• C208 CA = $43000

New 2023 agreement
FCM Annual Base Salaries will be as follows:
• B190 CA = $64000
• B190 FO = $32500
• C208 CA = $42000

FCM Per Diems**
All FCM’s will receive per diems as follows:
• No per diem for first four hours away from home base.
• $3.45 per hour for hours in excess of four (4) hours, up to a maximum of $69.00 per day

Bond:
FIFTEEN THOUSAND, SEVEN HUNDRED. NINETY Canadian Dollars (CAD $15,790.00)
The Trainee agrees to pay SkyLink Express Inc. all legal fees incurred for the enforcement of any of the provisions of this Agreement

All new hires shall be paid a flat training allowance of $305/week until line indoc is complete (or the first revenue flight for FOs);. The training allowance shall max out at $1,540.99.

$305/week / 40 hours a week = $7.62 / hour

What's the point of paying union dues to negotiate lower wages, paying company legal fees and half minimum wage training pay?

UPS parcel driver's paid more than these pilots.

What about the record profits by these companies?

UPS reports record profit
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/31/investin ... index.html
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: SkyLink pilot union takes pay cut & b scale

Post by digits_ »

Lol. Is this real? :shock:

Guess they must have dropped their experience requirements to 200 hours for FOs and 201 for captains? :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I really hope this is a joke. I was making more than that doing the same kind of work back in 2014 and we were underpaid back then! Skylink just needs to disappear. They’ve always paid absolute trash but somehow manage to find people.

M.Caribou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M.Caribou »

That just seems too ridiculous to be true. There must be some sort of hourly or trip bonus.

Do these guys have a certified GPS on board yet?!? Recall them filing airways everywhere and unable most arrivals.....

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

M.Caribou wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:03 am That just seems too ridiculous to be true. There must be some sort of hourly or trip bonus.
No hourly bonus, mileage or trip bonus

There's $14 per block of flights for FO, and $28 per block of flights for capt

"FCM Flight Ops Day Pay is provided whenever a FCM operates at least one Company flight of a daily scheduled assignment, excluding all training-related flights. For clarity, the intention is to pay only one defined stipend (i.e. 28 dollars for a B1900 Captain) for any assignment, even if it bridges two calendar dates.

Examples of application of the FCM Daily Flight Pay:

"B1900 operating from YHM on UPS AM route, then later same day returns to YHM on UPS PM route. B190 Capt would receive $28 and a B190 FO would receive $14.

"B1900 operates from YHM on UPS AM route but is disrupted in PM and returns early next AM to YHM. B190 Capt would still receive $28 and a B190 FO would receive $14.

"C208 flight departs YVR on UPS AM ops covering 2 return flights to YYJ. C208 Capt would receive $23.

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

There isn't extra pay in the agreement for pilots loading and unloading the aircraft with packages.
  • Must be able to lift 5000 lbs unassisted
or 100 lifts of 50 lbs

Wasn't there a pilot who had issues lifting a few years ago?

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

Here come the industry leading contracts!!!!

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Geez - just when you thought they couldn't get any worse. Although (and I'm completely spitballing here) - I suspect this is because they want to keep the UPS contract - and if past experience is right - they haven't gotten a raise from UPS since they took over the contract. UPS is notorious for not raising their rates....so cuts have to happen.

Of course - if the contracted companies would just do proper business then companies like UPS would have to raise their rates sometimes.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

What about those currently on property? What's the new "A-scale"

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

flyingjerry wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:14 pm What about those currently on property? What's the new "A-scale"
The A pilots had a small increase:

• B190 CA = $67500
• B190 FO = $34000
• C208 CA = $43000

B pilots:

• B190 CA = $64000
• B190 FO = $32500
• C208 CA = $42000

There isn't a published scale in the contract. It doesn't increase, other than 2%.

Company doesn't pay for jackets, boots, gloves or other gear necessary to load planes in the winter.

ARTICLE 28 - PILOT DRESS CODE/UNIFORMS

28.1 Unifor Lapel Pin may be optionally worn if provided by the Union.
28.2 The Company will provide, reflective vests and ear plugs, at no cost to the FCM.

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

Unifor Local 2002 is pleased to announce that our pilot members at SkyLink Express have ratified their first collective agreement. Ratification meetings were held on March 29th and 30th with 59.3% voting in favour of accepting the agreement.

Agreement:
https://www.unifor2002.org/UNF/files/51 ... 598fdd.pdf

Union dues shall be 1.35% of a worker's regular wage with respect to regularly scheduled hours.

Stable_Approach
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stable_Approach »

CanadaAir wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:01 am Unifor Local 2002 is pleased to announce that our pilot members at SkyLink Express have ratified their first collective agreement. Ratification meetings were held on March 29th and 30th with 59.3% voting in favour of accepting the agreement.

