Cross Winds....are they a mystery?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Cross Winds....are they a mystery?

Post by Doc »

These have to be rumors right? A top aviation college limiting students to five knot cross winds? They can get signed off for fifteen knots, but that lapses as they seem to forget how to fly, over time. Instructors, if your students can't handle a cross wind (assuming they can fly solo) of more than five knots, you should all be canned! YOU are doing something wrong in your instructing! Teach....that's what they pay you to do. I know, I'm going to get slagged for this. These guys fly low wing aircraft.....lets solve the mystery of the dreaded cross wind!
This is why Cat advocates taking some tail wheel time....so you know why God gave you hands and feet?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Crazymax
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 am

Re: Cross Winds....are they a mystery?

Post by Crazymax »

Doc wrote:These have to be rumors right? A top aviation college limiting students to five knot cross winds? They can get signed off for fifteen knots, but that lapses as they seem to forget how to fly, over time. Instructors, if your students can't handle a cross wind (assuming they can fly solo) of more than five knots, you should all be canned! YOU are doing something wrong in your instructing! Teach....that's what they pay you to do. I know, I'm going to get slagged for this. These guys fly low wing aircraft.....lets solve the mystery of the dreaded cross wind!
This is why Cat advocates taking some tail wheel time....so you know why God gave you hands and feet?
Doc, on PFT (Primary Flight Training, in the Canadian Forces) we are restricted to 5 kts cross wind at all time for solo. As the traning progresses, we are allowed in bigger x-wind. It's not a big deal to re-check a student just to make sure he is still ok for x-wind (yes, you do forget how to do stuff if you don't practice it) and make sure he won't wreck a plane. I don't see what's wrong with this. As long as they practice in big enought crosswind with or without instructor, it shouldn't make a difference.

Max
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: ON

Post by Tango01 »

We're building vaginas, not pilots.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Timing is everything.
Crazymax
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 am

Post by Crazymax »

Tango01 wrote:We're building vaginas, not pilots.
Define "we"

max
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Doc, when I owned a flight school twenty years ago this problem with teaching X/wind landings had already started to be an issue so I put a J3 Cub on line with the intention of starting all new students on the Cub until they were ready for solo.

It did not work out due to resistance to training on a tail wheel airplane from a lot of my instructors reinforced by a couple of DFTE's who were against the idea.....because they were not comfortable with flying a tail wheel airplane and felt that the nose draggers were the safest way to train.

Anyhow it all fell apart because I just could not convince the instructors to train on the Cub to solo.

Another strange thing I had an almost new Grumman Cheetah, bought it with only 250 hours TT on the thing.....most of the instructors did not like the Cheetah either, go figure....

So I bought a Piper Tomahawk and I'll be God Dammed if they didn't like it either because they didn't like the way it did spins....

After about six years of baby sitting flight instructors I finally sold the school, it just was not worth the bother trying to run it.

When I sold out I had two C172's three C150's one Tomahawk one Cheetah one Piper Geronimo and a Robinson R22 on floats.

Of all the flying businesses I have been involved in the flight school was the most frustrating and least profitable by far.

Oh, as to safety some of the instructors couldn't fly the Cub but they were very safe because they always turned on all the lights before they started to taxi.....you have to admit that having the nav lights on in the blazing sunlight of summer is proof that you really understand safety ....... :roll:

Cat





o
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2047
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Post by Lurch »

Come on now Cat, would you have us believe that you would put up with that crap from your employee's? :wink:

I thought Instructing was terrible these days, Instructors that couldn't fly a cub? :roll:

Well Cat I guess you witnessed first hand the deteriation of flight training as we know it.

BTW I would love to get to instruct on a Cub heck a tail dragger period, the most rewarding flying I have done was on a Citabria.

There's an idea, flight schools "only" train on tail draggers for the PPL then you get "checked out" on a tricycle gear. This would weed out the bad Pilots/Instructors. :wink:

Lurch
---------- ADS -----------
 
Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 11:27 am

Post by Blue Side Down »

Hence continues a world of mediocrity.
---------- ADS -----------
 
dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:24 am
Location: Miramar, California

Post by dangerous »

Sounds like you had some pretty fussy instructors Cat. Man, if my boss bought a new airplane, I'd jump at the chance to get checked out and start flying it. And if I whined about the airplanes that my company operates, I'd be expected to be shown to the door!
---------- ADS -----------
 
"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

" Sounds like you had some pretty fussy instructors Cat. "
I don't know if you could call them " fussy " I think the root problem was they were "structured" by the training program they were a product of.

In the end I decided it was better to just get rid of the school rather than remain stuck in a culture I could not see any future in remaining in.

