Can you get approved for a cat 3 medical if you take a psychostimulant to treat ADHD?

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Dave1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can you get approved for a cat 3 medical if you take a psychostimulant to treat ADHD?

Post by Dave1 »

Hello all, I went to get my Cat 3 medical for my ppl recently, however I have ADHD, and I take a prescribed psychostimulant for it. I was wondering if anyone has ADHD and took medication for it and got approved?
Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Can you get approved for a cat 3 medical if you take a psychostimulant to treat ADHD?

Post by hithere »

The medication used to treat ADHD are prohibited by Transport Canada when it comes to licencing. You will have to come off the meds and be asymptomatic(for ADHD) for a couple of months before TC will look at you for a medical. If you require the meds to function in daily life you will unfortunately need to look at other career options

Firemed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Can you get approved for a cat 3 medical if you take a psychostimulant to treat ADHD?

Post by Firemed »

Along this same topic, my daughter is trying to get her aviation medical done before college.
What does she need to do for the ADHD side? Just go off her meds and schedule the neuropsych exam? Or does she need to be documented by her doctor that her medication prescription has been cancelled?

Want to get this right from the start but cannot find the info anywhere.

TIA

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

I'm not sure what you mean by a "neuropsych exam". I think the FAA may require that for ADHD applicants. But TC usually only requires those of applicants with TBI(Traumatic Brain Injuries). For ADHD all TC really want to know is the applicant has been off meds for at least 6 months and shows no signs of deficit/impairment. It would be extremely beneficial if they had a supporting report from a psychiatrist.

Return to “Health & Fitness”