Waterproof sat phones

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:25 pm
Location: left coast

Waterproof sat phones

Post by 2R »

Does anyone know if a pocket sized waterproof sat phone is available ???

Price and delivery ???


My handheld GPS is waterproof ,what about a phone ???
be even better if i could get a waterproof GPS with a phone all in one

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------
 
Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 380
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:28 pm
Contact:

Post by Over the Horn »

what ever you do don't buy global star they never work when you need them!!! :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
 
chicken hawk
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:51 pm
Location: Mainstreet, Anytown

Post by chicken hawk »

I agree, don't waste your money on a sat phone. The service with Globalstar is terrible. If you are lucky enough to acquire signal, it had better be a quick conversation.

Are there any other companies/service providers that offer better service?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:14 pm
Location: Canada

Post by chipmunk »

chicken hawk wrote: Are there any other companies/service providers that offer better service?
Iridium.

And the only waterproofing I know of are plastic bags, sorry!

My company's just converted the fleet from the traditional Iridium phones to a fancy schmancy new system that is a combination sat tracking and sat phone that also does email, but I'm not sure of the actual provider. I think it's SkyTrac, out of Kelowna - not sure if they use the Iridium network - I don't have a manual with me now. Anyhow, it works like a charm and the folks on the ground can see our position overlayed on Google Earth - very accurate.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Torn
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:35 pm

Post by Torn »

Globalstar should be a lot better soon. I read on the internet that they are adding a bunch more satellites to their constellation Their new phone looks pretty cool. It even has Ev-Do. Check it out: http://www.globalstar.ca/en/gsp1700/features.php

Also, can't go wrong with a Iridium but I think the cost per min on them is quite a bit more.

I don't think their is such a thing as a waterproof sat phone. Not that ive seen anyways. However, a pelican case 1150 would b ideal.
---------- ADS -----------
 
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 pm
Location: The Dog House

Post by snoopy »

Iridium is the best sat phone out there - it works everywhere. You can buy a waterproof Pelican case to put it in. Globalstar is usually about half the price of an Iridium, and it works half as often - you get what you pay for.
Cheers,
Snoopy
---------- ADS -----------
 
“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”