Page 1 of 1
Float course and block time for holidays
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:09 am
by stallie
hi all, I was going to post this in the 50 hours course thread but there was a bit of angst there, and it's not really what I am after.
Wishing to come to canada next summer (june-ish) and do a float course. Am aware of the 7 hour course requirement, which I could put on my Canadian PPl after its conversion from my Aussie ATPL.
What I would then like to do is hire the aircraft to fly around the lakes in north and central Canada with me (80kg) and mrs stallie (55kg). I was thinking about hiring the aircraft for about $5000 worth of block time.
We envisage flying into remote lakes, staying at forestry huts or camping (yes know about the bears) for much of the time. We would like to fly into some remote picturesque places, over about a 4 week period.
So for the questions:
1. Any recommendations on where to do the course?
2. Any recommendations on aircraft?
3. Any recommendations on where to hire a floatplane for block time?
4. Must see sights on such a flying tour Canada, and recommended places to visit.
Thanks in advance.
Stallie

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:21 pm
by FQRZ
Check your Private messages
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:27 pm
by FQRZ
Courtenay flight center in BC offers a 50hour course on the west coast. They have a Cessna 180 and could take you to places like Hot Spring Cove a wonderful place. And other places that you’d like. Give them a call 250-338-9814 and ask to speak to Jim. Brad is the float pilot for the company.
Have a fun trip
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:48 pm
by ahramin
Jim is a super guy with lots of experience. He runs a great company.
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:39 pm
by stallie
Thanks for the heads up - perhaps I should also add that the $4000 is for private hire of the aircraft - we don't really want to share the romance of a secluded lake with anyone else!

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:55 pm
by Quagmire
From the way I'm reading your post Stallie, you want to do the float course then rent out the plane and fly around PIC. I doubt you'll find a place that will rent you out a float plane without at least 50 hours in a float plane. So you'll most likely have to have an experienced float pilot tag along.
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:13 pm
by Ralliart
Last time I heard, Jim at Courtenay Flight Center will rent the 180 after 15 hrs assuming the person is proficient and checked out by one of his float pilots.
place to go
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:48 am
by DriftWood
That company is great. Good places to check out is the truner lake area in Tweedsmuir park. About 52 15 by 125 45. Theres a water fall there that is one of the largest in Norht America. Check it out on B.C. parks web page. This is also a good place to investigate places to see. And if you were to charter the plane from Jim you could see all the west coast which is probably the best to check out. Have fun.
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:14 pm
by stallie
Thanks guys....yes - do the course then hire it out as PIC.
Will contact Courtenay, and will keep searching!
Stallie
Echo, echo, echo echo.....~!
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:39 pm
by c_172pilot
Hey what a way to spend a vaction! I would love to do that. Meybey one day I will come over the british ilses and do a type check out in a tiger moth. Anyway Tom at Parallel Aviation in campbell river has a great float course. There is a C-172 and a C-180, the 172 is cheaper on the hourly rate so it might make better sense. You can read about Parallel in Plane and Pilot or drop by the website
http://www.parallelaviation.com
tell em c_172pilot sent ya!
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:10 am
by Bush2Long
winnipeg aviation has a 172 they rent out for long periods of time with minimal dual time. I have run into a couple of people that did the same thing as your planning. the nice thing about manitoba is it is central canada, lakes all over the place, flat terrain, lodges everywhere, plenty of riversss, and friendly people. Good luck.
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:04 pm
by stallie
Thanks!
I did email Winnipeg Flying Club? (WFC in an case) but no reply - nor any from parallel aviation.
Ah well, if they don't want my business I'll take it elsewhere
I'll try winnipeg aviation now.
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:23 pm
by mikegtzg
And Winnipeg Aviation uses a 180 HP '74 172 with a seaplane prop that really performs well. 2 people and gear effortlessly. (I trained on this aircraft)
This is great area of Canada to fly floats as well. Plenty of places to get fuel and you'll never run out of new places to go.