Northern operator as a first job?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Tubkal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Northern operator as a first job?

Post by Tubkal »

I’m thinking of heading north and drop my resume around. Which operators have historically hired newbies for FO and/or ramp to flight positions? I’m particularly interested on turboprop medevac ops (Keewatin, Air Tindi…).
---------- ADS -----------

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Northern operator as a first job?

Post by pild04 »

Tubkal wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:09 am I’m thinking of heading north and drop my resume around. Which operators have historically hired newbies for FO and/or ramp to flight positions? I’m particularly interested on turboprop medevac ops (Keewatin, Air Tindi…).
Keewatin's current contracts require 500 hours minimum. Not sure about Air Tindi Medevac, but they will hire you on a ramp/FO rotational position on the Twin Otter/ King Air at 200/250(not sure)

bueno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bueno »

Go for it. It will probably be the most fun job you ever have. Tindi and Keewatin sound like solid options. Wasaya or Superior have good progression within the company too. Canwest in Alberta has a good government medevac contract for the next 5 years or so, they have good equipment and hire a fair amount right from flight school. Northwright would be good too if you want the northern experience. Don't know how much low time hiring they do but there would be good progression with their diverse fleet

busdriver010
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by busdriver010 »

I currently am with North Star air and working on the ground. I can definitely say it’s great here with good work ethics and working conditions subject to you being able to survive the cold depending on which base you get. The ground to flight takes about a year subject to movement but no FOs being hired outside thus the ground to flight list is being honoured. Currently, we have stopped hiring but will resume in March.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

busdriver010 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:55 pm I currently am with North Star air and working on the ground. I can definitely say it’s great here with good work ethics and working conditions subject to you being able to survive the cold depending on which base you get. The ground to flight takes about a year subject to movement but no FOs being hired outside thus the ground to flight list is being honoured. Currently, we have stopped hiring but will resume in March.
Being a FO at Northstar sure sound like an adventure. You never know when you might have to hike, swim, or snowshoe back to the terminal building.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Get your instructor rating and go to the airline asap. 1500 hr instructors are getting hired at westjet, transat, flair and other airlines. Airlines are fun, you get paid more, work less, and get travel benefits. You could use those to go explore the north on your many days off.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:04 am 1500 hr instructors are getting hired at westjet, transat, flair and other airlines.
This is simply not true

Me262
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Me262 »

Turboprops wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:39 am
canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:04 am 1500 hr instructors are getting hired at westjet, transat, flair and other airlines.
This is simply not true
I think it is. I know several who got hired directly from flight school as soon as they got their ATPL strictly from being an instructor on the above companies as an FO on NB jet

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

Me262 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:43 am
This is simply not true
I think it is. I know several who got hired directly from flight school as soon as they got their ATPL strictly from being an instructor on the above companies as an FO on NB jet
Yea what do I know, sitting through westjet ground school while a bunch of my friends joined transat and flair, none of us saw someone with pure flight instruction background doesn’t mean anything I guess.
Now i’ll admit flair did hire a few instructors back in 2022, but first of all they’re not hiring at the moment, secondly that was only a span of few months and they quickly put a stop to that.
You do you man, just know that if at any point the music slows down, your C172 hours is gonna look like a pile of nothing vs candidates with 703/4 turbine time.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

This is simply not true
Oh, but it is. Of course not all flight instructors would get hired, but certain ones are. Airline hiring is a mystery.
Again, imagine being at a company on the ground when flying slows down. Suddenly, they don’t need pilots and their current pilots are now staying. No room to move up, so a year could turn into multiple years of not flying.

scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:04 am Get your instructor rating and go to the airline asap. 1500 hr instructors are getting hired at westjet, transat, flair and other airlines. Airlines are fun, you get paid more, work less, and get travel benefits. You could use those to go explore the north on your many days off.
Don't EVER discourage anyone from getting northern charter/medevac experience with a reputable operator. Some of the most valuable experience in my career was spent up north and it pays off in spades in the flight deck of an airliner. When it comes to decision-making and problem solving, particularly when dealing with a situation not covered by SOP, it's very obvious who the crews are that have that experience to fall back on.