Cat
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Delete
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Post by Doc »

crazymax....I was talking about a fourth year student....not a guy with twenty-five hours.
T01....bingo.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:32 am
Location: Pole vaulting

Post by Krashman »

Who is considered to be the "top flight schools" I know that at Harv's in Manitoba students just learn to deal with crosswinds right from day one. The runway is north south but very often are there winds from the northwest and south east. LOTS of X Wind

There are two Citabrias at the school and I personally have flown both after I was considered to be
"structured" by the training program they were a product of.

This sure opened my eyes and made my crosswind landings, althought good already, great in many difficult situations
---------- ADS -----------
 
Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

I am sure that many people in white shirts with gold bars on their shoulder will disagree, but ...

IMHO you shouldn't have a private pilot's licence if you can't land when the windsock is straight out across the runway.

You certainly shouldn't have a commercial licence, and there is NO WAY you should have an instructor's licence if you can't land a light trainer in a 15+ knot direct crosswind.
---------- ADS -----------
 
londonontario
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:02 pm

Post by londonontario »

well im just starting up flying i heard this skill is the hardest to master. i think ill stay to flying planes on a blight sunny, windles day
---------- ADS -----------
 
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Post by . ._ »

Landing in a cross wind is like sex.

Most pilots can do it, but aren't that great.

It takes practice to do it well.

-istp :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 10430
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 6:40 am
Location: CYSH
Contact:

Post by Hedley »

Don't run and hide from crosswinds. When the wind is howling across the runway, instead of going home, get a (senior) instructor and ask him to show you how to land on the upwind main only. If he can't do it, switch schools until you find one that can.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Crazymax
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 am

Post by Crazymax »

londonontario wrote:well im just starting up flying i heard this skill is the hardest to master. i think ill stay to flying planes on a blight sunny, windles day
Untill the day you get caught by weather and have to do it. Oops.

Max
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

Why is this even being discussed, no one should be issued a PPL unless they are profficient in flying at least to the demonstrated X/wind limits of the airplane they are taught in.

Anyone who can not understand this basic fact should not have a license to teach.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Post by Doc »

Half the problem with that, my good Cat, is the instructors probably can't fly in that much of a cross wind themselves. Seems they are a little timid in the face of such a challenge?
It's easy guys....just drop a wing, and feed in some foot!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

" Half the problem with that, my good Cat, is the instructors probably can't fly in that much of a cross wind themselves. "
How about when they are Class 1's or Class 2's?

Wouldn't that mean they are capable of flying in a X/wind at the demonstrated limits of those training airplanes?

What do you do when you get an FO that can't fly Doc?
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Post by Doc »

At the risk of sounding like a "horn blower", I specialize in cross winds. I just bloody love a good cross wind! If you know anybody I fly with ask them. I can (and do) come out of the sky like a wounded whale if there is no cross wind! I do cross wind "ballets" to try and teach them.
And, I have a FO that always used to have it a little sideways at touch down. They(his flight school)let him down on the cross wind thing. And I had a tough time with him, because I find cross winds so automatic, that I can't understand the problems some have with them?
It's been so long since I instructed, I don't remember if I had to demo a cross wind landing on a ride or not? A class 1 or 2 should surely have it all figured out? And I'd bet Seneca has mostly class 1's?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 9241
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:28 am

Post by Doc »

Maybe it's the tail wheel stuff again? I find a Dak easier to cross wind land, than a Beech? The Hawker is really easy in a cross wind too. Bet an RJ, with that narrow gear, could have it's moments.....and needs to be done just right?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

" Bet an RJ, with that narrow gear, could have it's moments.....and needs to be done just right? "
I never flew one but was in the jump seat one day in Cape Town when they had a real bastard of a X/wind and the pilot did a real good job of a crabbed approach and flare with a perfect application of rudder that resulted in a zero drift touch down.

In South Africa the RJ was called the Canadian Wing Dragger.

Yeh the Dak is a real pilots dream.....ever flown the Grumman Turbo Goose, now that sucker really is demanding in a X/wind both for take off and landing on pavement.

If you like X/wind landings you would get a real woody flying the Turbo Goose.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Rudderless
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm

Post by Rudderless »

It's all about confidence. Wait for a day with a good sporting crosswind and go out and do a bunch of takeoffs and landings. Aircraft have demonstrated crosswind values, that's your guidance. Work on your technique, and it will become second nature like anything else. You never know when you will need that skill (probably with pax on board!)
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18921
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by Cat Driver »

" It's all about confidence. Wait for a day with a good sporting crosswind and go out and do a bunch of takeoffs and landings. Aircraft have demonstrated crosswind values, that's your guidance. Work on your technique, and it will become second nature like anything else. "
Why would it not be reasonable to assume that anyone with a pilot license has been taught how to correct for a X/wind before they are given a pilot license?

I'm God Dammed if I would want any pilot teaching him / herself how to land in a X/wind in any airplane I own.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Post Reply

Return to “Flight Training”