Agreement:
https://www.unifor2002.org/UNF/files/51 ... 598fdd.pdf

Union dues shall be 1.35% of a worker's regular wage with respect to regularly scheduled hours.
The contract was for existing captains on property most of whom have left. Not sure why they unionized with most pilots moving on within 18 months. Perhaps they didn’t anticipate industry movement as previous to that ppl were sticking around for a few years.

Uniform? Hoodie and sweatpants. Safety vest provided.

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

This is truly hard to believe.

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

Or is it a stroke of genius by the negotiating committee?

Get a sh!t deal, leave for a better job, and make it likely that fewer people will apply in the future, thus upping the chances that the employer will up WAWCON in order to fill seats to complete contracts…

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Honestly, what type of pilot is taking a job at SkyLink in today's hiring market? I feel the same way about pilots who work at SkyLink as I do about those who stayed on with "Pivot" after Air Georgian closed up shop - that is to say, there has to be something significantly wrong with either your personality or your resumé for you to get stuck working at this kind of outfit, given that basically every airline in the country is hiring.

If I was involved in the hiring department at any large 705 operator in Canada, seeing previous employment at these kinds of companies would be a major red flag in a candidate.

Stable_Approach
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stable_Approach »

Cavalier44 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:58 pm Honestly, what type of pilot is taking a job at SkyLink in today's hiring market? I feel the same way about pilots who work at SkyLink as I do about those who stayed on with "Pivot" after Air Georgian closed up shop - that is to say, there has to be something significantly wrong with either your personality or your resumé for you to get stuck working at this kind of outfit, given that basically every airline in the country is hiring.

If I was involved in the hiring department at any large 705 operator in Canada, seeing previous employment at these kinds of companies would be a major red flag in a candidate.
What an arrogant comment. Fortunately for the industry, you have not been chosen to look after hiring at any company and I hope it stays that way. Hopefully no one will have to endure long flights with the likes of you. God help them if they do. Imagine thinking you know anything about of group of your peers because of the company they work for. You don’t know squat about anyone or their situation heck you don’t even know how to conduct yourself professionally.

But to answer your question, pilots coming into Skylink are mostly sub-1000 hour getting left seat turbine time with less than 1000 hours and are rapidly recruited by the companies such as Porter, Jazz, AC, Transat, Westjet, Sunwing, Flair, Lynx and Cargojet. So you’re saying you’re better than all those recruiters? Instead of hating on a group you don’t know maybe work on your attitude some cause you just nasty and bitter.

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

Stable_Approach wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:26 pm
Cavalier44 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:58 pm Honestly, what type of pilot is taking a job at SkyLink in today's hiring market? I feel the same way about pilots who work at SkyLink as I do about those who stayed on with "Pivot" after Air Georgian closed up shop - that is to say, there has to be something significantly wrong with either your personality or your resumé for you to get stuck working at this kind of outfit, given that basically every airline in the country is hiring.

What an arrogant comment. Fortunately for the industry, you have not been chosen to look after hiring at any company and I hope it stays that way. Hopefully no one will have to endure long flights with the likes of you. God help them if they do. Imagine thinking you know anything about of group of your peers because of the company they work for. You don’t know squat about anyone or their situation heck you don’t even know how to conduct yourself professionally.

But to answer your question, pilots coming into Skylink are mostly sub-1000 hour getting left seat turbine time with less than 1000 hours and are rapidly recruited by the companies such as Porter, Jazz, AC, Transat, Westjet, Sunwing, Flair, Lynx and Cargojet. So you’re saying you’re better than all those recruiters? Instead of hating on a group you don’t know maybe work on your attitude some cause you just nasty and bitter.
Watch out you’re going to be blacklisted by the Hold the Liners for Daring to have a different opinion.

How dare you have a different opinion than gods gift to pilots? 😂😂

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Stable_Approach wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:26 pm What an arrogant comment. Fortunately for the industry, you have not been chosen to look after hiring at any company and I hope it stays that way. Hopefully no one will have to endure long flights with the likes of you. God help them if they do. Imagine thinking you know anything about of group of your peers because of the company they work for. You don’t know squat about anyone or their situation heck you don’t even know how to conduct yourself professionally.

Wow, looks like I struck a nerve. Contrary to what you say, I'm neither nasty, nor arrogant, nor bitter. I simply have an opinion of the aviation industry that is as follows: there are good companies to work for in this country, and there are bad companies to work for. We as an industry have a pretty good idea, collectively, of which is which.