The largest learning curve (and humbling) of my entire career was going from the structured environment of instructing, to flying a Navajo single-pilot for a northern 703.

The flight deck of an airliner is NOT the place for a teacher-student (or babysitting) environment, but two experienced colleagues who work efficiently together.

Tubkal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tubkal »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:04 am Get your instructor rating and go to the airline asap. 1500 hr instructors are getting hired at westjet, transat, flair and other airlines. Airlines are fun, you get paid more, work less, and get travel benefits. You could use those to go explore the north on your many days off.
Nope. I have no desire to become a flight instructor. There are already too many FI out there that clearly have no interest on the job other than building PIC time. I don’t want to be one of them. During my flight training, my worst memories was flying with people that they were elsewhere mentally, dreaming about that airline job… Also… I already have travel benefits, and visited the north many times using them ;)

Me262
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Me262 »

Tubkal wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:09 am I’m thinking of heading north and drop my resume around. Which operators have historically hired newbies for FO and/or ramp to flight positions? I’m particularly interested on turboprop medevac ops (Keewatin, Air Tindi…).
Hard to say without mentioning your hours (TT, PIC, ME)

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:23 pm
This is simply not true
Oh, but it is. Of course not all flight instructors would get hired, but certain ones are. Airline hiring is a mystery.
Again, imagine being at a company on the ground when flying slows down. Suddenly, they don’t need pilots and their current pilots are now staying. No room to move up, so a year could turn into multiple years of not flying.
Well DM me the name of one person, just one, that got hired at Westjet mainline with pure flight instruction background. I’m genuinely curious because as I said, I didn’t think we’ve had any flight instructor that came straight here.

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

https://flygenesis.ca/commercial-pilot- ... t-program/

They seem to have skipped the instructor part.

white_on_red
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by white_on_red »

bueno wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:46 am Northwright would be good too if you want the northern experience. Don't know how much low time hiring they do but there would be good progression with their diverse fleet
I've worked for Northwright for a while. Like any other company, it has pros and cons but overall it's a good place to gain experience. We hire ground to flight with as little as 200 hrs and a CPL. Whether you arrive with 200hrs or 500hrs you'll ramp just the same. Ramp wait time ranges from 6-12 months. On par with most northern operators these days... Only difference is the ramp work is lighter than most.

Progression ranges depending on work-ethic. work hard, get cool opportunities. If you're lazy, you'll fly some but you won't get everything you want.

By the way; Our main offices are in Norman Wells. Dropping off your resume might be tough unless you like a 17 hour drive from Yellowknife Via ice road. If you go through Yellowknife, drop it off at our hangar with the check-in agents. We'll hand it to the chief for you.

PM if you want more info

Can Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Can Pilot »

My info is dated but I'd give Perimeter a try as well. I'm not sure if they still do ramp to flight line but it was great experience. Especially on the metro.

Z28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Z28 »

Any info on Skycare out of Sioux Lookout? How are they in terms of schedule , pay , ?

Z28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Z28 »

Any info on Skycare out of Sioux Lookout? How are they in terms of schedule , pay , ?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Tubkal wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:45 am
Nope. I have no desire to become a flight instructor. There are already too many FI out there that clearly have no interest on the job other than building PIC time. I don’t want to be one of them. During my flight training, my worst memories was flying with people that they were elsewhere mentally, dreaming about that airline job… Also… I already have travel benefits, and visited the north many times using them ;)
That's a very good move for your career! You will gain so much experience and have a ton of fun flying up north. You get to see some truly amazing parts of the world that not many people get to experience. I miss it some days honestly.

I think that guy above was trolling a little bit, getting straight to a major airline with only instruction time is a bit of a stretch. It was a long time ago, but when I was at the regionals, instructors couldn't even pass a sim ride, their IFR was so bad.

Return to “Employment Forum”