ATPL Questions
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore
-
Charlie Papa Lima
- Rank 1

- Posts: 25
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:51 pm
ATPL Questions
Need help, working on Saron.
I am not getting the right answers for Questions #25 and #24 on the Flight Operations section of the Aero course Workbook. The only thing I can figure is we add the acceleration height.
Anyone have any directions?
I am not getting the right answers for Questions #25 and #24 on the Flight Operations section of the Aero course Workbook. The only thing I can figure is we add the acceleration height.
Anyone have any directions?
Which edition of Aerocourse? Also could you post the questions so other may benefit? I just recently wrote (mid april 2007) both SARON/SAMRA and passed both.
Charlie Papa Lima, I'll look them up later today; once I get home, and post help at that time, round 6pm-ish
Till then .... Standby
Charlie Papa Lima, I'll look them up later today; once I get home, and post help at that time, round 6pm-ish
Till then .... Standby
Last edited by Grey_Wolf on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Charlie, from the 4th edition
Q. 25 Flt Ops:
If the current temp at airport is 12C, what is min torque setting that a flight crew could set for a Dash 8-100 is a/c gross weight is 30,550lbs?
and
Q.26
At Castlegar airport, the wind is favoring 33 and temp is -4C. If a/c gross weight at t/o is 33,150lbs, what is min torque that flight crew can set for t/o roll?
In the 4th edition, there are revised charts on Aerocourse's Website. Once you have those, it's a matter of finding the a/c gross weight on the chart on reading across to the min torque. Temp and rwy hdg are there to throw you off.
So for Q.25 read down in Rwy 33 box till get 30,550lbs, which in this case is nearest but not over the 30,990 at the 42C level, read across, you get 77.2. As for Q.26 same deal but you get 33,700 at the 32C level, read across to 84.1
If I recall, these questions were address by me in an earlier post, try searching for it. ... found it
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... ht=#287937
Q. 25 Flt Ops:
If the current temp at airport is 12C, what is min torque setting that a flight crew could set for a Dash 8-100 is a/c gross weight is 30,550lbs?
and
Q.26
At Castlegar airport, the wind is favoring 33 and temp is -4C. If a/c gross weight at t/o is 33,150lbs, what is min torque that flight crew can set for t/o roll?
In the 4th edition, there are revised charts on Aerocourse's Website. Once you have those, it's a matter of finding the a/c gross weight on the chart on reading across to the min torque. Temp and rwy hdg are there to throw you off.
So for Q.25 read down in Rwy 33 box till get 30,550lbs, which in this case is nearest but not over the 30,990 at the 42C level, read across, you get 77.2. As for Q.26 same deal but you get 33,700 at the 32C level, read across to 84.1
If I recall, these questions were address by me in an earlier post, try searching for it. ... found it
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... ht=#287937
"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
-
soyouthinkyoucanfly?
- Rank 0

