter in YOW, but please don’t send to resumes to them, we will tell you in the future how we will get you to Toronto”
how many pilots live in Ottawa?

TC.Enforcement
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TC.Enforcement »

derk99 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:21 am If you can’t make it in YOW maybe it’s time to shut it all down.
This is old news. Did you have to wait for a buddy of a buddy of yours to send you this so you can post it online to stir up shit?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

TC.Enforcement wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:44 pm
derk99 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:21 am If you can’t make it in YOW maybe it’s time to shut it all down.
This is old news. Did you have to wait for a buddy of a buddy of yours to send you this so you can post it online to stir up shit?
It not old news to me, first I’m hearing of this and it doesn’t look good to be pulling back when you’re in a supposed growth phase. Seems you’ve been shrinking and might want to reflect on that a bit and combine that fact with what your CEO has said about the balance sheet, I’d be thinking about applying elsewhere right about now.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

newlygrounded wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:41 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:24 pm Or: “we don’t wanna fight porter in YOW, but please don’t send to resumes to them, we will tell you in the future how we will get you to Toronto”
how many pilots live in Ottawa?
More than you think.

TC.Enforcement
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TC.Enforcement »

cdnavater wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:40 pm
It not old news to me, first I’m hearing of this and it doesn’t look good to be pulling back when you’re in a supposed growth phase. Seems you’ve been shrinking and might want to reflect on that a bit and combine that fact with what your CEO has said about the balance sheet, I’d be thinking about applying elsewhere right about now.
It’s old news to people working here at Flair. Which means who ever posted this doesn’t work here, and therefore has no reason to be commenting or speculating on what may or may not be happening, especially with inflammatory comments like “shut it down”. I’m confused. Do you or do you not want Flair to work out?

I’m aware it doesn’t look good. I’m not blind. At the end of the day, the facts are we’re down aircraft this year, and we’ve closed one base with an announcement of a second base closure (albeit not until next summer) . I don’t think anyone would agree that Flair is in a growth phase. As for applying elsewhere, the world has more colours and shades than just black and white.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Do not pay for their cadet program up front.

Aviationanalysis234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aviationanalysis234 »

This is not old news. Search for recent Flair news on Google. Also see their flight schedule they have eliminated everything from YOW other than Halifax flights effective May 2024.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Aviationanalysis234 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:24 pm

This is not old news. Search for recent Flair news on Google. Also see their flight schedule they have eliminated everything from YOW other than Halifax flights effective May 2024.
Yikes, well hopefully they can get the ship headed in the right direction, this is what companies are hoping for, a company failing and providing a supply of pilots.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It’s probably good for flair in the long term to focus on a few bases rather than try have a ton all over the country until they are really established.
On the flip side it’s going to be harder to try attract pilots with the lure of a new base where they live in they think you might close it 1-2 years after it opens.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Or maybe it could be good. The real positive out of this is we are moving to a yow and yul port system. I have no idea what that will look like when the dust settles, but virtually all of the yow pilots I know, commute from yul. It sounds like they'll be able to head start from home and get pre-diem when away from port. I'm sure someone like yourself, who doesn't work at Flair will be the first to break the story with a negative spin once the port system has been ironed out...

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

co-joe wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:26 pm
Or maybe it could be good. The real positive out of this is we are moving to a yow and yul port system. I have no idea what that will look like when the dust settles, but virtually all of the yow pilots I know, commute from yul. It sounds like they'll be able to head start from home and get pre-diem when away from port. I'm sure someone like yourself, who doesn't work at Flair will be the first to break the story with a negative spin once the port system has been ironed out...
Not trying to be a pessimist but why did WestJet close their ports?
Flair is not reinventing the wheel, they are repeating what other companies have tried in the past, I thought the multi base thing was a great idea and wondered how they were doing it. As far a I know a base has to have a management presence, like a chief pilot or ops manager, so how were and are they getting around that.
That being said, as you pointed out when the port is up and running, the clock starts ticking which means it will cost them money which then means its days are likely numbered.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:43 pm Not trying to be a pessimist but why did WestJet close their ports?
Flair is not reinventing the wheel, they are repeating what other companies have tried in the past, I thought the multi base thing was a great idea and wondered how they were doing it. As far a I know a base has to have a management presence, like a chief pilot or ops manager, so how were and are they getting around that.
That being said, as you pointed out when the port is up and running, the clock starts ticking which means it will cost them money which then means its days are likely numbered.
I'm not an expert on Westjet, and even the people I know there only have theories on why they cancelled their port system. The one main event that sealed the deal was a massive winter storm that trapped enough yyz commuters away from their port and forced the cancellation of a massive number of flights that the company said enough is enough. I'm actually really surprised that WS ALPA didn't make fighting for the port system a top priority on the most recent cba, my understanding is that the crews loved it, but it's their world...

As for F8 and ports, I have no idea what the system will look like. I believe that current YOW pilots will have to accept a YYZ base and will be given priority on the port of their choice or either YOW, or YUL, and will the be able to bid on pairings that either begin or end (or both) in YOW. For F8's business model, this will save the company money by not having to pay for hotels and pre-diems for crews operating out of those ports. Not paying hotel and pre-diem costs is a cornerstone of the ULCC model that zero other companies in Canada claiming to be ULCC's have followed.

Obviously there are no guarantees, but I don't think the days are numbered at all, but time will tell. As for a CP in each base, I've never heard of this. We have a western and an eastern assistant CP, and well as tbaylx who answer to the Prairie and Northern TC office, and ultimately Ottawa TC.

unionism101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by unionism101 »

co-joe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:11 am
cdnavater wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:43 pm Not trying to be a pessimist but why did WestJet close their ports?
I'm not an expert on Westjet, and even the people I know there only have theories on why they cancelled their port system. The one main event that sealed the deal was a massive winter storm that trapped enough yyz commuters away from their port and forced the cancellation of a massive number of flights that the company said enough is enough. I'm actually really surprised that WS ALPA didn't make fighting for the port system a top priority on the most recent cba, my understanding is that the crews loved it, but it's their world...

As for F8 and ports, I have no idea what the system will look like. I believe that current YOW pilots will have to accept a YYZ base and will be given priority on the port of their choice or either YOW, or YUL, and will the be able to bid on pairings that either begin or end (or both) in YOW. For F8's business model, this will save the company money by not having to pay for hotels and pre-diems for crews operating out of those ports. Not paying hotel and pre-diem costs is a cornerstone of the ULCC model that zero other companies in Canada claiming to be ULCC's have followed.

Obviously there are no guarantees, but I don't think the days are numbered at all, but time will tell. As for a CP in each base, I've never heard of this. We have a western and an eastern assistant CP, and well as tbaylx who answer to the Prairie and Northern TC office, and ultimately Ottawa TC.
Your obsession with company costs is concerning

Pilots costs do not make or break a company. Particularly when demand greatly exceeds capacity

Managers sink airlines...not pilots

Return to “Flair Airlines”