Good companies are those that treat their pilots with respect and pay them a wage that is commensurate with the responsibility that they hold. They operate to the highest standards of safety, in part by rigid compliance with TC regulations, but also by fostering a culture among their pilots that stresses the importance of complying with established procedures, including SOPs. They maintain their aircraft and ensure that pilots feel encouraged to report defects as they occur so that they can be rectified.

Bad companies treat their pilots poorly - they pay them as little as they can get away with, some going so far as to cut pilot salaries in the middle of the most severe pilot shortage that this country has seen. These are companies that skimp on maintenance and are known for flying around broken airplanes, or for cancelling flights for maintenance issues that should have been avoidable. Some of these companies operate in contravention of regulations, whether it be by knowingly flying overweight, or by busting minimums to "get the job done".

My contention is simple - every pilot aspires to work for a company that is known as a reputable, good employer, and generally wants to avoid working for a disreputable, poor employer that treats them badly. Personally, I don't believe that "well, I was just a sub-1000 hour pilot trying to get my hours in before going somewhere else" is valid reasoning to accept employment at a company that abuses oneself. I believe that accepting employment with these kinds of companies degrades the industry by allowing these companies to continue to survive and do business while taking advantage of their pilots, thereby encouraging them to continue with these business practices.

And finally, if I had the choice between two pilots, one of which had the self-respect and professionalism to reject employment at a disreputable employer, and one who was willing to accept employment there out of convenience or a desire to build hours, I would choose the former. Before you start worrying about all the poor pilots at my airline who have to tolerate a dreaded long flight with me, I'd advise you to consider that most of them likely share the same opinions that I do.

Last edited by Cavalier44 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happyflyer78
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Happyflyer78 »

Cavalier44 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:52 pm
Stable_Approach wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:26 pm What an arrogant comment. Fortunately for the industry, you have not been chosen to look after hiring at any company and I hope it stays that way. Hopefully no one will have to endure long flights with the likes of you. God help them if they do. Imagine thinking you know anything about of group of your peers because of the company they work for. You don’t know squat about anyone or their situation heck you don’t even know how to conduct yourself professionally.

Wow, looks like I struck a nerve. Contrary to what you say, I'm neither nasty, nor arrogant, nor bitter. I simply have an opinion of the aviation industry that is as follows: there are good companies to work for in this country, and there are bad companies to work for. We as an industry have a pretty good idea, collectively, of which is which.

Good companies are those that treat their pilots with respect and pay them a wage that is commensurate with the responsibility that they hold. They operate to the highest standards of safety, in part by rigid compliance with TC regulations, but also by fostering a culture among their pilots that stresses the importance of complying with established procedures, including SOPs. They maintain their aircraft and ensure that pilots feel encouraged to report defects as they occur so that they can be rectified.

Bad companies treat their pilots poorly - they pay them as little as they can get away with, some going so far as to cut pilot salaries in the middle of the most severe pilot shortage that this country has seen. These are companies that skimp on maintenance and are known for flying around broken airplanes, or for cancelling flights for maintenance issues that should have been avoidable. Some of these companies operate in contravention of regulations, whether it be by knowingly flying overweight, or by busting minimums to "get the job done".

My contention is simple - every pilot aspires to work for a company that is known as a reputable, good employer, and generally wants to avoid working for a disreputable, poor employer that treats them badly. Personally, I don't believe that "well, I was just a sub-1000 hour pilot trying to get my hours in before going somewhere else" is valid reasoning to accept employment at a company that abuses them. I believe that accepting employment with these kinds of companies degrades the industry by allowing these companies to continue to survive and do business while taking advantage of their pilots, thereby encouraging them to continue with these business practices.

And finally, if I had the choice between two pilots, one of which had the self-respect and professionalism to reject employment at a disreputable employer, and one who was willing to accept employment there out of convenience or a desire to build hours, I would choose the former. Before you start worrying about all the poor pilots at my airline who have to tolerate a dreaded long flight with me, I'd advise you to consider that most of them likely share the same opinions that I do.
There’s no pilot shortage! If 705 operators aren’t offering positions to experienced King Air Captains there’s no shortage.

Red_Comet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Red_Comet »

I love the 90s feel of this forum, with trolls (like accountant) and everything :lol: Takes me back...

Anyway, it seems likely that this in response to the cargo business experiencing a slowdown. As stated above, UPS may be playing hardball with their contractors. It seems crazy to me that you'd pay someone below poverty wages to operate a multi-million dollar aircraft. If anything, the fact that they know they can get away with this speaks volumes to the capability and talent of new pilots who take these positions. I'm assuming, like back in the day, they're treating this as an "internship" before they move on to greener pastures.

I doubt they can maintain this long term however, as the boomer pilot retirement surge is currently underway and there just isn't a training pipeline producing enough pilots to replace them. This is definitely a short-term stopgap before these companies raise rates or leave planes parked indefinitely.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”