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am
ATPL Questions
Hey Wolf,
Thanks for your help, I am still not getting the right answers. I need to clairify a few things. I did have the corrected charts. I do have the 4th edition. Is the correction chart just for page 5-18 (Weight and Balance #28-31) or is it for pg 6-6 (Ops) as well?
I have read your explination for 28-31, and I am all clear now, but your explination of " find the one that is lower then your actural weight"
isn't working for FO 25 and 26. Did you mean pick the one that is higher then your actural wieght? because that gives me the right answer for 25, but I don't know why in 26 you don't use 33,160 on Rw 33 on the chart for a actual weight of 33,150.
For that question you used the Rw 15 chart when the winds were favoring rwy 33 in the question?
Listen I know I am being a pain in the but, but I really do appreciate the time you are spending. I am sweating a bit as I hope to write the Friday.
Thanks
Thanks for your help, I am still not getting the right answers. I need to clairify a few things. I did have the corrected charts. I do have the 4th edition. Is the correction chart just for page 5-18 (Weight and Balance #28-31) or is it for pg 6-6 (Ops) as well?
I have read your explination for 28-31, and I am all clear now, but your explination of " find the one that is lower then your actural weight"
isn't working for FO 25 and 26. Did you mean pick the one that is higher then your actural wieght? because that gives me the right answer for 25, but I don't know why in 26 you don't use 33,160 on Rw 33 on the chart for a actual weight of 33,150.
For that question you used the Rw 15 chart when the winds were favoring rwy 33 in the question?
Listen I know I am being a pain in the but, but I really do appreciate the time you are spending. I am sweating a bit as I hope to write the Friday.
Thanks
Correct !!! Used for bothThanks for your help, I am still not getting the right answers. I need to clairify a few things. I did have the corrected charts. I do have the 4th edition. Is the correction chart just for page 5-18 (Weight and Balance #28-31) or is it for pg 6-6 (Ops) as well?
As for 25, 26 ... pick the one that is higher without going over (hence the Bob Barker / Price is Right Reference in the previous thread). As for 26 although the winds are favoring 33, and we were taugh to take off into wind as VFR, it doesn't mean you can't take off with a tail wind. Plus the question asks what is the minimum torque setting. Using 33 would result in you using a higher setting into wind, as opposed to a tailwind with a lesser setting? Clear as mud?
"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
-
soyouthinkyoucanfly?
- Rank 0

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am
mud
Ok that works for 26 but not 25
33,550 actual
answer is 77.2% for Rwy 33 = 30,990
which is bigger but is over the actual.
You wouldn't know it but I have a science degree from Western(lots of math)
Help
33,550 actual
answer is 77.2% for Rwy 33 = 30,990
which is bigger but is over the actual.
You wouldn't know it but I have a science degree from Western(lots of math)
Help
Alright let's try this again ....
Q.25 - looking at 30,550lbs as GTW
Let's look at chart to start.
In the Rwy 15 column, we would have to scroll down chart until we find weight closest to ours. So we get 30,370 which would give us 80.0; however can not use this one since we are heavier. Hence we go up to the next one; 30,690 ( which is heavier than what we are actual) so we can use this one, why? remember newton F=ma? which gives us 81.8 is we use Rwy 15.
Following so far? Let's do the same for Rwy 33. Can't use 75.8 for 30,470 but can use 30,990 which reads 77.2.
So we have two anwers to chose from:
1 - 81.8 if we use Rwy 15
or
2 - 77.2 if we use Rwy 33
Refering back to original question of MINIMUM setting, we MUST chose 77.2.
Cool?
As for the SARON, the charts that they gave me were more "user friendly" than the ones in the Aerocourse for the Dash-8. Just to put your mind at ease.
Q.25 - looking at 30,550lbs as GTW
Let's look at chart to start.
In the Rwy 15 column, we would have to scroll down chart until we find weight closest to ours. So we get 30,370 which would give us 80.0; however can not use this one since we are heavier. Hence we go up to the next one; 30,690 ( which is heavier than what we are actual) so we can use this one, why? remember newton F=ma? which gives us 81.8 is we use Rwy 15.
Following so far? Let's do the same for Rwy 33. Can't use 75.8 for 30,470 but can use 30,990 which reads 77.2.
So we have two anwers to chose from:
1 - 81.8 if we use Rwy 15
or
2 - 77.2 if we use Rwy 33
Refering back to original question of MINIMUM setting, we MUST chose 77.2.
Cool?
As for the SARON, the charts that they gave me were more "user friendly" than the ones in the Aerocourse for the Dash-8. Just to put your mind at ease.
"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
-
soyouthinkyoucanfly?
- Rank 0

