Employee Travel - STBY with pets

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Employee Travel - STBY with pets

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the rules to travel stand-by with a pet on AC when you're using Employee Passes. I know some small animals can travel in the cabin.

Long story short: My really good buddy had asked me if I can bring his dog from Europe to Canada (he had to stay here longer than anticipated), next time I'm there. It's a fox terrier dog. I think he's a little too big for the cabin and to be honest, I don't like pets in the aircraft. Never did and they should never be with passengers (Guide dogs excluded).

So the question is:
Can we "check-in" a crate with a dog when flying stand-by?

---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Employee Travel - STBY with pets

Post by Eric Janson »

Why not keep it simple?

Your friend ships the dog as normal cargo and you collect it on arrival.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:06 am Why not keep it simple?

You're looking at about 1500 CAD for shipping and likely another 700 to 1500 CAD in brokerage fees, depending on if you can pick it up at the port of entry yourself or not.

Travelling with your dog in cabin or as checked in luggage should be significantly cheaper.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Are you an employee? There's a "Travelling With Your Pet" link on the homepage of the employee travel site..

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

digits_ wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:40 am

You're looking at about 1500 CAD for shipping and likely another 700 to 1500 CAD in brokerage fees, depending on if you can pick it up at the port of entry yourself or not.

Travelling with your dog in cabin or as checked in luggage should be significantly cheaper.
Not if you're an employee. Cargo is dirt cheap.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:38 am
digits_ wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:40 am

Not if you're an employee. Cargo is dirt cheap.
It was my understanding that the dog owner was not an employee. If you're shipping animals across borders, quite some government agencies are quite fussy about who's paying, who the owner is and who's listed on the dog/vet paperwork. I think you might be inviting some customs trouble if the employee gets involved using his personal discount for another person's dog via cargo.

It's different if you're physically present with the dog, then any questions can easily be answered. It's my understanding that when you ship live animals via cargo, all those possible questions need to be answered in advance. If it's an unusual situation, even though perhaps technically legal, it might raise some red flags and cause unnecessary trouble.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
IslandChuckle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IslandChuckle »

bob99 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:00 am Are you an employee? There's a "Travelling With Your Pet" link on the homepage of the employee travel site..
Do you know if this same policy applies to RJP from another airline? I don’t see anything in our agreement. Curious if I can take a puppy for a friend on my commute to work as PETC.

Return to “Air Canada”