WestJet VS CargoJet

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PittBoss
Rank 1
Rank 1

WestJet VS CargoJet

Post by PittBoss »

I have an offer from CargoJet now and WestJet both. Kind of confused what to select. WestJet is a big name but CargoJet puts me on a widebody.

What would you guys select?
---------- ADS -----------

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: WestJet VS CargoJet

Post by Tbayer2021 »

PittBoss wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:29 pm I have an offer from CargoJet now and WestJet both. Kind of confused what to select. WestJet is a big name but CargoJet puts me on a widebody.

Would you say no to Delta if they were offering you the 737 just because Kalitta is offering you the 747?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Which company offers the better schedule and career income potential? Don't chase tin, chase lifestyle.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

How do you feel about working on the back side of your circadian rhythm?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Not much glamour in flying a widebody when Cargojet pays their captains less than WJ pay their FOs.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

PittBoss wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:29 pm I have an offer from CargoJet now and WestJet both. Kind of confused what to select. WestJet is a big name but CargoJet puts me on a widebody.

This next quote is you on another thread that you started, if you want widebody AC would be a far better choice than cargojet.
PittBoss wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:50 am Not able to wrap my head around looking for an answer. I've seen people getting pull towards AC like super magnets. I would agree if you with some random airlines but WESTJET mainline to AC. JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND. :roll:
I’m starting to wonder if you’re not trolling, Cargojet has no growth plans, just cancelled their 777 orders and is going to be back of the clock flying.
Why would any pilot choose Cargojet over Westjet but criticize someone for choosing to go to AC from WJ?

lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

It sounds like one job is chasing metal and the other is chasing a mainline? Both offer completely different types of flying with different pros and cons that are probably best suited to whatever your lifestyle is. If you haven't had the pleasure of working night shifts yet that can be a big adjustment, and not necessarily in a good way. Do you like travel benefits on your days off? Probably not going to get those flying amazon packages. What base are you being offered? Consider what your commute and cost of living will be. If you're a young guy you might just like the 'Heavy' after your callsign but where do you want to be in 10 years if you're married and have kids etc.? Just a few questions to ask yourself when deciding what company will best match your goals going forward.

Stable_Approach
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stable_Approach »

Westjet, no comparison. Better pay, better lifestyle, better benefits, better schedule, better job security. You will sit longer right seat but you'll still financially come ahead.

Global logistics including air freight is wrecked right now. I don't see it improving for at least 18 more months.

As others have said don't chase tin. Chase lifestyle.

Stable_Approach
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stable_Approach »

Stable_Approach wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:29 am Westjet, no comparison. Better pay, better lifestyle, better benefits, better schedule, better job security, commuter friendly. You will sit longer right seat but you'll still financially come ahead.

Global logistics including air freight is wrecked right now. I don't see it improving for at least 18 more months.

As others have said don't chase tin. Chase lifestyle.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I'd go WestJet. Think company, not aeroplane.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

While being Captain isn’t everything that has to factor into the equation. How long to a left seat for those hired today? 15 years?

That right seat is going to feel uncomfortable after a decade.

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

Obvious choice is WestJet. You’ll be unhappy at Cargojet, no widebody is worth it.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Hangry wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:40 pm While being Captain isn’t everything that has to factor into the equation. How long to a left seat for those hired today? 15 years?

That right seat is going to feel uncomfortable after a decade.
If you're putting upgrade times over longterm income and quality of life, then Cargojet is the obvious choice. I don't understand people with this mindset though. I think of the many Swoop Captain's who couldn't bear to sit right seat at WestJet with captain pay, so they leave for another unnamed company... Only for some of them to be left jobless 4 months later. Four bar syndrome is a thing. To each their own.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Chase the metal. You’ll be happier cuz yours is bigger.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”