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am
ALPT help
MR Wolf or anyone else,
Well I am writing tomorrow morning.
Thanks again for the clairification. This is working well for me now. I am having trouble with an easy one. Flight operations #93. I understand the relation ship between IAS to CAS to EAS to TAS but I dont' know how to get a
TAS with only temp.
Any help would be great,
Thanks.
Well I am writing tomorrow morning.
Thanks again for the clairification. This is working well for me now. I am having trouble with an easy one. Flight operations #93. I understand the relation ship between IAS to CAS to EAS to TAS but I dont' know how to get a
TAS with only temp.
Any help would be great,
Thanks.
Once Again, .... Standby, Be home for 9pm EDT (GMT-4), i'll look it up, and hopefuly you'll get to reading it before you head in for the exam tomorrow (by the way Good Luck)
I believe the question you may be inquiring about, requires the flight computer. I used the CR-3/CR-5 from Jeppesen. If you have it, go to the manual under page 14.
Place CAS, opposite Pressure Altitude in the window on the inside scale near the left of the wheel under the rate index (big black triangle). Next you'll need to slide the plastic piece with the straight line and curvy line to make it match with the indicated air temp in the small window above the middle of the flight computer, once that's done, simply read down to the TAS.
As mentionned above, i'll look it up and post the correct answer ... so if i'm off base with the above, disregard
I believe the question you may be inquiring about, requires the flight computer. I used the CR-3/CR-5 from Jeppesen. If you have it, go to the manual under page 14.
Place CAS, opposite Pressure Altitude in the window on the inside scale near the left of the wheel under the rate index (big black triangle). Next you'll need to slide the plastic piece with the straight line and curvy line to make it match with the indicated air temp in the small window above the middle of the flight computer, once that's done, simply read down to the TAS.
As mentionned above, i'll look it up and post the correct answer ... so if i'm off base with the above, disregard
"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Yup .... was right ....
They give you the following and ask for computed TAS
FL330
IAS = 267 kts
Instrument & Position Error = +8 kts
Compressability Error = -13 kts
Inidacted OAT = -28C
Temperature Rise = 20C
Remember kids "ICE-T is a Pretty Cool Drink" .... the mnemonic i use to remember how to get different airspeeds
IAS to CAS = Position Error
CAS to EAS = Compressability
EAS to TAS = Density
*****
Hence for the following need CAS and PA, as well as Indicated Temp at altitude to plug in on the "whiz wheel" as mentionned above
IAS of 267 kts + 8 kts = 275 kts CAS
CAS opposite PA of FL330, set cursor on CR-3 to match -28C and read below to 456kts (I get 460ish)
They give you the following and ask for computed TAS
FL330
IAS = 267 kts
Instrument & Position Error = +8 kts
Compressability Error = -13 kts
Inidacted OAT = -28C
Temperature Rise = 20C
Remember kids "ICE-T is a Pretty Cool Drink" .... the mnemonic i use to remember how to get different airspeeds
IAS to CAS = Position Error
CAS to EAS = Compressability
EAS to TAS = Density
*****
Hence for the following need CAS and PA, as well as Indicated Temp at altitude to plug in on the "whiz wheel" as mentionned above
IAS of 267 kts + 8 kts = 275 kts CAS
CAS opposite PA of FL330, set cursor on CR-3 to match -28C and read below to 456kts (I get 460ish)
"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
-
TopperHarley
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1870
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:56 pm
-
soyouthinkyoucanfly?
- Rank 0

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am
so after all that worrying, was that question on your exam?!!!
I was a little hung up on that one as well, but luckly it was not on my exam, there was however a table on it that was not in the aerocourse, .*, or the studyguide.....had to pull the stops out to figure that one out
It sure is nice to finish the exam, and not know whick questions you got wrong.......
But i guess all that matters is the final mark.
I was a little hung up on that one as well, but luckly it was not on my exam, there was however a table on it that was not in the aerocourse, .*, or the studyguide.....had to pull the stops out to figure that one out
It sure is nice to finish the exam, and not know whick questions you got wrong.......
-
TopperHarley
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1870
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:56 pm
I just wrote them yesterday. I also just self-studied with the aerocourse workbook. It was more than enough. No real surprises. I had several questions dealing with HF communication. The airlaw questions were really easy and basic. The met practical questions were also easier than the workbook. If you do well on the aerocourse, you'll have absolutely no problem.merlin wrote:Ok for you guys who just wrote your exams. I'm writing on monday, and using AeroCourse to study too. Didn't that the course, just bored the books from a friend. Was there any surprizes, or was it pretty much as expected?
"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa

